“Tired hotel”

Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hinckley
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Although the hotel was clean, the room was in need of refurbishment. The wall paper was peeling off, the carpet was threadbare and there was minimal lighting in the bathroom. There were not enough electrical sockets. We ate in the restaurant and the menu was limited - salmon fillet was overdone and mushroom pasta tasteless. Staff were very kind but that does hide the fact that the hotel needs money spending on it. Would nor recommend it.

Room Tip: I should imagine they are all the same
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SazK955
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Reviewer,

We have many variations of rooms which can been seen clearly on our website some of which have recently been refurbished. Should you visit us again please discuss any requirements with our reservations team who would be only to happy to help.

There are newer reviews for Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We held our wedding there a couple of weeks ago. Everything went smoothly and the day went exactly how we wanted. The staff were happy to accommodate me running around doing my 'bride' things before the wedding and nothing was too much trouble. We held our wedding and reception in the new part and we (and our guests) had room's in the new part also. Room's were lovely, no complaints. Excellent wedding venue for photograph opportunities, the grounds are lovely and well kept. Looked at other places but glad we chose this venue. Reasonably priced wedding package, and the food served was served hot and tasted great. All our guests commented on the quality of the food.

Room Tip: The newer part of the hotel is better if you're fussy about quality, like me. The junior suites...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Congratulations on your Wedding Day and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, we really enjoyed looking after your party. Hope to see you after the honeymoon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

For me, you could be in the finest looking hotel in the land, but that would be nothing without good staff.
The girls on reception were smiley and genuinely friendly. I washed for local advice about food and places to visit over my 2 days and they were always really helpful and gave good recommendations.

Other Great points:

-Room size - Loads of space almost like a suite in a normal hotel.
-Room spec - Very comfy bed / bedding and nice shower and bathroom.
-Gym and pool are one of the best I've seen in a hotel before.
-Good onsite parking.
-Good breakfast

Where they could improve

-Maybe have zircon installed in rooms? It's very hot in there
-Update the carpets and fittings. Very dated although well maintained. Dark wood and floral carpets are not in this world anymore really!

Would I stay again? - Absolutely yes

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Good Morning,

Its not often that people take the time to share their thoughts in a positive light and therefore at times social media can become quite negative and a forum to complain. Thank you for allowing readers of this website the opportunity to read a balanced review.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed in an Exec Double room so we could have some space for our young son. The hotel has some refurbished rooms in a newer section and we had no complaints about the quality of our very large room. It was actually one of the biggest rooms we have stayed in and it was really good value for a 2 night weekend stay. The older rooms look tired on the website so we would strongly advise staying in the refurb/newer rooms.

The hotel was generally nice with a tidy bar and outdoor seating area. The food quality was generally pretty decent, if a tad expensive for some bar snacks. The service is the most variable thing about the hotel. It seemed you got a different price each time you bought the same drink and staff were making it up as they went along. There were problems at check out with other family members having the wrong bill.

Unfortunatley one of my lasting memories of the hotel was a page in the guest guide. I have stayed in many hotels in many different countries but never have I seen an itemised cost of each item in the event you steal it. It was quite frankly pathetic and needs a serious rethink to treat guests like the adults they are.

Room Tip: Go for newer rooms and Exec double are very big
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for your recent review, please be advised the letter which should have been removed from your room was placed at the request of a residential conference and has now been removed from all rooms. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I hope no offence was caused.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just spent 2 nights on a Go Leicester break and thoroughly enjoyed it. After an easy check in we made our way to our family room.

With most family rooms you expect a bed and a put me up, but this room had two enormous, very comfy, beds.

The bathroom again was very large with both huge bath and large separate shower.

The leisure facilities were good for us even if the pool was a little deep for my 8 year old, they still loved it.

We only ate breakfast but their was lots of choice and it was piping hot. I would stop here again no hesitation..

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

So glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Having received a Treat Me voucher as a wedding present, we decided to use it for a spa break to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. We booked Sketchley Grange back in January and only checked reviews in the week leading up to our trip. I became slightly anxious after reading a number of more negative reviews about the hotel, but figured people only tend to leave feedback when they've not had such a good time.
To give credit where credit is due, our room was very spacious and offered everything we would need - wardrobe space, iron, tea/coffee etc. The spa was also great, we spent a good few hours relaxing and unwinding before dinner. Restaurant 52 was nice and airy with great natural light, the staff seemed friendly and attentive, but, like other reviews I had read, it did seem to be trying to be much more than it actually was.
Unfortunately, the number of negatives does outweigh the positives... The first thing we noticed in our room, was that there was a number of air conditioning units outside our window which resulted in a constant humming. This made it quite difficult to relax and my wife really struggled to sleep as the room was hot and stuffy as we couldn't open the windows because of the noise. A room fan was provided, but you can't beat fresh air!
The decor in the room was very dated, again not really fitting in with the hotels claim to be 4*. Patches of the carpet were worn very thin and lights in the main room and bathroom weren't working, making the bathroom particularly, quite gloomy.
There was a hole in the bed sheet and my wife was unlucky enough to step on a toe nail that had been left by the previous guests in the room and hadn't been cleaned up. To top it all, there was a list in the hand book, something which I've never seen before, detailing the 'prices' of each item in the room and warning you how much you'd be charged if you stole them. This included £800 for the television... No it wasn't a 50" HD, 3D model, quite the opposite in fact.
All in all, I think Sketchley Grange has a lot of potential, but it seems to be taking on and trying to do more than it's capable of doing. It seemed to be in a sleepy winter state which, at the end of June, it just shouldn't be.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

All of your comments have been noted both positive and negative and I wish to thank you for bringing such matters to my attention. In have shared your review with all departments so the necessary improvements can be made. It would seem that due to the hot weather the air conditioning units have been in full use although I believe the noise issue raised has now been rectified.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Purchased voucher for myself & sister to have a relaxing luxurious spa day. The hotel itself needed some 'touches' like perhaps flowers or a bowl of fruit maybe - anything really, for a 4* hotel you would expect these little touches. there had been a terrible leak so the waiting area was quite a mess although nobody explained why until we looked up and saw the obvious damage to the ceiling.Young work experience lads appeared to be running the place without any supervision. The massage itself was pretty good although impersonal (wasn't introduced to our masseur's who appeared once the receptionist had shown us into the treatment room and asked us to prepare ourselves). As we left the spa part to go and have lunch in the main hotel, was shouted to for our keys by one of the work experience lads in not a very pleasant manor.We wanted to have a nice early lazy lunch in the sun so were the first to arrive at the bar. Had to wait quite some time before anybody came (20 mins) and then he seemed to keep avoiding us until we asked him to take our order! He turned out to be quite pleasant once he finally took notice of us. Ordered sandwiches but had to wait just under 1 hour for the sandwiches to be served!! - No apology or anything and served by the same bar man. By now, a few other people had arrived and appeared to be served by a suited waiter, not sure why this could have been though!! The food was nice - average but unfortunately not what we had ordered! I ordered a toasted brie/bacon & cranberry panini. I received a cheddar & bacon toasted french stick!! Too hungy to complain and certainly didn't want to wait another hour. The coffee was served with a bowl of lumpy white sugar and no spoon to stir the drinks and in the afternoon, the tea was served with brown sugar and a jug with very little milk to the point where the guy serving the tea (in his 'shorts n' tee shirt' ) even commented that there wasn't much milk and he may have to bring more!!! Not sure why he didn't just bring enough milk in the first place!! He didn't know how much it was so I suggested he go find out and let me know which he did! Considering we were the first to arrive for lunch, the sides were very untidy and the tables unclean! The jug of water on the side was warm (asked for iced water but was told there wan't any) and the plastic cups were used for children to play with in the pool and then left on the side to be used!
The facilities in the spa area were quite nice but the whole place required some senior management guidance and some personal touches to 'pretty' the place up! Shame really because the complete experience could have been 100% better under a decent management team. Work experence lads are not really appropriate for a spa - especially without supervision or guide lines.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Louisa02

Good Morning,

Please accept our apologies for the unforeseen leek experienced during your recent visit with us
and for the work experience gentlemen who clearly marred your visit, although I can assure you that due to health and safety restrictions both work experience who were there for the day were most definitely supervision. In terms of the food service I have spoken to our restaurant manager who wishes to be associated with my apology.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Jurys Inn Hinckley Island
#11 of 40 in Leicester
Badgers Mount Hotel
Badgers Mount Hotel
#1 of 1 in Elmesthorpe

Been to Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!