“Spacious and quiet”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hinckley
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Spacious and quiet”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We booked 3 nights break (Contemporary Junior Suite) from Amazon deal. It was a great deal. Positive - spacious room, quiet location, clean, air condition, safe box, 5 mins drive to Hinckley town, plenty of parking space, lovely swimming pool, spa, sauna, steam room, gym, lovely warm shower in changing room and Best of all is the comfortable King size bed with 2 pillows.
Negative - slow free wifi, lukewarm water for bath, no fridge and coffee table need attention.
Buffet breakfast is fine for us but if I were to pay full price without Amazon deal then it's simply not enough choices.
Recommend going swimming after 7pm as kids will not be allowed after that time. Overall enjoyable stayed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sean888285
GMSketchleyGrange, General Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your insightful comments. We will use these to further develop the facilities we have at the hotel. We look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Leighton Buzzard
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Bullet points for ease....

1. 35 mins to check in as only one person on desk.
2. No towels in the spa....was told there would be one left for me but I still had to wait wet and cold when the spa reception said there were still no towels and I'll have to wait 10 mins....I suggest that they go and get one.
3. I was sat in the sauna and it seemed to be a running joke with the club members that even after repeat complaints the benches were still broken..(oh and the lack of towels as they said 'towel'
4. Went back to the room and did my Pilates.....it's amazing what you see at floor level not sure I saw a Hoover in my two nights there!
5. They allow dogs in the hotel so if you don't like a dog barking from 7 am through till me having to get up and check out at 930 because the noise was so bad the management team seemed to have no answer on how to solve the problem ( a little hint..... You make us give phone numbers when we check in... Try calling it!)

On the ok side
1. Bathroom was well appointed and clean
2. The room was well appointed and bed was comfy
3. The food was ok and well priced

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank JohnBurns1234
Thank you for the review. We have taken everything you have said on board and have now set a date to have both the benches fixed plus a larger supply of towels. Whilst barking dogs are slightly out of our control I agree this should have been dealt with better and will pass on your comments to the relevant team members

Travellers are raving about these Hinckley hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was so pleased to be having a spa day with my daughter for some "us time", all my hope were dashed on arrival to Spa Reception , Firstly to be told they had a problem , it being the manager had "gone off home " the night before with the treatment room keys, there was to be no towels or robes , as stated in the agreement / contract, we were ushered to a very untidy changing room , laden with litter and benches with dirty towel etc , told to get changed and have coffee and the towels, robes etc would follow when the keys were collected and returned from Liecester ! We were looking forward to a nice relaxing day of pampering and peace , Wrong we entered the pool area to be met by screaming noisy kids !!!!! splashing and running around , a quick retreat to the sauna and they were there too , It was bad enough to see them at the spa (not being warned in advance) but to see children in the sauna/ steam room ?????? the treatments were late , although ok , just but there was lots of other issues , dirty towels , the robes smelt used too the changing areas pealing paint ,I could go on , I DID NOT make for a relaxing day, if you want that dont go to this "SPA"

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank yvonne2124
Thank you so much for your review. I apologise the Spa experience was not up to your expectations. As I am sure you can appreciate being a full service hotel during the summer in particular we can see the number of children increase significantly. We are committed to providing the best and fairest service to all our patrons so have now introduced child swim times during the holidays to help maximise the experience for all concerned. Thank you once again for your invaluable feedback
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

First impression on arrival - Nice building and ample of parking spaces and additional to the side.We stayed at the hotel in a family room.Room was very good & very big.Decor was modern.Warm welcome on arrival.Everything was set up just needed to sign and pick up fob.Allocated room on ground floor.General cleanliness of the room was okay.Toilet looked clean at the first instance but it was obviously not as it was dirty under the toilet seat.bed side table looked cleaned but could do with some paint.Good storage space & iron box provided.Leisure facilities very good.Didn't try the breakfast.Bar selection was good and was busy.Overall experience good and would like to come back

Room Tip: Away from conference hall
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hkpbath
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you very much for your balanced review, you have made some very interesting and valid points which I will raise with the team and address. Thank you for taking the time to review and we hope to see you again soon.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The very definition of nondescript. The decor was . . . . nondescript, the room was . . . . nondescript, the restaurant, 'social areas', . . . . . all - you have the picture by now. We stayed for one night as we had an appointment in Leicester the following day. I can't think of a positive reason to stay here for any other reason than to break a journey. Maybe the hotel specialises in weddings or family celebrations. Who knows? Unfortunately the staff did not raise the level of averageness. The receptionist at check-in was over familiar (or maybe it was Midlands bonhomie?), a simple request for tea bags in the room (there were one), was ignored, then brought forth sachets of powdered milk and sugar, then a full pot of tea before nine (I counted them), catering tea bags were thrust at me when I opened the door. Maybe I expected too much. A boutique hotel it is not and does not attempt to be.I can't help thinking that with a little more thought, effort and imagination the Sketchley Grange could be so much better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 52Asher
I am so sorry that you found the hotel not to your liking, however, I am sure you will agree that décor is sometimes a personal choice. We do have many happy returning guests and we do get an abundance of compliments about the team who work here. You can imagine therefore how surprised I was to read your comments about our receptionists as the feedback particularly in this area is always very complimentary.
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have stayed here a few times with work, however this will be the last.

firstly every room I have got has been dirty and lack of attention to detail, the cutlery is always dirty and the plates have bits of food on the underside.

I was waiting over 20 minutes to be served at the bar with a queue of over 20 people, the bar being ran by one person.

In the corners of the bathroom there were pubic hairs along with numerous daddy long legs in the room. the wallpaper was falling off the walls as per my pictures.

I did not have an iron in my room, after kindly requesting numerous times throughout my stay I did get one in the end, but I have to ask 4 times before this happening over a period of 3 days.

Lastly the wireless is non-functional on every visit, I can connect briefly and then it drops out, the same issue happens with all of my colleagues, so I have ruled out it is not an issue with my device.

All in all, not a great experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank karl g
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 September 2014
Dear Karl,
It would appear that there were unforeseen issues relating to free wi-fi during your stay for which I apologise and can confirm that this has now been rectified. Your room which had suffered some water damage due to a previous leak has also been repaired and redecorated and thank you so much for bringing this to our attention.
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Sometimes when you've been booked in somewhere not of your own choosing, that can be fun in a potluck sort of way, sometimes not...

I'm here for a golf day down the road. Nice to be invited, so I'm not too bothered about anything. At the moment..

You get an impression about who owns a place like this from the website: maybe some farmer cum property developer with an eye for an easier life than milking cows? Maybe some builder with a bit of land and whose wife fancied her own spa...?

Not meaning to be too unkind because in front of me in the check-in queue waiting for the sole receptionist to process us all, are two different groups of excited girls with mums on what might be a major treat or hen night or two. The optimist in me can't help hoping for them that it'll be better than what I can see so far.

Anyway, off they troop happily and then I confirm I'm with a party of four and apparently I have a 'junior suite'. No such suite but never mind, I get a key and troop off myself with baggage to top floor.

If size meant everything, this room would have scored highly. It's big, airy and sort of new, in an IKEA show-house sort of way.

If privacy meant everything it would have scored 'null-points', primarily because the wardrobe was full of someone else's clothes, and the drawers had someone else's flotsam. Wouldn't be so bad had it been full of frocks, but it was clearly a businessman on a training course. Fortunately he wasn't snoring in bed or whistling in the shower so he wasn't as surprised as I was!

Returning to reception I got no more than a 'sorry 'bout that - 'bookings must have made a mistake'.

Got a new room. Again another IKEA lookalike but ok. No towel rail but I was past caring by now.

A good way to see how clean a room is, is to practice a little yoga. If you want to see if the carpet is clean, lie on the floor in a sphinx-pose followed by lying flat face down. Use all your senses - sight, smell, touch...While your spine is straightening out, you can count the different hair types on the carpet, smell the dust, and feel any stickiness with your fingertips. It also gives you the chance to inspect under the bed with your sideways neck-stretch.

This carpet - despite its IKEA new look - clearly hadn't been hoovered for a while, and indeed under the bed never ever.....unless the last residents had thrown a wrestling party and the cleaner had lied on her time sheet.

But hey, the telly was good, the bath big, the mirror huge, so never mind....let's go to the bar...

Again big - in a middle grade nightclub sort of way. Nice enough terrace, with IKEA furniture. And lots of flies for some reason. And dirty beer glasses...

And so it went on. I'm sorry to say I couldn't wait to leave this soul-less place. I really do hope the girls enjoyed their wedding/hen night.

I hope the 'spa' didn't disappoint too many either. Another pet hate are hotels which use the 'spa word' with abandon. Can't help thinking there should be some form of grading to separate those with proper spa facilities and professional practitioners from those with a dodgy pool and poky sauna.

Sorry if the owners are now indignant, but I've been to B&B's with much more clue as to how to run a hospitality business.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank AlsWildAdventures
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I can only apologise if you were allocated a room incorrectly and I am so surprised that this was not brought to my attention ether by the alleged guest in situ or indeed by the receptionist as I would have certainly come to apologise to you in person whilst you were in the property. However, as I am sure you will understand sometimes with the best intentions in the world we do make mistakes. Your review makes reference to the décor of the hotel; and I wish to take the opportunity to highlight that we have several types of rooms and therefore I would urge readers to visit our website, and view the room types for themselves. We have many guests who comment about the hotel in a positive light and are very complimentary. However, I fully respect your opinion and the review made. Once again I can only apologise that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Jurys Inn Hinckley Island
Hilton Leicester
Hilton Leicester
#11 of 40 in Leicester
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,449 reviews

Been to Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!