“Charming”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Charming”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I have stayed here with colleagues several times. The hotel is charming with a relaxing atmosphere and the staff are extremely friendly. The hotel is very clean with comfortable beds and quality bedding. The food is good and well presented.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thank you Nabil J for your kind words and for sharing your experience with fellow travelers. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on business and thought it was absolutely charming. I checked in at 7pm and was offered a complimentary glass of wine which was a nice surprise! My room had velux windows and just felt really individual and I had a great nights sleep! Breakfast was cooked to order and whilst service was not as smooth, it was delicious! I would stay again and wished I'd had longer! I can't fault the service especially the lovely cheerful girls on reception.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Jackie L, thank you for staying with us during your business trip, we really do hope you'll come back for a longer stay next time. Kind regards from the team here.
Aldershot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We came for a long weekend to meet up with family. The hotel is a treat, old stunning building that adds so much before you even get to your room. Bed was a bit creaky but it seemed to fit the bill. Most of the staff are friendly and were quick to help. We met up for a big family meal and the service was great, lots of changes to plates of food and all remembered. There are plenty of quiet areas to relax in after dinner and enjoy the old house which was great for us as we wanted to continue our family talks in a more relaxed way. Great weekend.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you Adam T for your review of Holdsworth House. We are pleased that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and hope that you'll return soon for another short break in Yorkshire.
Halifax
Reviewed 16 April 2013

My partner and I went to the restaurant yesterday to celebrate our 1st anniversary. We were so disappointed that I felt I had to write a review. Which I have never done before!!. There is no doubt the Holdsworth house itself is full of history and character, but that’s it!! The atmosphere was non existent, the service was lacking and the food a real disappointment.

It didn't start out well, I was served a G&T with flat tonic water and had to ask for a replacement, which was brought to me without fuss but was then made with the house Gin rather than the more expensive type I specifically requested. After ordering we were seated in the restaurant which was so quiet that every word spoken was heard by everyone else in the dinning area, of which there were just 3 people.

The starters were lovely and we really enjoyed them, but the main course came (Duck) and it was impossible to cut through let alone chew. After sending it back I was left with the menu to order something else and by the time they came back to re-take and order my partner was halfway through his meal. I went without a main course. Desert was OK but certainly nothing to shout about. Oh yes and I had to ask for the waiter to clear our side plates when desert was served...very poor service. We ordered coffee's and moved to sit in the bar area. When the coffee arrived my partners Latte was nothing but milk with a hint of coffee, and my coffee was bitter and virtually undrinkable, not to mention luke warm.

The meal cost us £70 (Without having to pay for the Duck) When we paid I complained but the attitude was met with was that I had not been charged for my main course and that was ok. All in all the attitude was simply that they did not care that we will never return or recommend Holdsworth house. Let alone that I was going home hungry.

I have never written a review before but was so disappointed I felt compelled to share. A waste of £70. I will be contacting Holdsworth House Customer Relations and see if there attitude is any better but I am not holding my breath. My recommendation is to find somewhere else to eat. Unfriendly, lacking in atmosphere, disappointing and expensive!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark D
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear ToppersMD72 we are very sorry that your experience of Holdsworth House Restaurant did not live up to our usual standards and your high expectations. Our food and service is what makes us usually stand head and shoulders above the rest so we are investigating immediately to see what went wrong on this occasion. We would greatly appreciate you providing your contact details to Phil Lockwood on 01422 2400254 so that we may speak with you direct and put the matter right.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We were visiting family in nearby Queensbury and didn't want to impose on them with ourselves and our big furry dog Henry, we choose Holdsworth House as the pictures and reviews were good and we were not disappointed, the staff were a credit to the hotel, smart, cheerful and knowledgeable . The hotel it self has the wow factor, lovely furniture, open fires and a great garden, the rooms were extremely comfortable. We will definitely be booking again in the near future. The price of our room was very reasonable which included a delicious full English breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth T
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Ruth T we are thrilled that you so enjoyed your stay with us, our teams will be delighted to read your review. Please do stay again if you return to Yorkshire, we would love to see you again.
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Four of us had a wonderful get together meal at the Holdsworth Hotel. The building itself and features inside set the meal off nicely. I chose the jubilee menu of delicious pate and a cod main that was a true pleasure. We would certainly recommend the restaurant and hotel to celebrate any occasion.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ELS1980
Dear ELS1980 thank you for dining at Holdsworth House, we are pleased that you loved the food and atmosphere. Please do pass the word around and come back soon!
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

my son got married last weekend,could not wish for a better place for the event,the staff could not do enough for you, the food was excellent,the grounds were pristine,rooms were very clean,if not a bit on the small side,but a very comfy bed,will be returning just to enjoy the brill food.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank notynot
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you Notynot for your review of Holdsworth House and for choosing our historic hotel for your son's wedding. We're already looking forward to you returning - try our Yorkshire on a Fork events for more fabulous food!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halifax
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
The Imperial Crown Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton

Been to Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!