Langstone Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
36 On the Quay(Emsworth)
The Crown(Emsworth)
View Hotel
Newtown House Hotel(Hayling Island)
  • Pool
1,914 results
All reviewsluxury roommurder mysterygroupon dealwet roomgood sizespa facilitiestrouser presssteam roomno liftovernight stayone night staylovely locationgood nights sleepa lovely stayleisure clubevening meallovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a murder mystery weekend an had an amazing time!! Natalie on reception sorted out and extra night for us in the same rooms so we didn't have to move all our stuff! Chrystal and Imogen on the bar were all so precessional and helpful throughout our stay.. We would defo be back.
Very clean hotel.. A wonderful break!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tashy83
hotelcareteam, Director of Sales at Langstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest

Many thanks for choosing The Langstone Hotel for your recent stay in Portsmouth.

I was delighted your stay was so enjoyable. I have passed on your comments on the team members to their line managers who will be delighted with the positive reviews.

I do hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Yet again tried the Langstone. This time at a Murder Mystery night. There was no mystery - the food was the killer. My friends were delivered pink chicken and hard potatoes there was a promise of leek and carrots - thankfully I had bought my magnifying glass. The smug smile was wiped off my face when I tucked into my veggie option. NOTE TO CHEF:just because I choose a veggie option doesn't mean I enjoy tasteless mush, I would be totally ashamed, if I was you, on last nights embarrassment.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank HPDunning
hotelcareteam, Director of Sales at Langstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor.

I was disappointed to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience during one of our Murder Mystery evenings. I was surprised to read your comments on the food quality as we had no reports on the actual evening.

Your comments certainly do not reflect the usual high standards that we at the hotel pride ourselves on.

I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you direct, if you would like please email me on dos@langstonehotel.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have to admit I was a little concerned about our weekend break choice having read some of the recent reviews but this was not necessary.
We were checked in by a friendly lady who gave us all the information we needed for an enjoyable stay including some hints and tips of things to see and do on the island!
Our room was spacious with superb views of the water and harbours. The bed turned out to be one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in!
The bar was busy with a wedding but we were lucky enough to grab some space on the wonderful sun terrace and enjoyed the people watching!
We chose to eat in the Brasserie restaurant having overheard a fabulous testimonial from some other guests who had eaten the night before! So pleased that we did - the staff were attentive and helpful and made our dinner a real dining experience. The duck with 5 spice potato terrine is a must. We enjoyed dessert (through choice) in the bar area along with coffee and liquors.
Breakfast on Sunday was extremely busy but as early risers we appeared to miss the main rush - a traffic light system is in place at the hotel to advise guests of the busy times - very handy! The continental choice was superb, better than some European hotels we have stayed in and the coffee and tea were free flowing.
We were disappointed that time on the island did not allow us to utilise the leisure facilities at the hotel, the pool looked superb and the beauty treatments, extremely reasonable. A perfect excuse to return I think!
All in all a wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable stay - a home away from home in less than a 2 hour drive!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review of the Langstone Hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us here.

Comments such as yours are very much appreciated as the team and myself are committed to a high standard of customer service and it is pleasing to receive such positive feedback.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future so that maybe you would be able to experience the leisure and beauty facilities here at the hotel.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

On approaching the hotel it looks great with wonderful waterside surroundings, on closer inspection it's in need of exterior decoration.

We had a long walk down the corridor to our room (this would be a problem for the elderly or infirm). We booked a twin bedded room but was allocated a large family room with comfortable beds... a large double, a single and a sofa (bed). Unfortunately I drew the short straw and had the single. The room had all the facilities one wants,; e.g fridge, tea making, hairdryer, iron & board, safe and TV.
The room was hot and the fan had to be permanently on as being on the ground floor couldn't safely leave the window open. It was very quiet, both internally and externally, there wasn't much passing traffic. A nice touch with the usual tea/coffee supplies was a bottle of water and a bar of chocolate.
The bathroom looked nice but was ridiculous in design the fixed large shower head sprayed past the inadequate glass panel, covering the toilet seat, flooding the floor as far as the basin vanity unit; it remained wet for a couple of hours after use and had a continuous dank smell. Another problem was the door didn't shut as it need adjusting, I reported it but as far as I know no one came to deal with it.
The safe was locked when I went to use it, I rang reception for help with it they said they'd send someone, they didn't turn up, I reminded them the next day, they still didn't turn up and as far as I know this is still locked (this also happened to a member of our party).

Evening Dining: The food is very good but there is a limited menu, the staff are friendly, polite and are attentive. The restaurant though is in need of decorating and the wipe able tables should be wiped and polished up as they look sticky and shabby; table clothes would have changed the whole dining experience as it would have brought it up to the level you would expect of a four star hotel and maybe better quality china and glassware would make it more special.
The breakfast is well presented but the scrambled egg was tasteless and the bacon looked better than it tasted, the rest of the items were good quality, the chocolate chip muffin and the blueberry muffin were excellent!

We found a couple of the reception staff unapproachable and a little unhelpful, fortunately the others were so nice that they made up for the surly ones!

Room Tip: If you can't walk far then let them know when you book.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christine T

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor.

Your comments and observations have been highlighted to the management team and will be addressed to ensure it does not reoccur in the future.

If you would like to discuss your stay with us direct I would be happy to hear from you. My email is dos@langstonehotel.co.uk.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Amongst a range of certificates attesting the excellence of this establishment (including the prestigious UK Automobile Association) behind the reception desk is also one from Trip Advisor, awarded in 2012. The staff vary from excellent to hopeless, including some in a role needing significant people skills which they lacked, and others who were simply obstructive. There was a fridge in the room (a switch with an illuminated red light was located in the wardrobe with the word 'fridge' above it) but its inside was clearly room temperature and when an enquiry at reception was made, the answer was that this was a cooler, not a fridge. Those of the Monty Python generation in particular may understand this explanation. No answer was forthcoming when further pressed as to why the word 'fridge' was there. And it did not keep food cool overnight. One bath towel was provided for a double room, the iron was dirty (something burnt), a line for an outside telephone connection (dial 9) was not working, and the room was not made up daily. I have stayed here several times (family in the area), like the ambiance, and the location is excellent. However there seems a shortage of local competition and the hotel acts as though it knows it. This is not what I would describe as budget accommodation, and does not fit the "you get what you pay for" maxim. For a hotel of this level, I could go on: I was told there was no laundry service (dry cleaning only), not possible to adjust the heating, bathroom door poorly hung and unless checked swung open to hit the heated towel rail with some vigour. Young staff, willing though most seemed to be and certainly not rude, are not getting the training from their seniors - if well organised, those responsible for the day-to-day running would be summoned by their bosses for an interview without coffee. Clearly nobody had checked the room - one glitch, possibly 2, is excusable (who gets it right all the time?), but multiple flaws tell their own story. And when it came to settling up, there was an attempt to charge me for newspapers(not ordered), and also confirming that I had had breakfast each day (I hadn't had any) I was there (I saw guests have room numbers marked off on presentation) - do staff communicate at all, or have they been instructed to try to trap guests who don't check before paying? Trip Advisor's excellent reputation for integrity will not last if they are giving awards to places like this, especially as recently as two short years ago.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Angus K

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor.

I was disappointed to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience. Your comments did not reflect the usual high standards of customer service that we pride ourselves on at the Langstone Hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.