Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
    • Restaurant
    • Restaurant
    View Hotel
    The New Hobbit(Sowerby Bridge)
    View Hotel
    All reviewsafternoon teacomplimentary glass of winesconeswedding guestscream teabeautiful hotelgardens are beautifulscallopsstuart roommullioned windowssplit level suiteopen firejacobean manorold housenooks and crannieson arrivalyorkshire breakfast
    Reviewed 18 December 2013

My wife and I had an overnight stay with dinner, bed and breakfast on the Anniversary special. Was just what we needed. About 40 minutes door to door from our home in Leeds and a we felt completely relaxed while we were there. Had a very cosy room with champagne waiting for us, and a four poster bed. A highlight was the evening meal - we are both big meat lovers and the steaks were superb. It's always nice when your steak arrives how you asked for it cooked in our country!

The service was attentive but subtle, we didn't feel rushed at any point, but we didn't feel that anyone had forgotten about us either. I've stayed in quite a few nice places around the world, and the service was like a good French restaurant (in France, not the UK) where the servers have a quiet confidence in how they go about things, but let the food and the environment do the talking.

We will definitely be coming back as very easy to get to for us and would certainly recommend it to anyone in Yorkshire or those from father afield. Just another point - there was a wedding on but that was in a completely separate part of the hotel so didn't affect us at all. Superb breakfast as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
    HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear donalessandro, thank you firstly for your review. Personal recommendations are so wonderful and our team will be thrilled to hear such high praise at this busy time of the year. We look forward to welcoming you again - our new seasonal menu will be launched early February and there's sure to be plenty you'll like.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

having read other reviews it seem like we went to the wrong hotel. we have every year for the last 10 years or so booked dinner as a special occasion at Holdsworth House hotel for a birthday and wedding anniversary treat. Over the years things have changed, but the location and house would always make this a special occasion. the quality of service along with the quality food served at Holdsworth house should place it and rightly so as one of the best around and certainly in the Halifax area.
    the last 2 years have changed with last year when we brought friends with ourselves to enjoy the evening at the hotel we first found that as we entered via the restaurant entrance we had to pass through a very busy wedding reception and a small band playing. this with guest of the bride and groome was most uncomfortable but only to then try and find some staff member to let them know that we had arrived for dinner. All rooms appeared to have wedding gest in them with no area for anyone who had booked dinner at the hotel. We where eventually taken to a seating area at the side of the reception desk for pre dinner drinks. this year we again booked dinner thinking that last year was just a one off only to find the same once again but even worse. we parked again following the sign to the restaurant car park and walked across the garden in foul weather to find the entrance locked. After knocking a couple of time with no response I left my wife in the entrance by the front door where I walked around the hotel to the main entrance only to walk through the hotel and all the wedding guest to let my wife in and to find this door bolted.
    We again had to negotiate our way through wedding guest back to reception and spoke to the receptionist where we where told that again there was nowhere to sit as wedding guest where in every room. There was initially no where to sit and no one made any effort to provide this we thought that we would have to stand in reception until we where called for dinner. We where after a while shown to a corner with one chair only and a member of staff then brought a second chair. We had no sooner had a drink brought to our table when we where ushered into the dinning area.

Firstly let me state I have no objection to the wedding venue, but feel that paying restaurant guests should at least have either a bar area set aside for their use and not just sat in any corner that is available as it appears that there are plenty of rooms in this spacious hotel.
    This is not completely a dour note as the restaurant staff along with the service and food was once again first class it is only the initial experience that lets this hotel and restaurant down and should be addressed.
    GSP Halifax

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
    HoldsworthHouse, General Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Gavin P.

Thank you for taking the time to feedback back about your recent dining experience at Holdsworth House, and for your loyalty to the Hotel over the years.
    We absolutely appreciate the importance of making our guests arrival experience as welcoming as possible, it is unfortunate on this occasion that a guest took it upon themselves to lock the front door due to the high winds, which I understand the Reception apologised for at the time.
    As a hotel which accepts all different types of guests we try our very best to the make all our guests feel welcome, however I can see on this occasion we were unable to achieve this and for this I would like to apologise.
    On a positive note I was glad that you found both the food and the service to be first class, it is what we constantly strive for.
    If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel, have a Happy Christmas and i hope i have the pleasure of welcoming you back personally in the New Year.

Warm regards

Richard Christie

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Holdsworth House is definitely the place for any wedding! Myself and Emma had the most amazing time and the staff were fabulous. From our taster night to leaving on the day after we were treated impeccably. No panics, no, stress and always available to help whether that be the receptionists, waiters, cooks, they were all brilliant.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank brianconnolly635
    HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear brianconnolly635, many congratulations on your recent marriage, we were delighted to have played a part. Your feedback will be passed on to the team, who will be really happy their efforts resulted in such a special day. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I recently stayed for a week at The Holdsworth House for the second time in around a year, and although the setting is absolutely stunning, I feel I should comment on the poor service at breakfast. While it may not seem that important, as I was there on business and having to arrive at my customer's office every monring I consder it one of the most important aspects of my stays. I only managed to get my breakfast served once, on the other days I had to cancel the order (or didnt get the opportunity to order at all) as the waitress was too busy talking with some actors that were staying at the hotel at the same time. It is a shame as I have another visit due before the end of the year, but I would be reluctant to use this hotel again because of this.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
    2  Thank Paul W
    HoldsworthHouse, General Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Paul W,

Thank you for taking the time to review Holdsworth House following your experience with us.

May I firstly say how disappointed the team and I were to read your comments about the service you received at breakfast. Delivering engaging and individual service to ALL our valued guests is our absolute aim, however I can see that we have been unable to fulfill our promise during your time with us, and for this I would like to sincerely apologise.

I will of course be sharing your constructive feedback with the breakfast team, in order that future guests are not affected in the same adverse way you were. If you do have the time speak personally with me I would be most grateful (01422 232362), as I am keen to understand more about what happened and work to reinstall your confidence in the hotel.

On a positive note I was glad that you found the setting of the hotel to be stunning, we continue to work hard to maintain Holdsworth House as a unique and special property with service to match.

Kindest regards

Richard Christie

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I've been lucky enough to stay at Holdsworth house this week when its decorated for Christmas. It's a beautiful hotel anyway but with the Christmas decorations in place it was stunning.
    As in previous visits the food was excellent!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
    HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Tony B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your views of the hotel.

Holdsworth House lends itself so well to the Christmas period and we love to celebrate it, while making our guests feel special by offering great food and service.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon.