“Good experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Harlow
Congleton, United Kingdom
“Good experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel. Clean and spacious room, with a very large bed! Breakfast was freshly cooked and extremely good, as was the service. Pleasantly surprised by the high standard. Did not eat here in the evening so can't comment on the food apart from breakfast. Excellent value for money compared to quotes from other hotels in the area. Would stay again if in the vicinity.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Have stayed here a few times before when visiting family in the area, and we always compare its current price when looking to stay in the area again. We usually get this hotel at a price which is very good value for money considering the standard of the rooms which is high. They are modern, clean, spacious, well-maintained with large, comfortable beds. Reception staff are usually helpful and pleasant and I would always consider this hotel when looking to stay in this area again and would recommend it to anyone requiring accommodation in this area. We usually get the room for around £40/night room only which is very competitive for the area. Have only once or twice found somewhere better value to stay when we haven't been able to get this hotel at the price we usually look for.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed her for long time while waiting for sale of house to go through. Rooms great value for money. Food ok but takes too long to get to you. Went back recently the food has improved, but still more needed as not really that good value for money

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Amanda G
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Stayed here for a week on business. The hotel is set behind a lovely chef and brewer pub. Don't let this put you off, I have stayed in other Harlow hotels and this is best by far.

Check in and out were easy. All staff were friendly and helpful.

Lots of free car parking and by car it is very near a retail park.

Free wifi with O2 in the rooms but limited reception in the pub. Registration was simple and the speed was great.

Room basic, clean and well kept. Bed mattress was as thin as a crisp but did not effect my nights sleep. The tv was very small with free view. Bathroom has soap dispensers fitted on the wall. No fan in the room during the hot weather and it was boiling as the windows partially opened. No iron in the room either. To be fair none were asked for and I'm sure they would have been provided.

Food menu, choice and service were faultless at the pub even though it took a while from ordering to dining. The pub was always busy and this can only be a positive.

All in all a great little find and will definitely return.

Thanks

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Check in smooth & efficient. Rooms pleasant, lovely super king size bed with a good firm mattress. Bedrooms very warm, the windows cannot be opened fully and it was uncomfortably hot through the night. We were on the 2nd floor. Bathroom small but perfectly adequate. Chose to eat in bar area at tea time, 9 orders taken and took forever for food to be brought to us, but when it arrived it was worth the wait, even the sandwiches looked very good. Breakfast the next morning was a little chaotic ! There was only 1 young girl running about with hot food. We had to tell her that milk, coffee and fresh fruit were empty and had to wait while she re-stocked. She was lovely and this is no criticism of her, just the fact that she was solo. The bar seemed to be very short of staff also and we often had to wait for a member of staff to materialize behind the bar to serve us. Having returned from our family party quite a few of us wanted a drink at the bar, but we were informed by reception that even as guests we could not be served. This was at about midnight, not the early hours of the morning, so we didn't think we were being too excessive ! On the whole, it was a very pleasant stay and I would return when visiting family again.

Room Tip: I guess a room on the ground floor may be cooler ?
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Unfortunately We tried to book online last night 23/06/13 3 websites said greenman fully booked ! So we booked in another hotel, we came to greenman for dinner and was told the hotel was not in fact full at all and had plenty of rooms available !
Very sad as we very much enjoy staying at this pleasant hotel.
Please for the future could you keep online bookings and room availability up to date so we are not mislead by this
Such a shame

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Harlow hotels

West Sussex, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

Because of my job I have to go to Harlow far more often than I would ordinarily choose. I am one of those solitary civil servants that Mynameismynameis refers to in their review below (which you should also read as it is a comprehensive and sensible piece written by an author comfortable with the notions of spelling and grammar...). Previously I have stayed at the Manor of Groves – as I will be again next month – and was feeling far from intrepid when told that due to the Manor being full for this visit, I would be spending nearly a week at the Green Man. Colleagues assured that I would be fine and, as it turned out, they were correct...

As you may have gathered elsewhere, the Green Man is a public house belonging to the Chef and Brewer chain. Generally I’m not a great fan of pub chains, particularly when it comes to meal times; I am uneasy with the notion of choosing a meal from a menu that is also being presented to another diner a couple of hundred miles away – It smacks of the ethos of that other chain of “restaurants” (represented by a big yellow “m”) which makes me suspicious of how much creativity Chef is allowed to get away with. However this visit was a fait accompli so I pitched up at reception on the Monday evening and hoped for the best.

My initial greeting was from a cheerful local lady: lovely big Adele-style hair and an even bigger smile, which was an excellent start. The knowledge that I was here for the whole week and not just the one night that she had on the booking didn’t throw her off her stride and I was quickly dispatched to my quarters with the feeling that I was the most handsome, interesting man she had welcomed to the hotel in a long time. Given that I am an overweight forty-something with limited fashion sense and all the élan of a grumpy silverback gorilla, I thought that this was a triumph of her customer service over my common sense.

I was a little disheartened as I approached the accommodation block – let’s face it; the words “block” and “accommodation” should only really appear next to one another in a movie about prisoners of war. A foyer still cluttered with the debris from refreshments breaks for the conference rooms in the block didn’t improve my humour. I made my way down the narrow, dimly-lit corridor and noted that the attempts to turn the sow’s ear into the silk purse by lining the walls with contemporary hotel prints before arriving at my room. I hefted the metal keys on the simply huge wooden fob out of my rapidly disintegrating trouser pocket and entered my home-from-home...

...And was pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious and tastefully decorated – a muted palette of colours with splashes of a deep burgundy accent and prints of locally taken photographs from yesteryear gave the place an understated welcoming feel. The bathroom was small but perfectly clean; a bit of an overhaul in the next year or two would be welcome, but there was everything that I needed – even a bath. Some decent complimentary toiletries would have absolutely made my day, but since I had some shampoo and shower gel, which I had confiscated from better hotels, in my wash bag this didn’t ruin things for me. Plenty of storage space and a generous supply of hangers was probably a bit of a waste for my limited wardrobe, but will be useful for the clothes horses amongst you. This concern for my sartorial affairs even stretched to the provision of an iron and board. So far, so good.

In-room entertainment was exactly what one has come to expect in places accommodating commercial travellers these days. There is free Wi-Fi and a small flat screen telly with the standard supply of free digital channels, so if you like Dave, ITV3 and the various offshoots of Channel 5 you will be quite content. It is a sign of the age that we live in that there wasn’t a telephone in the room. Unfortunately I was in an O2 black-spot, meaning my personal phone became nothing more than an expensive paperweight, and my officially-provided phone had a signal that was patchy at best. On several occasions I was forced to wander into the street to bellow into my handset as I tried to maintain contact with family and colleagues.

So I settled in and started thinking about my dinner. I noticed that the menu from the restaurant had been helpfully left next to my bed and decided that this would be an ideal opportunity to peruse the bill of fare. I could tell from the A3 card format that it would be wildly predictable and I took no pleasure in being right. The usual suspects for a pub menu line-up were all there: steaks, designer burgers, a mixed grill, fish and chips, scampi, lasagne, a pie and a couple of variations on grilled chicken. It was all very competitively priced, but I wasn’t sure I fancied chips, so I put my coat on and went for a walk.

One of the areas where the Green Man nudges ahead of the Manor of Groves is its proximity to shops and restaurants – I was without a car during this trip and there is nothing that drives me wire-happy quicker than being confined to the hotel, which is what I pretty much was the last time I was at the Manor. As it happens the Green Man is just a short stroll from a pedestrian precinct with restaurants and takeaways, along with a very nice off-licence and a half-decent Co-op.

It was outside one of these restaurants, the Raj Lodge, which I found myself a few minutes after leaving my room. I peered in and noticed that even on a Monday evening there were a couple of tables occupied, indicating a certain amount of competence in the kitchen. I love Asian food of all varieties so it seemed like a no-brainer to me and I ventured in. I liked it so much that I entered a Groundhog Day-like state and ended up back there for the next two nights as well...
But this review isn’t about the Raj Lodge, so I should perhaps drag myself back to talking about the Green Man. Having had a splendid meal at the curry house that first night I presented myself for breakfast the next morning, interested to see what epicurean delights awaited me. I use the word “interested” cautiously as I have been let down many times by hotel breakfasts – I have devoted hundreds of words to this subject on Tripadvisor, bemoaning and praising in equal measure the ability or otherwise of hostelries of all types and standards to deliver a decent start to the day.

My initial impression was that the dining room wasn’t busy – two or three tables may have been occupied when I walked in. I waited patiently to be seated, as per the sign by the door. Then I waited a bit more. Then I continued to wait. In fact it was probably only a short while (it seemed longer as I was conscious that I did have to go to work) before the waitress/seating hostess/busboy (busgirl?) appeared from the kitchen bearing plates of bacon, eggs and all the rest, greeting me cheerily and apologising for keeping me waiting before telling me to sit anywhere I liked. I’m a sucker for a friendly smile first thing in the morning so I instantly forgave her for not being there to greet me whilst she was doing everything else single-handed, and made a mental note to ignore the Wait-to-be-Seated sign by the door in future...

I was offered the full English breakfasting solution (as somebody in marketing has probably considered re-branding it) and, having seen the frankly poor Continental option – cellophane-wrapped croissants and muffins, a modest selection of yoghurts and cereals, bread for toasting and fruit juices – I readily accepted. I was happy to see that the full English was cooked to order but mildly disappointed to see that it consisted of budget ingredients. As the aforementioned Mynameismynameis stated, this would have been an ideal opportunity to champion some really good local sausages; maybe even some farm-sourced eggs and traditionally cured bacon could have been on my plate. It was all hot and proficiently cooked, but I thought it could quite easily have been so much better if the profit margin wasn’t the overriding consideration.

On my final evening I chose to have a couple of beers with a colleague in the pub whilst having a crack at the menu, served as a bar-food option as well as in the restaurant. For a bitter and ale drinker like me, the selection of beers on tap was a bit of a plus and I noted that draft Aspall cider raised the bar a little for apple lovers.

The beer was so agreeable that we very nearly forgot to have dinner, but we did remember to order before silliness took over completely. My companion went for a gourmet burger, which did look very tasty and was reported to me to be very good indeed. None of the main courses were extravagantly priced, and since I was here on expenses (albeit not unlimited) I opted for the sirloin steak, cooked rare. It was a very good piece of meat, properly matured and full of flavour. If we venture into the realms of looking for perfection – as we should perhaps do more often - I would have preferred it griddled or even pan-fried, rather than grilled, to give it that direct-heat crust of extra taste. Chef was a little cautious with the seasoning as well, which I understood as a sign of respect for the beef, but I’m firmly of the opinion that steak can take big flavours. As I said many paragraphs ago, the problem with chains is the homogeneity which stifles individual flair.

So, let’s summarise: As a hotel, the Green Man is clean, functional, reasonably well located and comes with a half-reasonable pub attached. It has friendly and helpful staff. It might lack more advanced amenities such as a gym or spa, but you will be adequately fed and it won’t break the bank. I would quite happily stay here again, my eyes fully open to the benefits and limitations of the hotel.

Thank you for your attention. That is all. Carry on.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms can lack privacy.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Cheapbutdemanding
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at Green Man Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear Cheapbutdemanding,

Thank you for providing such a detailed review of your experience, we will be sharing you feedback with our management team at the Green Man and hope that if youchoose to return in the future you will notice some of those small areas you have highlighted to have been improved.

Regards
Good Night Inns
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlow
Premier Inn Harlow Hotel
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,583 reviews
Little Hallingbury Mill
Little Hallingbury Mill
#1 of 1 in Little Hallingbury

Been to Green Man Hotel? Share your experiences!