We stayed here on a Saturday and Sunday night. We stayed at the hotel some years ago and it was excellent. Now it is not. When we arrived we had to wait while the receptionist fed sweets to small children sitting in the office. We were then given the keys to room 15. It smelled very musty and damp, and was a bit worn. We were surprised that the bathroom did not have a bath, just a shower cubicle. There were three desk drawers for storage and a small Very smelly built-in cupboard. It was a very small double room (we found out later it was originally a single room).
There was a wedding on.........see other reviews, but we confirm the nightmare in service, inability to get a drink......and the people talking in the corridor at 4am......and the lady on her mobile at 5:15am.
We were looking forward to dinner (2 AA rosettes). We picked the wine from the list in our room. We got another one.....they didn't do the one on the room list(?). We declined it and ordered a bottle of white wine. It arrived, was opened with due ceremony, poured to taste.....only to discover it was warm. On being told, the waitress said, and I quote "we didn't have any in the fridge so I got one from the shelf". We asked for another type of wine, as long as it was cold. She returned with a chilled bottle of the same type as our first bottle, just a year older........and £6.50 cheaper.
The food? The hot pasta starter was cold, one main course was overcooked, the other copiously dosed with cumin. The cheese was excellent. We were then charged for the bottle of wine we had......and the warm one.
We had great expectations of the full breakfast, which is an extra. We ordered smoked salmon and scrambled egg. We knew we were in trouble when the waitress approached holding the plates in a cloth. Bubbling smoked salmon, rubber egg.
Monday breakfast buffet was for dieters........various menu/displayed items were missing or poor.
Did we complain? At the time of each incident and in our feedback questionnaire. On each occasion, we received an apology but no offer to remedy or correct. After I stood in the middle of the restuarant and "discussed" our bill, the poor waiter I caught waived the charge for both bottles of wine.
We received a prompt reply to our questionnaire saying that the hotel was full because there was a wedding on(really?!) and we couldn't have another room (it was empty on the Sunday night)and thanking us for bringing some training issues to their attention. They looked forward to seeing us again.
It wasn't just us.....an elderly couple who checked out after us were asked if they had a nice stay. They said "not really".....and the receptionist ignored the comment!! The couple said also that they felt that it should have been made clear that there was no lunch service on Saturdays or Sundays. The reply " we have weddings at weekends and are too busy".
There's more money in Weddings than in weekend guests, so go in the week if you want to.......you might get a decent room, some service and attention. Don't go at the weekend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Halifax's only four-star hotel is now listed in the 2013 Michelin Guide along with the country's elite hotels & restaurants. Holdsworth House is a beautiful Jacobean manor built in 1633, which has been owned and run by the Pearson family for 50 years. The manor stands in stunning, secluded gardens and is just three miles north of Halifax. It feels a world apart from the bustle of everyday life and is a perfect choice for accommodation, weddings and conferences. In this beautiful old house you'll find open fires, cosy lounges, fine antiques and tapestries that create a sense of history and comfort. The 39 charming bedrooms are all ensuite and have all been individually furnished. Dinner is served by candlelight in the 17th Century, oak-paneled 2 AA Rosette-winning restaurant whilst the Long Bar has a simpler brasserie style menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holdsworth House Hotel And Restaurant
- Holdsworth Hotel Halifax
- Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant Halifax, West Yorkshire