“Monk fish on the rock a winner”
Review of Plume of Feathers

Plume of Feathers
Ranked #37 of 136 Restaurants in Harlow
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Monk fish on the rock a winner”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

If I am honest everything about this pub screamed ordinary! Service she started off like she did NOT want to be there but warmed to us near the end, average service and she recommended the specials by saying "the board is round the corner, salad I think!" The pub looked okay! The reason why I just couldn't not give this meal a 4/5 was the food! I had monk on the rock (great idea) superb presentation and just a all round 5 star meal! I also tried the lamb which was lovely too! Lovely food! Strawberry cheesecake wasn't bad either!
Thanks to the Chef 4 out of 5!!! Defo choose something on the rock!

1 Thank James P

Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
“Very ordinary”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The food was ok and that is the best I can say. It wasn't busy the night we went and yet the service was nothing special.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank JCR92
hertfordshire, england
“Very pleasant”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I went here for dinner having driven past many times. I was with my dad, looking for somewhere quick to eat as we didn't have very long, he was keen to go as he used to drink there 30+ years ago. We told the staff we were in a hurry as we were vising a relative at the hospital and she advised what to avoid on the menu due to length of cooking time. I had risotto which was pleasant enough, but not amazing and my dad had steak and ale pie which came with a mountain of mash and veg. It was served quickly and I'm assured by my dad that it was the best steak and ale pie he's ever eaten! Not eating meat I can't comment, but he's a pretty good authority on pie and mash! Not a great deal of choice for vegetarians but it served a purpose. Just a shame we were in a rush or we would have stayed for a dessert and another drink.

• Visited March 2014
Fareham, UK
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Nearest pub to the family members we were visiting. As they had visited two or three times we thought we would try it for Sunday lunch albeit mid afternoon.

First impressions were along the lines of would we get a table as the car park was packed. Once inside the pub there were spare seats outside and as it was sunny and the seats were protected by a large brolly and a fence we need have worried. Sitting outside in mid March ?!!
The pub itself was what I would call a typical country pub. Nice fire and low ceilings. Bar not too big so if there is a crowd you have to be patient. Good selection of beers and lagers. There is part of the bar set aside for food orders and we settled for roast. Two wanted beef and two lamb. The lamb had run out (not literally) so we had three beef and a chicken. Although not the quickest service it wasn't so long that you were clock watching. Any thoughts about how long are we to be kept waiting we set aside by the fact that there were an awful lot of people placing food orders. The food itself was hot, three veg (cabbage, beans and swede) roast potatoes and meat. Surprisingly do not remember any boiled spuds ? Not an issue. Food was tasty and well cooked.
After the main course we settled on a pudding. One cheesecake, two spotted dicks and one treacle tart. Now here I may have an issue. Although you could not fault the pudding in itself i.e. tasty and hot I was disappointed that it had obviously come out of a packet. I was hoping for homemade. Also you had to have custard whether you liked it or not.

Also I know that the staff were rushed off there feet serving customers with their food, so perhaps they are in a no win situation, but one or two tables seemed to take an age before they were cleared and cleaned for the next customer. Just a small point.

Outside there is a small aviary to keep the children amused and in a grass area adjacent to the car park there were table/benches and I think I saw a small set of goal posts. A climbing frame may not go amiss to keep children amused ?

Having said all that I would gladly go back for a return visit.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Fred_Fareham_UK
Hertfordshire
“Pleasant enough but pretty poor food”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Things started well enough with a good selection of beers and lagers but the food was very disappointing being a long time then not very well cooked. Being crowded out for a very well attended wake didn't help either. We will probably not eat here again, but it is a nice, pleasant country pub to go for a drink with a massive car park and plenty of benches outside.

• Visited January 2014