Green Man Hotel
US$81
Orbitz.com
US$81
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Harlow Hotel(Harlow)(Great Value!)
US$53
Travelodge
US$52
  • Free Internet
TripAdvisor
The Fox Inn(Matching Tye)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe pubmodern blockseparate blockolde worldfish and chipsmain buildingcooked breakfastfull englishstayed here for nightsnight's sleepplenty of parkingexcellent value for moneycomfortable roomsaturday nightstansted airportgood nights sleepharlow town
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at the Green Man whilst attending a family party in the area. We were given the key and given directions to our room, which was a really good size on the ground floor. It had a flat screen tv and tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was ok, but there was an overbath shower which was a little difficult to get in and out of safely due to tiled floor and no bathmat. The hot water tap had a warning above it, and good job the water was absolutely scalding hot and the towel rail was equally dangerous - as I found out when I slipped getting out of the bath and grabbed it !! For the price including breakfast it was good value, but the rooms are a bit tired and it looks like it needs a good freshen up. I was also dubious about the local area, the room looked onto a residential area, with no fencing and due to the hot weather we wanted the window open, however there was nothing to prevent the windows from being opened wider from the outside and we felt a little vulnerable in this respect, being on the ground floor.

Breakfast was good, although we arrived only 30 minutes before it ended, and the coffee jug was empty but replenished by a rather stressed and irritable European woman, who grumbled quite a lot. I enjoyed my English breakfast though and there were cereals available, was well as yoghurts and preserves/toast.

All in all, a reasonable price for the room and a good breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

For a relatively cheap hotel - I think this place is excellent. I have stayed here on two occasions, the first time I was weary because of all the bad reviews but my partner and I had two very lovely experiences with The Green Man. The food was delicious (slow cooked lamb shoulder, wow!) and the rooms were great especially considering the price - nothing extraordinary but perfectly good. The staff were nothing but friendly and accommodating.

I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: From what I hear, only certain rooms have been renovated in the past few years. We had a renovated room both times and it was great, but if you aren't so lucky I'd suggest you ask the front desk to change you into one of their newer rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The food was very average, staff were helpful but run off there feet, if the manager spent more time keeping an eye on things and helping out (we watched him spent most of his time trying to impress the ladies!) it could be a very nice place.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Rootse
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I were planning in staying here but we ended up looking for somewhere else and cancelling the room. All looked fine on approach to hotel, however after parking, we noticed the clothes hanging out of the windows, which was where people were obviously living permanently in the rooms. We checked in and were given our key which was on the first floor. As we walked along the corridor we could smell a very strong smell of cannabis which became stronger and stronger as you walked along, so much for the zero tolerance to smoking which was postered all over the hotel. People were hanging about in the corridors drinking cans of beer so the atmosphere wasn't great. It felt like we were staying in a refugee camp. We went to bar and brought a drink but both felt uncomfortable about staying there. We went back to room and collected our things and went to reception, and informed them of our experience and told them we wished to leave. Unfortunately they didn't seem surprised at all, and just apologised.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel!
Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clair C
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was working in the London area for 2 days and this hotel was located within easy reach of my jobs. The pub is set in a quiet rural village and dates back to 1444 and still retains the olde world charm. The rooms are comfortable, spacious, well laid out and in a separate building to the pub Staying midweek the only noise problem was from doors being allowed to slam shut instead of being closed..I found the staff pleasant and helpful and booking in was quick and easy. The food was keenly priced and was of a good quality with a good range to choose from. Breakfast was either full English or Continental, there was a lunch time menu served till 4.00 pm as well as the main menu. One thing to note is that you do need to get a bath mat from reception so i would do this before you get undressed. Price wise this hotel is better than the major chains which advertise low rates till you attempt to book one. Will use this hotel again when i am next in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business