“Cracking little hotel”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Fife
“Cracking little hotel”
Reviewed 3 April 2009

We stayed here for my niece's wedding and can thoroughly recommend it. The staff were friendly and welcoming from the very first and we were so impressed by the lovely old house and the excellent food. Our room was quiet, cosy and very clean with a very comfortable bed and the only little complaint would be the nesting rooks which woke us a bit early but I would rather have them than street noise. The wedding went without a hitch and I know the newlyweds were thrilled with it as were all the family. We even decided to stay an extra night and see something of the moors and Bronte country which was a treat for my wife. A weekend to remember

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
west yorkshire
Reviewed 17 March 2009

I stayed here for my friends' wedding and was impressed on our initial arrival. The room where they got married was v pretty as were many of the other common areas. We had decided to treat ourselves to a night but were disappointed when we saw the room. It was tiny, including the bed which we could barely fit on. It was also so soft that we disappeared the minute we laid on it. In their defense they let us look at some other rooms and pick one with a firmer bed. Unfortunately we still struggled to sleep on it so they gave us a camp bed. It can only be described as a torture device with springs that poked me in the back while my legs hung over the bottom. And they, without telling us, charged us £15 for the privilege. A v overpriced room, luckily it was for a fantastic occasion.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank loubWestYorkshire
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 21 February 2009

As a regular visitor on business in the area, I have to say Holdsworth House, is not my first choice. Not that there is anything really wrong, but there is better on offer for the price. Some of my gripes probably wouldn't bother someone who stayed once or twice, but when you stay regularly, on your own, you notice things, and when the same thing happens again and again........
Firstly, on arrival, I agree with other reviewers, I don't expect to pay up front for my room. Not very welcoming. When asked why, I got a mumbled explanation of it being "policy". The offer of a free glass of wine is a nice touch that goes some way to make amends, but several times it's been forgotten.
The rooms are nice, if a little dated. Refurbishment is underway, and flat screen TV's are on the way. Beds are excellent,and the rooms are very quiet - two important points for me. Desks are small, and barely useable, and this takes me on to my main complaint - £15 for 24hrs internet access is very poor value. Others are offering 2 hours for a nominal charge, or increasingly, free of charge.
The main draw for Holdsworth House is the food, and rightly so. For a single business person travelling alone, just wanting something to eat without the full restaurant experience, the only alternative was Room Service. The new Bar Menu is therefore welcome, albeit not particularly good value for money. If you are after the "Restaurant Experience", then full marks for the restaurant (check the website photo's). The food is very good, but the service can be slow.
Another issue regarding service, perhaps not what you would expect reading some of the other reviews, but if you just want to sit in the bar and have a drink, it can be very frustrating as you have to catch the eye of the staff taking restaurant orders as they go by. Once there are no more diners waiting, I have had to walk in to the restaurant to find someone, several times I have had to go through to reception.
Lots of these issues can easily be rectified, and I hope that they are. Increasingly people will be questioning the sort of spend that Holdsworth is dependent on, I feel that the Hotel needs to adapt and move on. Too much of the emphasis is on the restaurant, and weddings. I don't feel that the place needs to move down market, just do what it does, better - and offer greater value for money. If it does that, then it will become my first choice.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank deltagolf
Derby
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We only stayed for one night on Valentine's Day. I wouldn't spend a week there but it was OK to chill out. The Hotel itself was very nice, exactly what is on the hotel's website. The location was OK but not much to do if you were staying for more than one night. There is a few pubs in walking distance if you don't want to stay in the hotel. We were greeted by a helpful receptionist. The room was cosy but everything was in working order. The best part of the room was the bed, very very comfortable. We had dinner in the restaurant, which was a set menu for V's Day. The only down-side was that our table was our table in was booked for 9pm. We were shown to the bar when we went down for dinner and given a glass of champagne. We had to ask to be seated at the table, got asked twice what we wanted for the main course and never got the jug of water. We sat down to eat at 9:45pm and ate at about 10:10pm. This doesn't sound too bad but we were having a five course meal! It was nearly midnight by the time we had finished. The food was really nice when we got it. Be careful when driving to the hotel, espcially if you are following the sat. nav., we nearly ended up going on rough, narrow roads that were covered in ice and had a vertical drop at the end of it.

• Liked — The comfy bed and the food.
  • Disliked — The restaurant service and location
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank lollypoppa
west yorkshire
Reviewed 12 February 2009

Living near halifax and knowing of holdsworth house,i tend to take it for granted and not to visit too frequently;particularly not staying overnight. However i recently attended a wedding there-as it is known as the premier location locally-and took the opportunity to stay over. the setting is just ideal for a wedding or quiet break with the 300+year old building as a backdrop-looks lovely floodlit when entering via the front walkway. the food and service were excellent and when the fun subsided i retired to my individually furnished room for a very peaceful nights sleep.
although not far from home i felt in another world and would certainly recommend the hotel as the best place to stay in the district if travelling from away.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank andrew44
London
Reviewed 9 February 2009

I recently stayed at Holdsworth and it was idyllic. I was only there for a weekend but I wanted to stay a week. This was because of the friendly staff, comfortable rooms and, most importantly for me, delicious food. I was initially concerned about the location, but was equally delighted when it not only transpired how lovely the house and gardens are but also how close the Yorkshire Moors are - a short drive and we were able to go for a lovely long walk and then back to the hotel bar and restaurant for a relaxing evening. I would recommend this place to anyone, it's a wonderful family hotel!

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank Tobias25
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2008

I have visited Holdsworth House on business regularly over the past 3 years and love its character, good-home-from-good-home feeling, service from friendly well trained staff, and excellent food at sensible prices. The new bar menu offer gives an even wider choice when one doesn't want fine dining.
The listed Jacobean manor house is a real oasis within this industrial city. Bedrooms are in a more modern extension - whilst not huge they are really thoughtfully decorated and equipped, and always well maintained. I understand they are done by an owner who really cares about the little touches that make a home-from-home.
Is this really the same Holdsworthas the "dreadful" review below? I think they must have had some other problem of their own! There's nothing motel or bedsit about this hotel!

• Liked — Character, service and comfort
  • Disliked — Would be good to have free internet access
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halifax
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
#1 of 1 in Hebden Bridge
Waterton Park Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton

Been to Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!