“Looks Nice, but far too many flaws!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Langstone Hotel

Langstone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hayling Island
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Looks Nice, but far too many flaws!”
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I'm still at the Langstone, this is my second night of 4.
I was booked in here by the Company I work for to attend a week-long training course.
First impressions are good - the location is great, the reception staff are friendly and the reception and bar area look modern, clean & welcoming. I'm afraid, so far, it is very much downhill from there.
My well appointed bedrooms was so cold, I had to sleep fully clothed last night to stay relatively warm - by day 2, the room is beginning to reach a bearable temperature.
i ate in the so-called 'A La Carte' restaurant last night (which astonishingly has 2 AA rosettes!). The menu was unexciting, the service was slapdash, with the serving staff having no idea of who ordered what, and mine & my colleagues' food was, at best, luke warm on arrival. Steaks were not cooked as requested, my salad had seen far better days and the general presentation was terribly disappointing.
I was looking forward to a nice hot shower to ease away the pain of a long sleepless night & to warm me up this morning - it was hot & powerful, but the hotel have chosen to install shower curtains, instead of a glass screen in the over-bath shower. Due to the power of the shower, the curtain kept wrapping itself around me as I was trying to shower - always a revolting experience, as I'm sure these are not cleaned between every guests departure/arrival.
Tonight I am having room service - I will update as necessary - wish me luck!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Had one night deal with Travelzoo at The Langstone, with dinner, wine and breakfast. On booking in we were offered an upgrade room- for a price-£30 (would have been nice to get this for free:) we decided not to bother and our room was fine, slightly noisy with doors banging in the night but otherwise very comfortable. The best thing about the hotel is the location stunning view and the food is the brasserie-delicious. The waiting staff were amazing-nothing was a problem to them.Hope to go back one day.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Bucks
Reviewed 6 February 2011

We have just returned from this hotel. We had a good stay. Reception was very good on arrival. Health club is good. Room was really nice we were in a luxary room. Dinner was good in the restaurant and good with our 3 yr old. The negatives are that the room was really cold and we had to have extra heaters and duvets! and breakfast was just okay....i had to ask for nearly everything we wanted as it had run out so disappointed with breakfast and not that much choice.
We would go back though nice location...maybe in the summer though so the room is warm!

Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2011

The staff at this hotel were very helpful and friendly with a special mention to the spa and restaurant staff.

The food was first class and made our few days stay most enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2011
uk
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Check in prompt, room was large and very clean,very helpful staff,nice pool-nice clean changing rooms, excellent dinner in the restaurant and very good breakfast the next morning. free internet and as our rooom was a way from reception wasnt wireless but they provide a cable, would def stay again

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 5 January 2011

The Langstone has a great location right on the tip of Hayling Island overlooking the water and whilst not the most appealing of façades the approach is not too bad.

A longish queue at check in afforded the opportunity to hear some guests comments - not good! One guest announced he was leaving after waiting 1 1/2 hours for someone to sort out the heating in his room, another was waiting to complain to the manager and another complained of no heating in two rooms! We we given a room at the end of a long corridor a good 3 minute walk from Reception/ restaurant area which considering we have an 18month old child was not clever thinking on behalf of the Receptionist. The room was smallish but adequate. We had requested a cot in the room which was not there when we checked in (arrived sometime later without bedding which was cobbled together sheets and a blanket as the staff could not find anything better!) The bar and retaurant areas having recently been refurbished were excellent, very welcoming, cosy and relaxing. The barman (with glasses) was particularly friendly and offered great service.

Breakfast on New Year's Day was chaotic with the dinning room full to capacity, with a single poor rotating toaster machine not able to cope with the demand and generally a below average buffet offer. The dinning room itself offers great views over the water and is a nice environment to eat in.

We used the pool (great service at the Spa Reception) which was bigger than average and warm. Probably the highlight of the whole stay.

What really surprised us is that we were seated at the same table for breakfast the next morning and we noticed the floor had not been swept/ cleaned from the previous day! Our son had left a lot of debris below his high chair (as babies do!) which was all still there!

On check out I mentioned their website lowest price guarantee of a 10% discount should I find a cheaper booking (Laterooms rate was considerably better than the hotels own website!) However the Receptionist explained this was not applicable as I should have informed them of the rate when I first booked. Considering the overall experience I though it would have been a gracious gesture - wishful thinking!

Unfortunately the Langstone has ideas above its station and measure up to a 3 star at best. There are some good elements such as the bar/ restaurant/ pool and a couple of great staff but overall I feel that there was little or no management during our stay and improvements need to be made.

Disappointing.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Tring, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I booked this hotel for a short weekend break with my boyfriend as I knew the area fairly well as went to Portsmouth University (many years ago!). I chose this hotel due to the location of not being far from great shops in Portsmouth and Gunwarth Keys which is superb, but far enough away to enjoy some relaxation, and nice scenery away from it all.

I was not disappointed, the scenery around the hotel was stunning, particularly the breakfast views along with a more than adequate breakfast buffet. The swimming pool and spa were well used in our visit and my boyfriend did not pick holes in anything so assume it was of standard as he is usually very picky! We did not eat in the restaurant, mainly due to already arranging to meet with old friends in Portsmouth, however the food smelt good as we headed out.

Rooms were comfortable and clean, Wi-fi OK although did have a few problems trying to connect at first, but was using my slightly 'dodgy' laptop so not sure if hotel's fault. Staff and service seemed friendly enough around the hotel, nothing really to report, just your normal polite staff you would expect in a good hotel.

Overall both me and boyfriend was happy with our stay, it served our purpose and would recommend to family and friends in the future. Wish we could have made the weather a bit warmer to spend more time outside enjoying the views, but it is one of coldest Novembers ever recorded!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayling Island
Newtown House Hotel
Newtown House Hotel
#4 of 4 in Hayling Island
Premier Inn Portsmouth Havant South (Langstone/A27)
Brookfield Hotel
Number Four Boutique Hotel
Number Four Boutique Hotel
#2 of 38 in Portsmouth
BEST WESTERN Royal Beach Hotel

Been to Langstone Hotel? Share your experiences!