“worst weekend of our lives”

Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hinckley
South Shields, United Kingdom
“worst weekend of our lives”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

where do I start arrived Saturday on an national mystery tour our room was very dated we have stayed in better Travelodges. went to the bar for a drink and decided on a cocktail had a choice of 5 just chose the first on list and was told by the young barman he had no idea how to make it he went away to ask another staff member by this time there was a large que as he was the only staff on.we then went for our meal and was informed we had to sit in a different room to other hotel customers for what reason I don't no but it was very small and cramped.when the soup arrived we had to ask what kind it was no one could work out what it tasted of, the fish and chips were frozen and the desert was dry and tasteless.that evening we went into town for a few drinks arrived back 11 30 straight off to bed as it had been a long day opened our room door and the floor was vibrating with the music down stairs, at 1145 went to reception to complain and the night manager karl payne informed us it was a private function and it would be finishing in about 20 minutes, went back to our room waited till 12 20 it was getting louder, got ready again went back to reception the manager apologised and came back to our room with us to access the noise he admitted we could not sleep there with the music that loud ,he said he would change our room and went away, he returned and said the hotel was full. but we could be moved to another hotel if we wished or he would go downstairs and shut the music off we said if u can do that we would rather just stay we were tired and it was very late, another 15 minutes passed nothing had happened the floor was still banging with music. got ready again we went back to reception and was told the party had been extended till 2 am and it was out of his hands by this time me and my husband were very angry and we did raise our voices and demanded to be moved to another hotel the manager arranged another hotel in coventry 13 miles away but we had to make our own way there in the middle of the night ha I don't think so, and make our own way back next morning .so we decided we would just sleep in reception on the sofas to which replied u can not do that I will have to phone the police if you refuse to move we replied you do that we have paid to sleep in your hotel and we cannot do that in our room.by this time other guests had started to come and complain about the noise nothing I can do they were told by the manager. at 2 am 4 police officers arrived me and my husband could not believe it,they had a word with the manager and then came over to me and my husband they said why are yous refusing to leave the reception area yous have been offered another room which we replied yes in Coventry are yous going to take us there they were bemused and laughed the manger hadnt informed them where the other room was..we went back to our room with the police at 210 and the noise had stopped by this time I was very tired and crying and just wanted my bed..next morning we went to complain and the day manager was very nice but i just wanted to go home I have never been so embarressed in my life but we had to stay another night as our coach wasn't leaving until the Monday so.we stayed out of hotel all day and evening we didn't even stay for our meals I couldn't face it..next day my husband persuaded me to go with him for breakfast as he was hungry and it was going to be a long day as we were leaving for home I said to a member of staff I don't want anything to eat just a coffee please she replied u have a kettle in your room to make coffee and I replied I would like to sit with my husband while he has his breakfast if u don't mind I have never wanted to get home from a weekend break so much in my life I would like to have spoken to someone personally but they only give you a email address to contact them. 4 star hotel no way rooms dated staff very young and unqualified, and was made to feel like a second class citizen for being on a national coach trip

Room Tip: don't stay in 120 121 122 or 123 above function room
9 Thank jean g
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 September 2014
Dear Jean,
After talking with one of my managers at length I am sorry you left feeling the hotel had not met your expectations. There are a number of comments outlined in your review which I have of course investigated, some which I have noted for training purposes, although the statements gathered do seem to conflict with your review above. I do hope after speaking with the manager on site we have gone some way to restore some confidence with our property.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed in Sketchley Grange with my husband and two friends, I was very impressed with the size of the room - king size bed, sofa, coffee table, desk, several chairs and very large bathroom with separate very powerful shower. We had a drink in the bar before going out for food and it was a pleasant place to sit and chat. The beds were comfortable and there wasn't too much noise. The spa looked good and the changing rooms were well equipped however it was very busy on the bank holiday Sunday afternoon so we couldn't use the jacuzzi or have a proper swim in the pool. The breakfast was nice if not a little over priced for the quality and choice of food. The scrambled eggs were awful - far too wet with the consistency of porridge - mentioned it to the waitress who said they made it like that so it didn't change colour (poor excuse). Would return if in the area as long as we could stay in the same standard of room ( room 157).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GMSketchleyGrange, General Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you so much for the review, we are glad you had a great stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon
Lincolnshire England
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We returned after being offered a free complimentary stay after suffering a very low grade stay back in April. After complaining to management we were offered one nights bed and breakfast in a junior suite on a date of our choosing as recompense. We only agreed to a second visit on the guarantee we would not be housed in the old part of the hotel. We arrived with trepidation as the room we were allocated on our last visit was worse than abysmal but were delighted to be given a decent sized suite of very modern design. All appeared very clean, the bed was huge, the bathroom nicely appointed and the furnishings all appeared relatively new. We made ourselves comfortable and checked out all the facilities, everything seemed in good working order however we could not control the extremely powerful shower. The jet was so strong the spray shot straight over the top of the cubicle so the only way to shower was to hold the shower head in one hand and wash with the other. A bit awkward.... my husband tried, thinking it was just me, but he couldn't control it either. I resorted to the extremely enjoyable soak in the bath instead so not a real problem. The room was a totally different experience this time, it was like stopping in a different hotel. In all honesty I think the old battered rooms should not be in use when such beautiful well appointed rooms are on offer. They can only risk dragging the opinion of the hotel down, which based on our experience this time is a real shame. The bed was comfy, the floor was vacuumed, the bathroom was spotless, the decor was modern, clean and welcoming. We used the pool, had a drink in the bar and walked into the village and used the pub and the Indian Restaurant both of which can be highly recommended and are within an easy walking distance or a short taxi ride away. We tried out the breakfast, which sometimes we don't bother with, however it was really quite good. It was a help yourself affair but there are staff around to serve you tea and coffee. The service was fine and the food was hot and tasty. Overall we had a very pleasant stay. Our room was no 82 on the ground floor, just around the corner from the bar area, however we heard hardly any noise and got a pretty decent sleep. We now plan return so long as we can specify what room we are allocated. Our stay was very enjoyable and cannot, in any way, be compared to what we experienced last time. Our faith is restored and this is now a place on our return list. Thank you

Room Tip: Most definitely you must specify a room in the new part of the hotel...
1 Thank Kindlelover07
Thank you so much for writing a review once again. We are so happy your opinion of the hotel has changed as I know myself and the staff work tirelessly to make everyone have the best time possible. We are also really pleased you will return as this is the highest compliment to us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay and was very impressed with our room. It was on the ground floor and in the new part. Two king size beds and lots if space and the bathroom was lovely. Everything was clean and comfortable. The spa facilities are lovely. The pool is big enough to give half to where the children can splash about with the other half for adults to swim. A large jacuzzi which was very warm, loads of loungers to relax on, a steam room and a sauna (although unfortunately this wasn't working) the changing rooms were spacious and had everything you needed. The only thing that let the hotel down slightly was the restaurant. We were on a Go Leicester package and was offered a special priced evening meal package which was good value. The service was a bit slow and they hadn't got the dessert left that we wanted. Portions weren't huge but enough especially with the love,y bread and dips that were brought to the table. Breakfast was nice although a little chaotic with the room not big enough for the amount of people. We sat in the 'bistro' which was actually quieter. Had to wait for more plates and then more bacon to come out. Coffee was served to you at the table but would have been better on a help yourself especially where we sat away from the main dining room. I would definitely recommend this hotel to couples and families alike. We were very happy with what we got for the money that we had paid.

Room Tip: Room 83 was lovely
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you askcat for the kind review. We seem to be getting a lot of good comments about our Stay, Play, Explore stays so we are glad you enjoyed your time here too. On your point regarding breakfast we are always looking to improve the service where we can so thanks for letting us know
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is primarily a hotel with pool and gym attached. The pool area was very noisy - full of screaming children and not at all inviting for two teachers looking to relax! The room in the hotel was lovely, big comfy beds although there could have been more provided on the hospitality tray. The food at dinner was awful, braised topside was a lump of shredded meat that had been clumped together, the smallest amount of potato I've ever seen and cold carrots. The shortbread however was amazing. The treatments in the spa were a little silly, having been given a manicure with my swimsuit straps down and robe off I was expected to get dressed without smudging the polish - impossible I'm afraid and the polish had to come straight off. Will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah R
Dear Sarah
We appreciate your feedback and will take all points on board. A couple of things I would like to raise is that we have now established child swimming times to help Spa customers enjoy the facilities as well as the guests. With regards to the hospitality tray we do supply a selection of teas and coffee to last at least a couple of days but should you require more anyone is welcome to contact reception who will be happy to help. I am quite concerned about the food issue as we generally get good comments regarding this, did you raise the issue at the time? If so then we would have been happy to exchange the dish for something else. Thanks for the feedback once again.

Travellers are raving about these Hinckley hotels

southport
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We had a huge family room with two king size beds which were extremely comfortable. This was an executive room so I can't comment on the standard rooms. The staff were very pleasant and attentive. Our booking included a visit to Twycross zoo which made the stay very reasonable indeed. Would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an executive room the standards are first class
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you ever so much for your kind words, I shall pass on your appreciation to the staff who I know always try to make the guests have the best experience possible. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you again in the near future.
Derby
Reviewed 21 August 2014

we have been here twice and enjoyed our stay and use of spa. Although with the décor being a bit dated it is more like a 3 star than a 4 star. but you get what you pay for and so it is as we expect at the room rate we paid. would be nice to have a refurb.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for the kind review and returning to the hotel, we always value repeat business. I can confirm that we are looking to refurb elements of the hotel in the near future so please watch this space
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Jurys Inn Hinckley Island
#11 of 40 in Leicester
Badgers Mount Hotel
Badgers Mount Hotel
#1 of 1 in Elmesthorpe

Been to Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!