“Stay in the new/refurbished area”
Review of Langstone Hotel

Langstone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hayling Island
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We read the reviews and were surprised at the differences. When we arrived we were totld we had booked the "luxury" wing. The room was lovely, very spacious family room, new or refurbished it was very good. It had a lovely walk in shower but a porrly designed screen that allowed water to flood the toilet area.
Dinner in The Brasserie was very good, excellent food, good service.
Sunday breakfast was very busy. The staff tried very hard but there are simple things that would make it easier. Move the toaster away from the buffet area so that people waiting for toast don't hold up the queue. Put out pre-packed butter rather than having staff running about fetching individual dishes. Put some fresh fruit out. Get some bigger coffee pots that hold more than two small cups.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
hotelcareteam, General Manager at Langstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review of the Langstone Hotel following your recent stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive comments and I was delighted to read your feedback regarding your stay. With regards to your breakfast experience, some of our weekends can be very busy and we have just undergone a review on how we can improve on this. We did use your comments as part of this review and am pleased to say will be using a couple of your ideas. We have also just opened up our outdoor areas where guests can also take breakfast outside overlooking Langstone harbor.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Langstone hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Clint Marsh

There are newer reviews for Langstone Hotel

Reviewed 24 March 2011

On arrival the reception staff were very helpful in providing me the room.
The location is very nice just on the edge of Langstone Harbour however if you are using this hotel as an overnight stay whilst working on the mainland (this is an island after all) the main road starts to get busy at about 7:30 and trying to turn right into this traffic could be very entertaining.
On entering the room I found it on first glance to be more than adequate, relatively nice decoration, very comfortable bed, nice little working area, a TV (Not flat screen) and tea and coffee facilities (sadly - no biscuits). The downside was that the hotel had gone to the effort of providing a small meal table and two chairs however they obviously don’t check the condition of these chairs as the one I made myself comfortable in had a hole, the size of a ten-pence piece, in the arm.
Having arrived quite late I then decided to order room service and that's where it all started to go a awry. On the table I found the menu for the restaurant that had just closed - closes at 9:00 (Told you I was late)
I then searched the desk leaflets where one would expect to find additional hotel details etc. to find a leaflet about Stag and Hen Do's (I definitely wasn't on one of those), Massage Availability, Leisure Facilities and a Mini Bar, which was co-incidentally empty and as such you had to go to the bar (does that not defeat the object of a mini-bar in the room???)
I wandered to reception and the receptionist who apologised and then started to print one off. Having printed this they then proceeded to tear the paper in half (badly) and present me with these two half sheets of paper as my room service menu - not really what you would expect from a 4 star hotel. Further to this, whilst preparing my menu the receptionist decided to engage in what could be seen as unprofessional 'horse-play' with, I assume another member of staff.
Having sorted room service I decided to get online to complete some work, the desk in the room is about 5 feet long and about a 18 inches wide, just enough to get a laptop on and a couple of books. At one end is the TV on an arm attached to the wall so I decided to work at the opposite end. Wireless is only available in public areas although there were a couple of nearby signals picked-up; I decided not to use these wireless signals and thought “no a drams I’ll use the connection in the wall just under the TV about 3 feet away as the cable flies!”. On opening the drawer in the desk I grabbed the Ethernet cable and was extremely disappointed to find that the cable I am meant to use was about 15 inches long and would never have reached my laptop. As a result I found myself moving to the other end of the desk, under the TV connected to the hotel (high speed????) network so not only could I not work comfortably but also suffered 2nd degree burns from the TV (OK that was a joke – but I hope you get the picture – I certainly did, being that close to the TV)
After all the excitement of the evening I was a little tired and went to bed, which was very comfortable I might add, however on getting comfortable I realised that housekeeping were having a bad day and didn’t fit the duvet into the duvet cover correctly and as a result I found that I had managed to pull the underside of the duvet cover halfway up the bed to basically expose the duvet, so at 1 a.m. in the morning I found myself remaking the bed.
The next morning was the final eye-opener for me, I jumped in the shower to find that the shower head was set, with no available adjustment, to accommodate those of us under 5’6” now I’m not tall really at 5’10” but having to bend down in the shower to wash my hair I thought really wasn’t on!
Overall, the hotel isn’t too bad but I’m surprised it achieved a 4 Star Rating from the AA (They were obviously given a better room). However, as I said it’s the small things that matter and sometimes make the difference – as such I will probably not be booking this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2011

friendly staff, clean room and a great breakfast!! The fact food is served everywhere meant the we could sit as a whole family in the bar area without the stress of interrupting dinner guests in the restaurant.....all though i am sure families are welcome there too.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I'm still at the Langstone, this is my second night of 4.
I was booked in here by the Company I work for to attend a week-long training course.
First impressions are good - the location is great, the reception staff are friendly and the reception and bar area look modern, clean & welcoming. I'm afraid, so far, it is very much downhill from there.
My well appointed bedrooms was so cold, I had to sleep fully clothed last night to stay relatively warm - by day 2, the room is beginning to reach a bearable temperature.
i ate in the so-called 'A La Carte' restaurant last night (which astonishingly has 2 AA rosettes!). The menu was unexciting, the service was slapdash, with the serving staff having no idea of who ordered what, and mine & my colleagues' food was, at best, luke warm on arrival. Steaks were not cooked as requested, my salad had seen far better days and the general presentation was terribly disappointing.
I was looking forward to a nice hot shower to ease away the pain of a long sleepless night & to warm me up this morning - it was hot & powerful, but the hotel have chosen to install shower curtains, instead of a glass screen in the over-bath shower. Due to the power of the shower, the curtain kept wrapping itself around me as I was trying to shower - always a revolting experience, as I'm sure these are not cleaned between every guests departure/arrival.
Tonight I am having room service - I will update as necessary - wish me luck!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Had one night deal with Travelzoo at The Langstone, with dinner, wine and breakfast. On booking in we were offered an upgrade room- for a price-£30 (would have been nice to get this for free:) we decided not to bother and our room was fine, slightly noisy with doors banging in the night but otherwise very comfortable. The best thing about the hotel is the location stunning view and the food is the brasserie-delicious. The waiting staff were amazing-nothing was a problem to them.Hope to go back one day.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2011

We have just returned from this hotel. We had a good stay. Reception was very good on arrival. Health club is good. Room was really nice we were in a luxary room. Dinner was good in the restaurant and good with our 3 yr old. The negatives are that the room was really cold and we had to have extra heaters and duvets! and breakfast was just okay....i had to ask for nearly everything we wanted as it had run out so disappointed with breakfast and not that much choice.
We would go back though nice location...maybe in the summer though so the room is warm!

Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2011

The staff at this hotel were very helpful and friendly with a special mention to the spa and restaurant staff.

The food was first class and made our few days stay most enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2011
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North
The Bear Hotel
The Bear Hotel
#4 of 4 in Havant

Been to Langstone Hotel? Share your experiences!