“Terrible service of a newly re-furbished Restaurant”
Review of The Moorhen

The Moorhen
Ranked #40 of 153 Restaurants in Harlow
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On arrival i went to find a table in which i got shouted at across the restaurant by the manager that we need to wait to be seated, the sign is not clear! Once seated i had to move straight away as i was in the way of another table being served, so the layout is rubbish. The whole restaurant was empty but they placed everyone in one corner of the restaurant so we had no privacy and we could hear each others conversations.

When ordering the food i asked about the side dish of corn on the cob if it comes with 2 pcs or 1, she advised 2 so we ordered this so we could share, when it arrived we only had 1 and the manager was very abrupt and rude and only advised we could get a refund not " would you like another one"!!

When the main meals arrived there was hardly anything on the plate, and it was not hot, it did not fill me up. My partner ordered steak and ribs and it came out with 2 mushrooms absolutely appalling.

The couple next to us were there before us and we had finished our main meals before their starter had come out! the manager made out the system crashed, what a lame excuse!

After Dinner we took our son outside to play in the park area, where we found it to be really run down and falling apart.

I will not be going back there ever again, another customer lost!

2  Thank Melanie P
Moorhen H, Manager at The Moorhen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Melanie,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

CRAP!!!!!!
Closed for a refurb that really wasn’t worth it, can hardly notice what’s been done. I went in today to meet my husband after being out and had our small dog with me (on a lead), I checked all the notices at the door saying no smoking and to be respectful to neighbours etc but nothing about dogs. I went to order a drink and the barman said I would have to leave as they didn’t allow dogs, I asked where it said that and he said it didn’t!!! I then asked if I sat outside could someone serve me and he said no but if I tied my dog up and left him outside then I could come in and be served! I have a Pug and they are commonly stolen so I don’t leave him tied up. I left and bumped into 2 ladies with a dog who said they had heard me and had had the same response from the barman. That’s a few customers lost today.

I have no issue not being allowed in with a dog but with all the notices about stairs and disabled access and smoking etc one saying no dogs would have saved a lot of bad feeling.

1  Thank fionadT8274WF

Hi,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited on 29th May after refurbishment and rebranding from Hungry Horse, was delighted with the service and food. Went back yesterday (24/06/19) and what a difference! Waited to be seated, waited longer for an order to be taken, only taken when we requested someone to take our order. Drinks arrived with one incorrect. When the food arrived it was a disaster, the substitutions requested of salad instead of chips etc had not been implimented, sauces that were meant to be with meals were missing and the overcooked Seafood Mixed Grill was thrown on the plate with yellow broccolli and yellow cabbage, both inedible, the half chicken was the palest and skinniest I have ever seen We did eventually get some salad and chips removed and was given the condiments basket for the sauces!
There was only three of us it was booked for 3.15pm and the restaurant was not too busy.

1  Thank Roy T

Hi Roy
, Thank you for your feed back. We are really sorry you have had a bad experience with us here at the minute. We are currently working on the issues raised to ensure it doesn’t happen again in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

since there refit it is not the same place anymore and not in a good way , long waits for food, food average ,waitress was un helpful , service now second rate only good thing now is its location

Hi Tim ,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a lovely family meal on Saturday, first visit and we were impressed by the food, decor and attentive staff, the only let down was when the kids went outside to play, tables were not cleared of dirty plates and there was a lot of litter on the grass, there was also as couple of missing fence panels meaning little ones could escape, I am sure that as it has only just been refurbished, and there was lots of new staff that this will be resolved. We will visit again.

Hi,
Thank you for your positive review.
We as a team are very glad you had a enjoyable experience with us at The Moorhen.
We hope to see you again very soon