We started 2014 in style with a three-night break at Holdsworth House with friends. We had booked a suite, but the first we were shown smelled strongly of cigarettes and the second just wasn't as pretty, so we settled for a "house double". And to be honest, we didn't really lose much in accommodation and saved money, which can't be bad.
The hotel is beautiful inside and out. In fact we felt that if anything the TV didn't do it justice.
The staff were all delightful, and nothing was too much trouble for them. This applies to the receptionists, housekeepers, bar staff and reception staff who all, in their turn, spent time chatting with us and checking that all was well.
And so to meal times. We had booked a package that included both dinner and breakfast, so we experienced both three times. I can honestly say that between the four of us we did not have a single complaint about any of the meals, but plenty of praise. They obviously source quality ingredients and they understand how to cook it and present it perfectly. Just a very simple example: the bacon served at breakfast was thicker than that usually served elsewhere, so it didn't crinkle, shrivel or burn and was satisfying to chew. By the same token, I had the tastiest steaks (both beef and lamb) that I have been served anywhere.
So - any complaints or niggles? Well, Holdsworth House is deservedly a popular wedding venue (we were told that they had one every day in August) and I read other reviews on here complaining about noisy wedding guests banging up and down corridors. Management's response then was that they would always advise guests when booking if there was a wedding scheduled during their stay. That arrangement didn't work when we booked and we did experience drunken girls calling and banging doors at 3a.m. OK, we went back to sleep, but it does illustrate what can happen. My advice would be to enquire when booking - don't expect to be told. To be fair, though, the real problem is with the wedding guests, not the hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Halifax's only four-star hotel is now listed in the 2013 Michelin Guide along with the country's elite hotels & restaurants. Holdsworth House is a beautiful Jacobean manor built in 1633, which has been owned and run by the Pearson family for 50 years. The manor stands in stunning, secluded gardens and is just three miles north of Halifax. It feels a world apart from the bustle of everyday life and is a perfect choice for accommodation, weddings and conferences. In this beautiful old house you'll find open fires, cosy lounges, fine antiques and tapestries that create a sense of history and comfort. The 39 charming bedrooms are all ensuite and have all been individually furnished. Dinner is served by candlelight in the 17th Century, oak-paneled 2 AA Rosette-winning restaurant whilst the Long Bar has a simpler brasserie style menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holdsworth House Hotel And Restaurant
- Holdsworth Hotel Halifax
- Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant Halifax, West Yorkshire