This is a good hotel - an atmospheric country house set in fine gardens with attentive and well trained staff. It also has a great restaurant, a wide choice of local foods, well prepared and served - not too much, but thoughtfully put together and a wine list that is reasonable whilst being very palatable. It would be our view however, that the hotel doesn't quite match up to the restaurant.
This is a comment more on the configuration of the place than anything anyone can do much about. When we booked, we upgraded from a 'snug' to a 'standard', but when we got into our room we literally had to check. The upstairs rooms have slanting a slanting roof that make space tight, and we used to have more cupboard space on our narrowboat! It was tight. We managed to see some of the rooms on the ground floor, and our advice would be to go for these, or even, if you feel like it, go for the suites, which are split over two floors. The hotel has the right intentions re wifi, offering it free, no questions asked, but boy was it temperamental! Okay, you could say it was the thick walls, but a few airports would sort that out. We were there midweek and working, and this was a problem.
On the other hand, midweek is probably good. The hotel has 'wedding' written all over it, so, like others have said, check first. As it happened there was a local event on while we were there and the kitchen/serving staff only just coped - luckily we were fairly chilled, but there were a couple of others who were getting agitated.
So, if it was a restaurant alone we'd say a generous four star. As a hotel though it's a mean three star - which to be fair, is close to where where the owners put it (three star plus). Worth it, but be warned ....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Halifax's only four-star hotel is now listed in the 2013 Michelin Guide along with the country's elite hotels & restaurants. Holdsworth House is a beautiful Jacobean manor built in 1633, which has been owned and run by the Pearson family for 50 years. The manor stands in stunning, secluded gardens and is just three miles north of Halifax. It feels a world apart from the bustle of everyday life and is a perfect choice for accommodation, weddings and conferences. In this beautiful old house you'll find open fires, cosy lounges, fine antiques and tapestries that create a sense of history and comfort. The 39 charming bedrooms are all ensuite and have all been individually furnished. Dinner is served by candlelight in the 17th Century, oak-paneled 2 AA Rosette-winning restaurant whilst the Long Bar has a simpler brasserie style menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holdsworth House Hotel And Restaurant
- Holdsworth Hotel Halifax
- Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant Halifax, West Yorkshire