“poor choice”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hayling Island
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“poor choice”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was our first time at a warner leisure and if this is their standard it is our last. The premier lodge was dark and smelt of damp it looked nothing like it did in the brocher . The food was first class and staff very nice will not be going to a warner again

1 Thank Janice C
GuestLiaisonLakeside, Guest Liaison at Warner Lakeside Coastal Village, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for reviewing your break.

I am so sorry to see that we did not meet your expectations. If you wish to discuss your issues any further, please do not hesitate to contact us so we can fully investigate your comments.

I hope we will hear from you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Just returned from Hayling Island Lakeside 4 great days with plenty of delicious food,all be it in a rather cramped style.Entertainment was available through the day if you wished and every night. The only complaints were with the eating and entertainment being combined but I believe this may be redressed in the near future,this in my own opinion ,would benefit guests and staff alike. I would return again but after visiting another Warners Leisure centre I feel like exploring the other venues first. Overall a very enjoyable break plus weather was kind too which always helps :-).

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank roamergirl51sc
What a great review. Thank you so much.

I am so happy to see that the weather was on your side and hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.
Basingstoke
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I booked a long weekend a year ago informing warners I was in a wheelchair and on oxygen. I received a letter informing me we would be moved due to upgrading of accommodation. Again I told them I was in a wheelchair. On arrival I found our room whilst on the ground floor had a large step to get over. Which I couldn't without help of 2 men. Warners changed our room but again had a step, so all weekend I had to get assistance of 2 men each time I wanted in or out of our room. This put a damper on our weekend, we have been going to lakeside for 10 years now, and this was the worst time for me.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marion L
Thank you for talking the time to review your break at Lakeside.

I am sorry to hear that your accommodation needs were not met. So we can investigate your comments further, please contact us directly.

I hope to hear from you soon.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My wife and I have just returned from our 11th visit to Lakeside and have rebooked for next year. But anyone reading these reviews may well be confused.. Will your trip be a splendid break or a disappointing waste of money ?
The reason for the conflicting reviews is, in my opinion, as follows.
Warners is a large company run by expert businessmen with large salaries with one aim....To maximise profit from their customers for their shareholders.
Lakeside, however, is run by a dedicated group of not overpaid people whose aim is to ensure that, despite the cheeseparing efforts of Warners, guests will have a memorable holiday for the right reasons.
Yes ! Part of the village is a building site complete with lorries and busy builders producing lots of noise and dust. According to the brochure these new buildings will offer sophistication and leisure in 2014 but it doesn't mention that they are not yet ready ..
The original buildings are now very old and most of them need a complete refurbishment but Warners have decided that customers may complain, but will accept interiors well past their sell by date and disgusting bathrooms. Warners provided an excellent Cabaret Dining room with a small dance floor and a first class stage for the superb entertainment. The tables and crockery etc. are quite luxurious and the food is usually very good. This venue would be splendid for, in my opinion, about 200 people but Warners have decided to cram in about twice this number (To maximise profit from their customers for their shareholders.)
Warners have decided that there is no profit in giving free coffee and mints after dinner but £1.50/cup adds up to a nice addition to the profits. As old customers (in every sense of the word) we are in the Concierge Club which gives us one or two appreciated perks but to qualify next year we have to book two holidays for this year
So why do we and many others keep going back ? The answer is that the staff, administrators, waiters, cleaners, gardeners, maintenance men all do their very best to sort out any problems (apart from domestic). So here's a tip...Don't go home and moan about a bad experience. Tell the staff and if they don't sort you out then go home and moan. We had a very quite, well decorated 2 bedroomed chalet adjacent to the bowling green. Pitch and Putt, Archery and rifle range with a private car space. Our dining table did not require us to be shoulder to shoulder and back to back with strangers and we avoided the first rush of hungry eaters by arriving about 30 minutes after the start of the meal
I have already said that all the staff were superb so it would be unfair to mention individuals such as Kirsty, Bryan, Chris, Peter and Paul
We have not, never have had and never will have a financial interest in Lakeside though I wouldn't mind being a Warner's Shareholder.

Grumpy Grandpa

Room Tip: Keep your fingers crossed
2 Thank GrumpyGp
Thank you so much for your review regarding your recent break.

I am so happy to see that the Team here at Lakeside did all they could to ensure you had a fantastic time.

I will ensure all your other comments are passed back to their relevant departments.

I am glad to see that we are welcoming you back again and look forward to seeing you soon.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

went on a monday to friday break with a coach company, having been there before was realy looking forward to it, the food,entertainment, and cleanliness was superb, however it was like a holiday on a building site nobody said that there would be building work going on, peace and quite forget it. the holiday was not cheap so we expected a discount or a sorry from warners or the coach company. i will certainly think again before i book with either.

Room Tip: get away from the building work if you can
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 1ogee
GuestLiaisonLakeside, Guest Liaison at Warner Lakeside Coastal Village, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent holiday at Lakeside.

I am pleased to read that everything to do with your accommodation, food and entertainment was to your satisfaction but sorry that the building works spoiled things for you. We are working with the contractors to ensure that disruption is kept to a minimum and apologise that you were disturbed by this. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the relevant departments.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back once the work is finished.
Essex
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Chalets incredibly tired and smelled stale, basic housekeeping and no vacuuming at all during 3 night stay. Reception and dining area etc lovely, as was the food. The rest of the place had more building work than expected and the advertising as a fantastic holiday village will be more accurate once everything has been updated. To be honest we expected our stay to be not exactly five star, but at least to have modern chalets with fresh decor, not stained grout and dirty walls and less than spotless hospitality trays as an example. It would be better to close the village down whilst the refurbishment is going on as it's too small a resort to do so when guests are there - the fenced off areas and piles of rubble etc are too on top of you, and very unsightly The staff tried very hard and did their best to entertain everyone. Actually the entertainment was very good as a whole. We wouldn't stay at this particular resort again, although would try one of the Warner hotels.

4 Thank Ninja1
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent break at Lakeside.

I am sorry that your time here did not match your expectations.

The extensive refurbishment of the site which is currently underway will address some of the issues you have raised and we are confident that the improvements will be worthwhile. We are a business which opens throughout the year and to close during the works was not possible.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back some time in the future when you will be able to enjoy the improvements we have made.
UK
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I felt I had to write this review in response to some of the negative ones I've read. We had an excellent weekend here and I must admit I had some doubts before we arrived because of some of the comments.
Unfortunately the weather wasn't great and yes there was some building work going which I had been notified about in advance, it was all fenced off and wasn't a problem.
Our chalet was good, clean and warm, plenty of tea and coffee and two packs of biscuits everyday. Also had a free safe which I was pleased about as so mant times you have to pay for them.
The service we received from everyone was outstanding, nothing was too much trouble, I was particularly concerned about the dining tables behind the pillars in the dining/entertainment area and spoke in advance with the restaurant manager about this, in the end this wasn't an issue and there are no large pillars in front of tables.
The food was a excellent, plenty of choice, food was hot, wine plentiful in the evening served at the table on this drinks inclusive package, always a bonus!
The entertainment first class, the team that put all this together worked hard throughout the day and evening to ensure that everyone was enjoying themselves. Really enjoyed the comedian on Friday, Re Take That on Saturday night were an excellent tribute act, wish they were on longer though and the staff 70's on Sunday evening.
Daytime activities were plentiful, there was always something going on and something new to try your hand at. In response to one of the other reviews we didn't win any competitions but it's the taking part that counts not the prizes!
All in all a very good weekend, I'd come back and do it all again and as the previous comment says, holidays are what you make them.

Room Tip: We had Starling 1, end of a block, was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank caz22
GuestLiaisonLakeside, Guest Liaison at Warner Lakeside Coastal Village, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
We were delighted to read your great review and are so pleased that your stay was such a success.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

We look forward to seeing you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayling Island
Crouchers Hotel
#2 of 8 in Chichester
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North
Travelodge Chichester Central

Been to Warner Lakeside Coastal Village? Share your experiences!