“A lovely hotel that has gone down hill on quality, standard and service”
Review of Langstone Hotel

Langstone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hayling Island
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“A lovely hotel that has gone down hill on quality, standard and service”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Having booked on line for 2 nights stay to visit nearby family, booking on arrival was incorrect and hotel had only booked one night. We were told by receptionist that because of their error we would receive complimentary breakfast with our booking. We went for breakfast with our 3 year old both mornings (our daughter is 3 and ate one slice of our toast). Upon our departure we were charged £10 each person each breakfast even for our 3 year old so £60 on top of our 2 nights stay that we were promised would be complimentary. We have stayed several times over the years and the quality of food has gone down to the extent we both suffered bad stomachs. The standard of service and attitude of serving staff in restaurant and bar was disappointing and quite cheeky, had to beg for tea and coffee and sugar! Hotel advertised wifi in rooms however there was only an hour free for our whole stay only on one device, this hour was only obtained after several requests at reception. Swimming room changing rooms were disgustingly dirty and freezing cold. For a young child was simply not acceptable and could result in colds/chest infections. Have been to wedding at this hotel a year and a half ago and stayed several times whilst visiting nearby family, it has really gone down hill and the young staff that were present seemed to have a 'customer is not right' attitude. Definitely won't be going again and definitely wouldn't be recommending anyone. Most expensive breakfast for 3 year old ever absolutely appalled!!!

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Dorset
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We last stayed here four years ago when the hotel was undergoing refurbishment Our original booking was for a two night stay over Christmas but at the last minute we needed to change it to just one night and to amend the second night for a few weeks time. The reservation staff could not have been more helpful. The hotel is now very modern and welcoming and each member of staff was very polite and cheerful. Looking forward to our return visit in January..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Chippenham
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We were transferred here from the Brookfield in Emsworth which was suffering power problems after the storms.

On arrival, late on Christmas Eve we received a warm welcome. Staff were really helpful, especially during the night when we were awoken by another guest shouting for help. Nice clean, modern room with a good bathroom, new tv and comfortable bed. The breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice and good quality ingredients. The hotel appears to have been recently refurbished and is modern but cosy inside.

We left on Christmas Day expecting to return to the Brookfield but found ourselves at the Langstone for a second night. Again, staff were friendly and helpful. Our room, this time at the front of the building was clean, spacious and quiet. We enjoyed another great breakfast before leaving on Boxing Day. Having never spent christmas in a hotel, and not looking forward to it either, I found it was an enjoyable experience and I am glad that we spent it at the Langstone.

Highly recommended.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

After a two week closure for re-furbishment the leisure centre re-opened this week. Today's visit was less than pleasurable for the following reasons:
1. Pool - water cold & debris (plasters etc.) gathering at one end
2. Poolside sauna - closed for maintenance (!) although no-one was working on it during the time I was there
3. Steam room - not heating up properly & still a gap under the door through which any steam will escape
4. Jacuzzi - water lukewarm & the grilles around it which have been broken for simply ages have still not been replaced.
5. Clock by jacuzzi from which you can ascertain that you're not spending more than the recommended time has disappeared. It was there on Tuesday this week
6. Beware the new showers especially if you're taking children with you because the hot water is really extremely hot & may scald
7. Ladies sauna - there is still a 1 inch gap under the door through which heat escapes

Bar area - I must be strange as I enjoy socialising and chatting during lunch. This is sometimes made more difficult by the music (I use the term loosely) volume being played. Apparently music is obligatory but management don't always enjoy a guest asking for the volume to be lowered

If ordering sandwiches - don't expect a filling which you would find anywhere & everywhere in the USA. There appears to be little value placed upon portion control either.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marilyn P

Travellers are raving about these Hayling Island hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The christmas party was booked. Usual kind of menu choice and in a room with other companies celebrating their do. Ours was a table of 12. First impressions on entering hotel, seeing the room, the bar etc were all very favourable.
Then disaster. I wanted steak, as did a number of us. 'Rare please.' 'Sorry, only medium or well done.' 'What? Why? Everywhere you order steak it is cooked as the customer requests?' 'No Sir, only medium or well done.' 'Why?' 'The steaks have already been seared.' 'What?!?!?!'. And thus was the start of the most foulsome dinner I have ever been served in my life.
The starter was a terrine of ham hock and chicken with rocket and sauce. Presentation was naff with the terrine clearly cut from a mold (tasted pre-packed) and served as a slab on a few rocket leaves with the sauce to the side. It looked thrown together and though did not taste awful was disappointing.
Main course - the tepid steak was cooked so well it was difficult to chew, and covered with a sauce of such volume it was clearly designed to disguise the fact the steak had been severely harmed by the the cook (certainly not a chef). The swede and carrot were batons that had not been steamed but microwaved and thus tasteless. The best part of the main course was the new roast potatoes.
Finally christmas pud - surely this could not go wrong... I was wrong... It was again a pre-packed slab of christmas pud that was micowaved to an inch of its life and then spattered with a raspberry and a vanilla froth. So rubbery it bounced and then sat in the pit of my already damaged stomach.
And they'd already made us pay the £30 a head up front. I wasn't the only one complaining at the table.
I appreciate that the kitchen was catering for 100+ people that night, all there for their christmas meal but that should not be difficult for a hotel, let alone one that professes such a good reputation.
The night had been ruined, and sadly was made worse by the dicso. When oh when will a christmas disco employ a DJ that does not believe that people can only enjoy themselves if they play all the cheesy hits of the 70s and 80s. There's so much good music out there. Half the 100 customers weren't even born when the originals were released.
A truly shocking evening.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Adam O
Havant, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Having booked our office party for Friday 6th December at an evening event I received written confirmation we would be in The Brasserie function room as our staff had previously had a bad experience in a side room. When we arrived we were back in a side room not the Brasserie and told we could not be moved - a larger booking had effectively pushed us out. We were also put crudely on 2 round tables pushed together in a half empty side room. I pre-ordered the wine via email to the hotel but alas there was none and it took a good 25mins. and a new wine order. As I started the my meal the staff insisted I went to reception to pay for it and could not hold on account. I was further stunned when offered a bread roll from the waitress from a grubby cardboard box! I asked to speak to the duty manager and was told he was not present - which I did not believe as the hotel was full and bouncing. I was told he would call me on Monday - which he did not and I got a call from one of the vent staff called Holly on the Tuesday. We obviously made the most of it and eventually enjoyed ourselves despite the terrible organisation. I would add the staff in the function room were very good, the food was nice and Holly from the Events Management was excellent in trying to help solve a poor situation and did give discount on our wine order. I have now been offered a confirmed booking in The Brasserie for Xmas 2014 at 2013 rates from the duty manager via Holly but no contact from the duty management. I own a national service business and regularly use this Hotel for staff / visitors to my local office - I am now wondering why I do so?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Barry H
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Langstone hotel for a Christmas party. Firstly although only a tiny detail, this was the first mini trip we have had on our own without our little one since we got married and they booked me in as a Miss instead of a Mrs and although trivial, it did taint my trip. The room was mediocre, although clean and tidy, it was a little boring and not really anything more than a premier inn. The cold tap in the bathroom sink did not turn on and the hot tap ran constantly which scolded me. Although we were only staying for the one night I did expect a full roll of toilet paper and not the scraps that were put in the bathroom.

As for the Christmas party, the music was good and a fun atmosphere. The good on the other hand was nothing to celebrate. The started was a chicken and ham hock terrine but was more like a slab of rubber and it was not served with extra bread other than they table bread. The
Main was steak which was of poor quality and tasted like it had smash on the top, this was served with luke warm potatoes and veg. The pudding was a small square of Christmas pudding with a weird pink foam on top. The good note was the cheese and biscuits. Plenty of good cheese and very tasty.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

All in all I do not think this hotel and food is worth the money.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
#34 of 38 in Portsmouth
Number Four Boutique Hotel
Number Four Boutique Hotel
#3 of 38 in Portsmouth

Been to Langstone Hotel? Share your experiences!