“Fantastic New Year's Eve party”

34 Windsor St Restaurant & Cocktail Bar
Ranked #14 of 104 Restaurants in Hinckley
Price range: US$13 - US$51
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A contemporary restaurant and cocktail bar nestled in the heart of the beautiful village of Burbage, a suburb of Hinckley and Bosworth, 34W is the destination to experience creative modern British food, carefully selected wines, cheeky cocktails and vintage afternoon tea. Enjoy the company of friends, family and loved ones in relaxed, warm and intimate surroundings. 34W caters for everyone especially at the weekend, the perfect venue for a romantic date night, special occasion dinner or relax with the Saturday papers over Chef's homemade breakfast pastries and legendary eggs benedict, treat yourself to lunch or prosecco afternoon tea or simply gather friends and family together for a delicious Sunday lunch. As a venue we can host the smallest to the largest of celebrations and can cater to a wide range of private events & meetings. We have a dedicated events team, state of the art audio and visual facilities and a brigade who will design a bespoke menu around your personal preferences and seasonal ingredients that will match the mood of any occasion.
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Fantastic New Year's Eve party”
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Went with friends to the restaurants organised event. The food was excellent - especially the beef which was cooked to perfection. The entertainment was very good with the music seeming to suit all tastes there. The staff were friendly and the service was good, especially when considering that the place was full for the whole evening. So why only 4 stars? I do not like the idea of 10 % being added to the bill automatically - especially when the price included the entertainment and similar to other diners' reports we had two minor spillages as the staff delivered drinks to the table. The fireworks were also a bit disappointing - due to the layout of the courtyard it felt like we were watching someone else's fireworks over the garden wall. These things did not detract from the overall enjoyment and we would certainly go again.

Visited December 2013

london
“Michelin star some way off.”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have read some of the reviews about this restaurant and where there is a response from the management, the main theme seems to be around the question: 'why didn't you complain at the time?' I believe that this is actually a fundamental question the management and owners should be asking themselves. My answer would be that it's just not friendly enough here and the place is too new to be able to bravely take on critique and move forward.
Feedback seems to fall into two main categories: diners who have eaten in fine-dining/ Michelin starred restaurants and diners who haven't but still expect decent quality food at a reasonable value.
Thankfully, this place bears no resemblance to a Harvester. That said, I believe it is also some way off from the accolades it appears to be centred on gaining.
Our third visit to 34 Windsor Street was over the xmas period. We had a wonderful time on our first visit, a mediocre experience on our second visit but decided to give them another go as we wanted to support a decent local restaurant. However, yet again, we left feeling disappointed. The staff although pleasant seem inexperienced and there is little evidence of professional influence from managers. Put simply, we weren't made to feel special. The front of house needs to seriously work on its welcome and knowledge.
The food looks amazing and hence the disappointment in its flavour has greater impact. Elements of the dishes we tried were interesting and occasionally tasty, however, the overall result was fairly bland. Flavours need a higher priority!
I am aware 34 Windsor Street is defined as a 'destination restaurant'. I am not expecting large portions or simple food. What I am expecting for this price range is somewhere the customer feels spoiled and where the food is interesting, delicious and entertaining. I receive these in the other fine dining establishments I visit. Hence, whilst I support the efforts that are being made and the ambition evident in this restaurant, I also wish to enjoy my own experience. If the elements are addressed I would happily return.

4 Thank AgnesHart
Lisa S, Public Relations Manager at 34 Windsor St Restaurant & Cocktail Bar, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Ms Hart

Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review for 34 Windsor St, as a valued customer, we really appreciate your constructive feedback and can assure you that all of your comments have been taken on board.

With regards to our front of house staff, they are constantly undergoing training both in customer service and menu knowledge. We understand the importance of making our guests feel special and we are truly sorry that on your last visit to 34 this was not the case . We have an experienced restaurant manager joining our team shortly, which we are sure will have a very positive impact on our guests overall dining experience and be a great influence on our front of house team.

Our new menu was launched mid January and has been received very well by all of our guests and Chef Sam Owen has worked extremely hard to create a very innovative and flavoursome new dishes.

We hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to demonstrate that your concerns have been addressed by visiting us again soon.

Many thanks & kindest regards

Lisa
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Great culinary skills, great ambience, great decor! but...”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Found this little place after a search on TA. Thought Id give it a go, as this area can be restrictive to Chinese/Indian/Chippery territory.

This place is a refreshing menu change and will not disappoint.

The staff were polite, friendly and professional with knowledge about what they are serving which is lovely.

I also asked for a favourite cocktail of mine which wasn't on the menu, and the bartender happily obliged. This was served very well.

Food presentation was also very good.

I also thought the portions were reasonable and disagree with other reviewers on here - this is a restaurant, not the 'Harvester'! (and no - sides shouldn't come included and the portions are spot on!)

I fear from now on that my review may come across as negative to readers, but it is not meant to be; rather feedback for this place to improve as I love to support independent restauranteurs! (I am also fortunate enough; as Im in the food and drink industry to have eaten in many places of varying quality all over the world). Also I think I have a touch of the OCD when it comes to dining :-).

The critique

Spelling mistake - drinks menu....look at Lager - looks like spellcheck has caught you out!

Starter menu - too many fish based starters, would liked to have seen a good terrine, soup or salad.
Also, think about changing the treacle based squash starter to a plate; the food doesn't sit high enough in it and makes it awkward to eat without the constant clattering of cutlery on the sides of the dish.(Rather embarrassing in a quiet dining room!)

Main menu - too many prime cuts of meat, I like to see the cheaper cuts cooked well....this will also be better for your business too.

Menu Overall - Too many food trendy words used; textures of this and that. Also too many trendy gadgets and gizmo's used

My wife had Duck Breast which we were advised would be cooked pink as it was cooked in a water bath. Water bath (or cooking sous vide as it is know in the trade) doesn't really need to be used for this cut of meat. Keep it for gelatinous/fatty coots or for delicate textures; this could have been delivered much better with the skin rendered and pan-fry/oven through. Thus making a crispy skin rather than a sloppy, slippy skin from the sous vide.

Also, whilst I didn't order, whilst having coffee Im sure I saw some aroma cloche being used - C'mon guys, I like your place really I do...but it's not The Fat Duck!

Overall, whilst the chefs are not scared to try something new which I admire...the menu would benefit with some good solid classic cooking/recipes.

Despite that would go again (hope to see some improvement) and would recommend anyone to try.

1 Thank SteveGrid2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous meal, knowledgeable staff and very friendly service!”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We recently dined at 34 Windsor St for my husbands birthday. On booking, I initially emailed to enquire whether it was a suitable establishment to bring an under 2 year old for dinner. From the offset they were extremely helpful, advising an earlier sitting due to the later evening getting busier with Christmas parties at this time of year.

On arrival we were greeted by a really friendly team and they made a huge fuss of my niece.

From the start, nothing was too much trouble for our waiter; Richard, he really is a huge credit to 34 Windsor St and at all times he was really friendly, accommodating, very knowledgeable about the menu and offered wonderful advice.

There were 6 of us dining and between us I think for starters we tried the chicken jacket potato, scallops, pigeon with chocolate and lavender and the salmon. Everyone thought that their starters were really lovely, and really the whole meal was quite a dining experience and one which I know that you'd struggle to find elsewhere locally.

All of our mains were delicious too. I have seen that others have commented on not being happy at having to pay for sides, in my opinion the mains course prices are more than reasonable for this type of restaurant, in fact we were extremely and pleasantly surprised with our overall bill. I think that it is completely acceptable to have to pay for sides in a restaurant of this standard and having dined in other such places I wouldn't have expected not to.
The portion sizes were ample too. Given how opulent our meals were, I personally would have struggled to eat more of any of the three courses that we had.

The desserts were a massive hit with our table! We sampled the cheese board (one of the best that I have ever seen), the chocolate fondant, christmas pudding textures, lemon custard and the chocolate, acorns and blackberries. They were all pretty amazing to say the least!

With dinner we had two great bottles of red, some cocktails and the water was replenished as soon as the jug was empty.

To roundup; the whole evening was fantastic, from arrival to departure. Special mentions for Richard, our fabulous waiter (hold on to him), fantastic food, with great flavours and most certainly not a case of style over substance at 34 Windsor St!! The atmosphere is really fantastic too, amazing dining but not pretentious at all.

They're doing a wonderful job there and bringing something new to the area that is not comparable to anything else locally, this is just great I think!
Would we revisit......? We are already planning our next visit for afternoon tea and can't wait!

Lutterworth, United Kingdom
“Very bad customer service”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I went to 34 Windsor Street for lunch on a Friday at 1.00pm it was fairly quiet with only 4 other tables which seemed to be occupied but on the run up to Christmas and it being a village pub that seemed quite acceptable.
The starter - Black pudding scotch eggs came out - very small portion with the smallest amount of pea sauce, literally a line on the bottom. No condiments on the table and it took forever to find a member of staff to fetch them, nice but lacking in taste and substance.
The main course was a joke - it was the smallest portions I have ever seen, the belly of pork was over salted and more fat than meat and the crackling on the top was horrible, the butternut squash was none existent.
My friends meal was inedible and again a very small portion, it was sent back virtually untouched.
Now starving I decided to go for Chocolate sponge (can't go wrong with a bit of stodge when you are hungry) my portion came out and I had to blink to see it, it was rubbery (as if it was made in the microwave) and the ice cream was icy!
The good bits - Tripple cooked chips were really good and the cheese and biscuits that my friend had were nice but only only type of cheese and again portion size was very small.
The table next to ours were complaining throughout and pulling faces which kept us amused.
I called as soon as I returned to the office to complain as I didn't want to kick up a fuss in the restaurant. I was virtually told I was lying and the food was OK but they would look into it and call me back.
2 weeks later and no call! so all I can say is if you can't be bothered to look after your clients then expect the sort of reviews we are going to give you on here.
It's a simple lesson really when you look at the reviews you are getting - portion sizes, we are not pigs but we are hungry ! Warm food - we are cold, it is not summer ! Ask people if they want condiments instead of depriving us of them from the start.
Put water on the table !
Not good value for money or fit for purpose !

4 Thank L8ly