“Spa treatment let our stay down!”

Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hinckley
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We booked a 2 day spa stay for a friends 40th birthday. The actual hotel staff/bar staff and restaurant staff were all so lovely. The food was beautiful and rooms nice (though my adjoining door wouldn't lock so I spent the second night in with a friend). I had a pedicure with a young girl (Rosie I think) who had started working there the day before and it was shocking!! She cut my nails at one end and then pulled the rest off and didn't even file them! She hardly touched my feet with the hard skin file and then painted my nails but some toes were darker than other's!! I can't believe I didn't say anything and am annoyed with myself I didn't. I ended up having to paint them again myself that evening and file all my nails so they didn't rip up the bed sheets! Thankfully I had a facial that afternoon with a different girl and it was heaven!!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Andibb
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Andibb,

I am so sorry that your spa treatment was not as expected and you would of been so right in letting us know whilst you were on site. Please give me a call as I would like to understand more about feedback

Write a ReviewReviews (1,133)

Reviewed 29 August 2014

So I booked on the basis I was told that the hotel had undergone some renovation and had got better.. BUT sadly there is still a transition period ! We booked a junior suite, but were directed to a very dated disabled family room, with a tiny double bed and an extra single! upon asking reception what had happened they advised that the room we were booked into was now taken?!? (obviously someone complained before us) the ONLY room now available in the hotel was suffering with Damp.. We could either take the room with Damp or have a 50% discount.. As it happens we took the room with the damp.. it did smell a little but the other room was so bad even at 50% discount it wasn't worth it.

On the up side you can see the hotel has promise the new rooms are decorated well and areas of the hotel are definitely 4* standard. The food is also really good and great value !

The hotel staff did give us FREE breakfast and a bottle of wine.. we don't drink red so that was pretty pointless.. I think once the renovation is complete it could be OK but until then make sure you check 100% you have a new room

personally wont be staying here again , but i would go for dinner

1  Thank lblaxill

Dear Reviewer,

I understand your disappointment in not having one of our contemporary suites and I can only apologise for the unforeseen problem with your room. We have many styles of rooms some of which are more traditional than others and some which are very modern, but as you will imagine both styles appeal to different types of customers. I do hope you will reconsider using us again, if you do please call me direct and I will personally ensure your room choice is correct.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

This was my second time at the Sketchley Grange on business and this time the only rooms available were the upgraded Executive rooms. More expensive but it's like staying in a different hotel. The Executive rooms are in a different part of the hotel and are very contemporary. It was a hot day when I stayed and the rooms have the added benefit of air conditioning which was great. The rooms were huge, I had two 6 foot doubles in mine and still loads of space. The bathroom was very modern, with large bath and a separate shower cubicle. The room also had iron and ironing board and a safe and a large flat screen TV. I thought the food was better this time too, I ate out on the terrace from the bar menu in the evening and the food was hot and plentiful. Breakfast also seemed better this time too. All in all a much better stay. My advise, if you are staying for a leisure break the upgraded Exec rooms are well worth the extra, if you are on business and only need a bed for the night the classic rooms are adequate albeit a bit dated.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you in Sketchley again soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We stayed here as a family of 4, myself, husband and 2 daughters (aged 7 & 9) we stayed in room 166 which was HUGE!! it had 2 super king/ queen?? sized beds the bathroom was bigger than our bedroom back home! with a separate bath and shower, room spotlessly clean and very modern (we were obviously in the newer part of the hotel) we had access to wifi throughout the stay, and had a 42 inch flatscreen tv with freeview too. we made full use of the pool area, testing the sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi!, it was a big hit with us all, (although I did find the pool slightly on the chilly side!!) we ate out for our evening meal using the flaming grill pub about 1mile down the road which was good value, so cannot comment on the hotels evening menu, but we took advantage of the breakfast in the morning!!, had so much to choose from it was a struggle to decide!!, the waiters were very attentive and polite- offering refills of tea and coffee all the time, we were also given a tip by another family that although not advertised- if you ask- they will cook you fresh pancakes also!! cannot fault the place, and will definitely use it again for our next stay play explore adventure!! thank you!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle B

I am so please that you and your family had such a wonderful stay with us, I do hope we see you again soon and thank you so much for taking the time write to share your experience.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Surprised with this hotel, for all the right reasons generally. Great room with wifi etc, far better than a Premier Inn for much the same sort of money.
The evening meal (I had pork fillet) was well cooked. Some might say the menu wasn't that big, but there was enough of a choice if you were staying a couple of nights. Staying longer might be an issue. After the evening meal, I was looking forward to breakfast.......but a real let down. Buffet-style and reheated generally. Didn't even offer a choice of eggs - just the powdered scrambled variety. Come on - you must be able to do better than this! Maybe I chose the wrong day?
I would go back again and will, but not sure I would pay over £10 for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
GMSketchleyGrange, General Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear UncleBob
Thank you for your feedback and your kind words about the hotel. It is unfortunate you didn't enjoy your breakfast but I can assure you that we do offer all types of egg on request although this should probably be communicated better. All food is cooked fresh on the day and all the eggs are 100% not powdered and are made fresh on the premises as well. We are glad you enjoyed your stay on the whole and look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 26 August 2014

where do I start arrived Saturday on an national mystery tour our room was very dated we have stayed in better Travelodges. went to the bar for a drink and decided on a cocktail had a choice of 5 just chose the first on list and was told by the young barman he had no idea how to make it he went away to ask another staff member by this time there was a large que as he was the only staff on.we then went for our meal and was informed we had to sit in a different room to other hotel customers for what reason I don't no but it was very small and cramped.when the soup arrived we had to ask what kind it was no one could work out what it tasted of, the fish and chips were frozen and the desert was dry and tasteless.that evening we went into town for a few drinks arrived back 11 30 straight off to bed as it had been a long day opened our room door and the floor was vibrating with the music down stairs, at 1145 went to reception to complain and the night manager karl payne informed us it was a private function and it would be finishing in about 20 minutes, went back to our room waited till 12 20 it was getting louder, got ready again went back to reception the manager apologised and came back to our room with us to access the noise he admitted we could not sleep there with the music that loud ,he said he would change our room and went away, he returned and said the hotel was full. but we could be moved to another hotel if we wished or he would go downstairs and shut the music off we said if u can do that we would rather just stay we were tired and it was very late, another 15 minutes passed nothing had happened the floor was still banging with music. got ready again we went back to reception and was told the party had been extended till 2 am and it was out of his hands by this time me and my husband were very angry and we did raise our voices and demanded to be moved to another hotel the manager arranged another hotel in coventry 13 miles away but we had to make our own way there in the middle of the night ha I don't think so, and make our own way back next morning .so we decided we would just sleep in reception on the sofas to which replied u can not do that I will have to phone the police if you refuse to move we replied you do that we have paid to sleep in your hotel and we cannot do that in our room.by this time other guests had started to come and complain about the noise nothing I can do they were told by the manager. at 2 am 4 police officers arrived me and my husband could not believe it,they had a word with the manager and then came over to me and my husband they said why are yous refusing to leave the reception area yous have been offered another room which we replied yes in Coventry are yous going to take us there they were bemused and laughed the manger hadnt informed them where the other room was..we went back to our room with the police at 210 and the noise had stopped by this time I was very tired and crying and just wanted my bed..next morning we went to complain and the day manager was very nice but i just wanted to go home I have never been so embarressed in my life but we had to stay another night as our coach wasn't leaving until the Monday so.we stayed out of hotel all day and evening we didn't even stay for our meals I couldn't face it..next day my husband persuaded me to go with him for breakfast as he was hungry and it was going to be a long day as we were leaving for home I said to a member of staff I don't want anything to eat just a coffee please she replied u have a kettle in your room to make coffee and I replied I would like to sit with my husband while he has his breakfast if u don't mind I have never wanted to get home from a weekend break so much in my life I would like to have spoken to someone personally but they only give you a email address to contact them. 4 star hotel no way rooms dated staff very young and unqualified, and was made to feel like a second class citizen for being on a national coach trip

Room Tip: don't stay in 120 121 122 or 123 above function room
9  Thank jean g
GMSketchleyGrange, Manager at Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2014

Dear Jean,
After talking with one of my managers at length I am sorry you left feeling the hotel had not met your expectations. There are a number of comments outlined in your review which I have of course investigated, some which I have noted for training purposes, although the statements gathered do seem to conflict with your review above. I do hope after speaking with the manager on site we have gone some way to restore some confidence with our property.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed in Sketchley Grange with my husband and two friends, I was very impressed with the size of the room - king size bed, sofa, coffee table, desk, several chairs and very large bathroom with separate very powerful shower. We had a drink in the bar before going out for food and it was a pleasant place to sit and chat. The beds were comfortable and there wasn't too much noise. The spa looked good and the changing rooms were well equipped however it was very busy on the bank holiday Sunday afternoon so we couldn't use the jacuzzi or have a proper swim in the pool. The breakfast was nice if not a little over priced for the quality and choice of food. The scrambled eggs were awful - far too wet with the consistency of porridge - mentioned it to the waitress who said they made it like that so it didn't change colour (poor excuse). Would return if in the area as long as we could stay in the same standard of room ( room 157).

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the review, we are glad you had a great stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Jurys Inn Hinckley Island
#3 of 12 in Loughborough
Hilton Leicester
Hilton Leicester
#11 of 41 in Leicester

Been to Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!