“Excellent Food and Service”

The Stump Cross Inn
Ranked #11 of 298 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: British, Brew Pub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed 31 December 2010

I have eaten at the Stump Cross several times with friends and have never had a bad meal. My favourite on the menu is the baked brie and the chicken pie, but you can't beat the carvery for good value and excellent food. I would recommend the Stump Cross to anybody looking for good food at a great price.

1 Thank mbo220510

WYorks
“Really, really not worth the effort”
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Had a terrible time here. Ordered a chicken sizzler, which on arrival had not the slightest bit of sizzle on it. Just a very large lump of chicken, very oily with a large oily mushroom next to it and toppped with, quite frankly, greasy bland onion rings. My 3 companions had similar eating experiences. Out of the 4 of us only 1 had a nice meal. Inedible cheesecake for desert, a very mousselike texture which we sent straight back. We were delivered the wrong wine which I immediately pointed out, the man behind the bar (manager?) rather sullenly just plonked the correct one on the table without bothering to check he had got it right or offer any kind of apology. All in all, the staff are young and inexperienced and the man who appeared to be in charge very sullen. The food was terrible. When you combine the poor service with poor food you begin to question how they remain open. Suffice to say we won't be going back, nor recommending. Particularly when you consider that only 5 mins away there is the shibden mill inn (why didn't we go there, we normally do!) and then all the lovely restaurants in Halifax??
Oh, and we were told we had to make final orders at 10.30 as closing!!!! Really?

2 Thank Mr_MrsWYorks
Chorley, Lancashire
“AMAZING EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We stayed overnight at the Stump Cross to celebrate my husbands birthday, The atmosphere is fabulous, the Manager/Owner John is amazing, nothing is too much trouble. The food is delicious. Very highly recommended, both with us and our friends!

1 Thank thebrook5
yorkshire
“Stump Cross Inn, pub grub”
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We've been eating at the Stump Cross Inn for over a year now, and until today we've found the food to be to a good quality, well presented and represented reasonable value for money. On this note we booked a table and went tonight (19/08/09) expecting the same consistent quality at the right price.

I ordered the Gammon main course and my wife asked for the Chicken and Bacon salad with the bacon cooked very crisp.

When the food arrived ten minutes later my wife was dissapointed to see that the bacon quite fatty and was not crisp at all, and after trying her chicken found it to be very fatty. The gammon that I received had a large round of fat which represented a higher percentage of fat to meat to what I'm used to with Gammon, although the meat itself was ok.

My wife left about half her salad after cutting around what fat she could, and I sliced off the round of fat from mine and ate what was left.

The waitress did ask if the meal was ok, we did clearly describe what we felt, to which the waitress said "oh I'm sorry" then strolled away to serve the next customer. I reiterated our concerns with the meal with the staff member behind the bar but received a very defensive reply with no form of apology or offering.

We were regular customers until now, after this experience particularly based on the staff members attitude to problems and given the amount of competition in the pubs serving food we will be eating elsewhere. If the staff don't care what customers opinions are when customer have made the effort to complain then I don't believe that they deserve the custom, plenty of pubs do exist where customers are valued and are looked after.