“best break ever” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 16 Hayling Island B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“best break ever”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

cant wait to come back to mill rythe lovely staff entertainment and food.kids did not want to leave i hope it stays as it is.wonderful.

Room Tip: standard plus
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

Me and my family of 4 have just returned from our holiday, whilst there we was greeted on arrival by two boys from the entertainments team who were happy to help with bags and played with the children outside. After check in we got to our rooms which weren't as good as expected but very clean and tidy, just small. The resturant team were more than happy to help with roxanna rushed off her feet but still smiling, after food bingo was a nightmare due to children coming back half way through a game from kids club very loudly, the evening then got worst as the resident band were bland and the singer wasn't loud enough, the entertainment team themselves were brilliant, the manager was constantly on his mobile and rushing in and out of the room but the two people who made our holiday were Laura and Rhys who were phenomenal, alway friendly, generally interested in conversations, although the shows where good, these two were clearly miles above the rest (Laura singing and Rhys dancing) clear assets to the company and we will be returning due to them to being there this year! Overall everything was ok but I cannot praise them enough for a performance on our last evening by a truly emotional dance and song, unbelievable talent! WASTED!!

• Stayed September 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WCBAR, Guest Relations Manager at Mill Rythe Holiday Village, responded to this review, 9 October 2011
I am sorry that the resident band was not to your liking but I was truly pleased with the overall score of 5 out of 5 that you have given us. As always, I will pass your comments on to the teams on park and am sure that the Entertainment’s Manager will be very interested to hear your comments.
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

We booked our trip for a Friday to Monday weekend for a friends 60th birthday get together back in January. To be honest we were a bit apprehensive as we said 2 years ago we would never come back, as it had deteriorated so badly as many reviews here would confirm. However things started to get better when we found Joe Pasquale was booked as the entertainment for our weekend. Even better when we arrived to find our rooms were very modern with a flat screen TV on the wall, a well-stocked tea and coffee tray AND hot chocolate (they do take notice of the comments made) and very comfortable beds.
The food was also very good, always served hot to your table and a good choice of buffet. A welcome addition was the free 11.30pm buffet, a brilliant touch.
The entertainment team were great, the resident band has a brilliant singer, and the madness tribute band was also very good, all in all a very entertaining weekend.
We all make good use of the tennis, volleyball, bowls, and swimming pools.
Up until 2 years ago we had been coming to Mill Rythe as a family for over 30 years and on talking to other people here it seems many people have also been coming back for many years. We are now on their mailing list for other great weekends as we think it will just keep getting better… well done to the new owners for giving us back the camp we used to love…

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank UncleKrusty
I was extremely pleased to read your review especially given the amount of capital investment, time and thought that has gone into restoring this park back to its former glory. You are right in that we do take note of what our guests want and if it’s something that we are able to provide then we will. Thank you for noticing!
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

I regularly holidayed at Mill Rythe with my parents during my childhood but haven't been back for 10 or so years. Reading some of the reviews I was slightly hesitant to book a short break with my family, but I am glad I did. We upgraded to a Standard Plus room, which was very clean and functional, and the new beds were very comfy!

I could not fault the restaurant, which really did have something for everyone - the kids loved the Ice-Cream counter and felt very grown-up going up and getting it on their own! Our waitress, Angelika, was very polite, courteous and professional and nothing was too much trouble.

The pools were very clean (although we didn't manage to get in the outside pool as it was a little too chilly!) - however the changing facilities, in particular the toilets, could do with an upgrade. One small point regarding the indoor pool is that there were a lot of ball games being played by older children and this was quite upsetting for my 2 younger children (3 and 5) who were trying to swim but were getting splashed and hit by flying balls! Perhaps OK for the bigger outside pool but not for the inside.

It would be great if there was a play area specifically for toddlers (it mentions one on the park map but I don't think it was there??). However both my children thoroughly enjoyed the large indoor play area that was kept spotlessly clean.

The only major downside to our holiday was our, how shall I put it?, less than 'desirable' neighbours who decided to have a domestic at 3am and then leave their TV on very loudly all night! Of course no fault of the holiday company, although our chalet was very close to Hudsons Bar (we stayed in Alton) and the noise from loud music (til about 2am) and people walking back to their accommodation was so disturbing that I only got a couple of hours sleep most nights. I would definitely request a room further away next time. All in all, a great stay and we look forward to going back again to see what further improvements have been made!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Katie H
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

My mum, my boyfriend and I have just got back from yet another beautiful weekend down at Mill Rythe. My mum and I have been going there for many many years now (since i was 3 years old - am now 26) and we have been through all the changes of hands that have taken place. Since it has been under the new team (well there are some managers that were there when I was young and have come back) it has gone from strength to strength. It is definitly well and truley worth the money and we have recommended it to many of our friends who also come back with lots of wonderful memeories and have then recommended it to their family/friends. We have made friends with many of the staff and regulars who are there and its nice to see how well everyone is doing - Katy & Claire always so welcoming on reservations/reception, Lorna who always makes us feel at home. Winnie been there from when i was little such a lovely lady who always helps when we have a large group of us for restaurant seating arrangements, the lovely Andy, Dan & James behind the bar always on hand to knock up my pina colada cocktail :) and very polite towards customers - the waitress/waiters and cafe staff always have a smile on their faces and helpful. My boyfriend and I stayed in the standard room which is just right if you are there for a few nights but if you want to treat yourself - the standard plus is good to pay a bit extra to get the extra perks... but we were fine in the Standard accomodation. The arcade is full of different machines & activities (dance machine, fruitys, shooting games, driving games, table tennis, darts, pool tables, air hockey). The kids club done really well and was always busy in the evenings especially their party dances in the caberet ball room which is always quite a laugh to do a bit of superman and agadoo in your ballroom chair ... the caberets were very good - we have seen many different caberets down there - from Alexander O'neil to Jerry and the pacemakers. Gameshow time is always a laugh - glad they brough that back to the Sunday night and had a band free night on Sunday with just disco and gameshow and then comedian which was great. There is so much to say about how much we always enjoy the weekends when we visit but can't fit it all in. All i can say is it is well worth the money! Enjoy :)

1 Thank Chelseagirlie
Wow, 23 years of visiting the park and still coming back for more – we must be doing something right! Thanks for the 5 stars you have given us and also for the really great comments you have made which will be passed on. It is so very important for us to let our teams on park know what our guests think about the time and effort they put into their individual jobs and this always gives them such a boost so thanks again for taking the time and trouble to leave your review
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

Just got back from a lovely week at the little village with a big heart.

Love all the new improvements that are going on, the staff are doing a great job turning the village into a fab place to holiday.
All the hard work is paying off. The chalets are all getting a refit and when they are all finished they will be a credit to Away resorts.
The new activities are great for the kids. they all had a lovely time trying out the water walkerz etc that are now available. There are still the old favourites too, like abseiling.
The hubbies in my company had a leisurely time fishing in the lake and caught some nice size fish. Us ladies had a few trips to the health and beauty salon which was lovely and relaxing.
The Ents team put on some great shows in the evening and are doing a fab job under the watchful eye of Matty the Entertainments Manager.
The restaurant is run by the very experienced Winnie and her staff who do a great job, the food was lovely and there was something for everyones palate. Full marks to the chief and his team.
I could go on and on but won't. There is only one more thing to say and that is WELL DONE to you all. The Village is getting back to its former Glory. Keep up the good work.

1 Thank regular123
And another glowing review! As before, thank you so much for bothering to leave feedback as it is important for first time and would be guests to get to hear how the park really is and no one can do that better than someone who has holidayed here before & can really evaluate the improvements that we have made.
Llanelli, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Booked a four night stay at Mill Rythe from 22nd to 26th August 2011. We did stay at this site when it was Haven Holidays and having read some of the mixed reviews, we were a little apprehensive regarding the accommodation as we booked quite late and could only get standard accommodation.

We had two units and these were interconnecting (Filey 4 & 7) which were just two blocks away from the restaurant (luckily for us as we then didn't have too far to run in the pouring rain most days of the stay). We were very satisfied with the quality of the chalets. Yes they were fairly basic, but they were clean. For the amount of time we spent in them, no complaints. Like other reviewers have stated on here previously, you do need a doctorate in thermo nuclear physics to get any sort of correct temperature control from the showers though.

We were on Half Board and after an initial problem of where exactly our table was in the restaurant (we were told our table number was White! but everyone else actually had a number. This was sorted reasonably quickly by James and we were thankfully on the raised platform overlooking the main dining room floor. Our waitress was Angelika who was quite simply superb. Very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Believe me, the attitude of a couple of the guests sitting on tables nearby was enough to try the patience of the best, but Angelika would still keep smiling and sort out what they wanted.

Food quality and choice really could not be faulted. The portion sizes from the restaurant were just right. The only thing as a family that we did not enjoy was the scrambled egg on the breakfast buffet as it was just far too wet and the milk had separated from the egg. Much better to order from the kitchen via you waiter/waitress! Overall, there really is something for everyone at all meals and represents fantastic value for money.

As we used the place as a base to get out and about, we cannot comment on daytime activities as we never used them. Evening entertainment was very good with the whole team working well together and seeming to be enjoying themselves which is always a good thing. I thought that Jetset were fantastic when they were on stage (but I do have a major gripe about them off stage which I did mention in my questionnaire and will cover later here in the review)

We were three adults in the party but did see the children's entertainment in the evening. Not bad, but certainly not up to the Rory The Tiger shows of Haven days! But the kids seemed to enjoy so that is all that is important.

As I said before, the resident band Jetset were really good and covered all types of music. The entertainments team worked really hard and put on a really great ABBA story show on the first night and a Rock night on the Thursday night. Both really enjoyable shows. Visiting artistes during our stay were a comedy/magic show with Dave Allen on the Tuesday night. Simply superb! Funny and entertaining all ages. Wednesday night at Hudsons was an 'Adult Comedy Show' with Tucker, again really enjoyed the all too short show [just 30 minute performance]. Finally on the Thursday night there was a Motown night with CJ, also a fantastic night!

My concerns for this park and ultimately guests enjoyment are these. There is a serious lack of supervision of some of the teens on the park. On the Tuesday evening I went outside for some fresh air and saw that the lights were on in Hudson's Bar so wandered over to see what was going on in there. There were no staff on duty at all, and yet the doors were open and there were a group of about 5-6 teens running around chasing each other and actually throwing wooden chairs around the bar area. Outside of Hudson's I heard some one shouting 'Go on smash it in' and many laughing teens. I think a security person should be employed to keep an eye on these areas of the park, after all this was happening around 2145-2215.

My final moan is too do with Jetset, the resident band. I feel that the head of entertainment needs to have a word with the whole band over their professionalism towards visiting artistes. When Dave Allen was performing in the main club room, Jetset were all standing by the bar and were clearly having a great time talking loudly amongst themselves and could be clearly heard by all paying guests who just wanted to enjoy the comedy/magic show. They did the exact same thing when Tucker was performing in Hudson's bar. Why did they have to be in there if they were intent on talking and annoying paying guests. They should be told to either go somewhere else and talk or just shut up and let everyone enjoy the performance. They must know how annoying it is to get poor order from an audience, so should show professional conduct themselves!!

So wrapping up my review. I would say go to Mill Rythe and enjoy. We did and we will be going back again next year. Would we look at upgraded accommodation? Maybe! We were perfectly satisfied with standard, but if you intend staying on site during the day and maybe going back to the chalet quite a bit, then yes consider upgrading, because form what we could see, they are nice chalets.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Happy H
Another great review but also with some suggestions which I will certainly pass on to the relevant departments. We couldn’t be luckier than we are with the teams on our parks and it is very gratifying to hear phrases used like ‘nothing was too much trouble’ and our other particular favourite ‘Fantastic value for money’. We are in the business of creating happy holiday memories for our guests and it was great to hear that yet again we seem to have succeeded in our aim!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayling Island
Langstone Hotel
#3 of 4 in Hayling Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,556 reviews
BEST WESTERN Royal Beach Hotel
Premier Inn Portsmouth Havant South (Langstone/A27)
Premier Inn Portsmouth (Havant) Hotel
Farmhouse & Innlodge
Farmhouse & Innlodge
#33 of 38 in Portsmouth

Been to Mill Rythe Holiday Village? Share your experiences!