“Really good hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Harlow
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Harlow
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Well placed near the M11 with great services. Bar is well stocked and the choice of beer is good. Breakfast is of a very good standard and plentiful. Car parking on site is crowded but there is a pay and display next door. Well positioned to walk into Harlow but all in all very good.

Room Tip: Just ask for a better room - I booked through Priority Club and always get a good room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeremy N
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We are glad to hear, you enjoyed your stay. Hope will see you staying with again soon!
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Me and my other half stayed here for 4 nights. When we arrived I was very lucky to had found a parking space in its extremely small car park. When we checked in the receptionist told me its first come first serve so if I leave and don't find a space I will have to park in the multi story car park next door and pay £3 a day. Because of this we decided not to move the car for 4 days! The hotel car park looks much more safer then the old battered multi story so I didn't want to park in there. I checked the hotel car park every night, and every night the car park was so full there were vans that parked in the middle and on the yellow lines. If ever there was an emergency in any if those 4 nights and I needed to leave, I wouldn't of been able to get out. They need to sort this out.
Our room was lovely. Nice and modern. I really liked the bathroom and the lighting system. Also I was very pleased with the free breakfast. Looks small but still plenty to eat.
The biggest let down which unfortunately ruined it for me and my partner were the beds. It was so uncomfortable. The pillows were also horrible and thin and note we had two each. In fact the bed and pillows look like they had it! We suffered 4 sleepless nights with back ache and neck aches. We were both very upset about this and just because of this we wouldn't come back again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fiz A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the condition of the bed you received. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience and discomfort you may have experienced. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and our apologies for the shortfalls.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Newly refurbished or built? Probably helps as generally I hate multi chain cheap thrill hotels, however I was surprised by this hotel. Clean and tidy. Staff pretty good and polite. Rooms were well presented. The LED lighting in the bathroom is a little dim, maybe they can invest in some higher powered LED's?
The big let down in this hotel is the ridiculous parking!
Upon entering there was nowhere to park, we had to call the hotel for the exit code, parked next door and paid a fiver to NCP to which the ticket runs out at 23:59 hours, we checked in at hotel only to be told they have a deal for £3 for 24hrs! Why couldn't he told us that on the phone when we called for the exit code! Apart from that, lives up to the minimum standard you'd expect.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Si A
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We are grateful for your positive feedback. With regards to the car park next door, please note we are currently working on the signage to make it more clear.

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night, booked 4 rooms and all were close together. Check in was fast and the staff friendly. Rooms modern and clean and the shower was lovely. Bed very comfortable. Location was great, close to retail park with shops and restaurants. The only reason I haven't given 5 out of 5 overall is because the sofa bed that my children slept on was very small and uncomfortable, the mattress was thin and lumpy and they had to sleep on top of the duvet. Fine for an overnight stay but no longer than that! Free breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: October 2013
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We are grateful for your feedback an will pass your comments about sofa beds to our head office.
Meanwhile, I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The HIE is an acceptable / adequate / functional chain hotel situated in central Harlow, which is enough for most people who are visiting this crushingly uninspiring town for shopping, business or friends etc. Don't come here for romance or culture unless you are pathologically dedicated to irony.
On arrival, we encountered the biggest problem the hotel has - its limited parking. There are about 17 places; there are 122 rooms. Guests who had arrived earlier had parked anywhere and everywhere, including the disabled bays. We had to get the gate code to escape and parked elsewhere. Apparently there is an arrangement with the car park behind, but we weren't told of this at the time we got the gate code.
Check-in was functional, although I got the impression that the receptionist had been on the receiving end of a hard day. The room was everything you would expect of HIE, clean, comfortable, functional bathroom. It was also quiet, so maybe sound proofing has been used. The view was Harlow job centre, which I really must recommend to the designer of the wi-fi logging on system which I gave up on. The bathroom was a bit on the dark side.
Breakfast was very busy, staff coped perfectly well. Usual HIE fare, so unremarkable.
It's good enough, unless you really need to park there.

Room Tip: Be very aware, you may not be able to park in the hotel car park.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stuart462

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. I am sorry to hear you experienced our parking issue. Please note we always do our best to make sure guests are aware of parking arrangements on all booking sites. I will make sure all sites have been reviewed. We are working on signage in multi-storey car park at the moment, to hopefully next time you will stay with us, you will notice the difference.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Harlow on Wednesday 9th October 2013. I checked in at approximately 12am and out again at 7:30am. During this time, I left a make up bag in the room containing important medication and contents exceeding £300.

On reaching my next hotel and realising my bag was missing, I contacted the hotel to log my lost property. The lady on front desk said that nothing had been reported, but would check with the housekeeping manager and get back to me the following morning. I didn't receive a call back, so I rang again to be told the same, the housekeeping manager hadn't had anything handed in but would check with the housekeeping staff and once again, get back to me.

On not receiving a call back for a second time, I phoned the hotel again and spoke to a particularly rude member of staff who told me that she didn't know what I was talking about and could do nothing to help. This obviously meant that my lost property issue hadn't been logged or was being taken particularly seriously.

Short of accuse anyone of lying, or inform the police there was nothing I could do. I know for certain the bag was in that room, and was obviously too tempting for housekeeping staff to resist. I hope whoever is now the proud owner of my personal property is now enjoying it.

I really think that security procedures at the Holiday Inn Express Harlow should be addressed, as judging by the lack of lost property reporting system, it's clearly too easy for hotel staff to steal their guests belongings following checkout, if you are unfortunate enough to display the human error of leaving something in your room.

Whilst they might pride themselves on low cost, expect poor communication and an unscrupulous manner as well. I would have expected much more from a worldwide chain. I certainly won't be using Holiday Inn Express again, and will warn others not to do so based on my experience.

I have submitted a similar review via Holiday Inn as well, which is currently being 'processed'. I should imagine that this won't be published due to it's honest nature and potential damage to their reputation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Ms. Green,

Thank you for your feedback about Holiday Inn Express Harlow.
I am sorry to tell you, that we were not able to find it. We, as a team did our best to find it, however no luck.
I spoke with you on the 10th October in the evening, promising to call you back around 8am the following morning, which i was about to do, but you called first at 8:15 am, claiming no one called you back. I have explained to you earlier, that I have questioned all staff members about your lost make up bag, however no one was able to find it. Our housekeeping team has been working with us since the hotel opening and we have never has any issues in the past and we have had quite few really valuable items left in the hotel, but safely returned to their owners. All staff members are reliable and hard working employees.
I do understand how frustrating and upsetting this whole situation is for you and I have suggested to call police and start full investigation about it. I am more than happy to help you as long as this issue is sorted. I would never tolerate anything like it, especially since we are the newest hotel is the area and it does not help us at all. You had 3 rooms booked, so maybe it got mixed up with other belongings?
Please feel free to get in touch with me, should you wish to discuss this matter further.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed 1 night, which was too many. Too bad the hotel itself is actually quite attractive inside. Drove into parking lot only to find it was full since there would only be room for about 12 cars. Couldn't get out of lot, the gate had come down behind us. We could only get out with secret code. This kind of stuff can really bug you when you've been on road all day. We got to the room & wanted to wash up. Sink was plugged, we called desk & a young man came & plunged sink. Went to lobby for supper which was quite good but spent most of time watching old men coming into hotel with attractive much younger women, I don't think they were related. In morning my husband had shower which caused sink & shower in bathroom to back up. Water in shower was right up to the door. I could have waited & got someone up to fix the shower but didn't know if it would happen again & really didn't have time to fool around. No shower for me. This room was only 50 pounds but I still want things to work.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Our hotel provide limited car park and we do have an agreement with multi-storey car park next door. Please note, barrier stops people who are not staying in our hotel parking their cars in our car park. I am also sorry to find out, that your shower was blocked. We would have got it fixed it for you. We are always grateful for your feedback and should you wish to discuss your recent stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly by email gm@express-harlow.com or phone 01279 624 380.
Viktorija Stanciukaite

Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlow
Travelodge Harlow Hotel
#1 of 1 in High Wych
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath

Been to Holiday Inn Express Harlow? Share your experiences!