“Don't stay at the weekend”

Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Poole, United Kingdom
“Don't stay at the weekend”
Reviewed 2 March 2007

We stayed here on a Saturday and Sunday night. We stayed at the hotel some years ago and it was excellent. Now it is not. When we arrived we had to wait while the receptionist fed sweets to small children sitting in the office. We were then given the keys to room 15. It smelled very musty and damp, and was a bit worn. We were surprised that the bathroom did not have a bath, just a shower cubicle. There were three desk drawers for storage and a small Very smelly built-in cupboard. It was a very small double room (we found out later it was originally a single room).

There was a wedding on.........see other reviews, but we confirm the nightmare in service, inability to get a drink......and the people talking in the corridor at 4am......and the lady on her mobile at 5:15am.

We were looking forward to dinner (2 AA rosettes). We picked the wine from the list in our room. We got another one.....they didn't do the one on the room list(?). We declined it and ordered a bottle of white wine. It arrived, was opened with due ceremony, poured to taste.....only to discover it was warm. On being told, the waitress said, and I quote "we didn't have any in the fridge so I got one from the shelf". We asked for another type of wine, as long as it was cold. She returned with a chilled bottle of the same type as our first bottle, just a year older........and £6.50 cheaper.

The food? The hot pasta starter was cold, one main course was overcooked, the other copiously dosed with cumin. The cheese was excellent. We were then charged for the bottle of wine we had......and the warm one.

We had great expectations of the full breakfast, which is an extra. We ordered smoked salmon and scrambled egg. We knew we were in trouble when the waitress approached holding the plates in a cloth. Bubbling smoked salmon, rubber egg.

Monday breakfast buffet was for dieters........various menu/displayed items were missing or poor.

Did we complain? At the time of each incident and in our feedback questionnaire. On each occasion, we received an apology but no offer to remedy or correct. After I stood in the middle of the restuarant and "discussed" our bill, the poor waiter I caught waived the charge for both bottles of wine.

We received a prompt reply to our questionnaire saying that the hotel was full because there was a wedding on(really?!) and we couldn't have another room (it was empty on the Sunday night)and thanking us for bringing some training issues to their attention. They looked forward to seeing us again.

It wasn't just us.....an elderly couple who checked out after us were asked if they had a nice stay. They said "not really".....and the receptionist ignored the comment!! The couple said also that they felt that it should have been made clear that there was no lunch service on Saturdays or Sundays. The reply " we have weddings at weekends and are too busy".

Summary
There's more money in Weddings than in weekend guests, so go in the week if you want to.......you might get a decent room, some service and attention. Don't go at the weekend.

• Liked — Public areas are well done in line with age of original building
  • Disliked — See review!
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Dorsetblue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
London
Reviewed 6 November 2006

My boyfriend and I have just returned from the most wonderfully romantic weekend break at Holdsworth House.

From the minute we arrived at this beautiful hotel we felt incredibly welcome. Our room was lovely and cosy, with a four poster bed. The main house is simply stunning with beautiful wooden panelling and open fires. Perfect for these colder winter months.

We decided to stay for dinner on the Friday night and all our courses were superb - we hadn't planned to on Saturday but dinner was so good the night before we couldn't resist!

The staff were warm and friendly and made the weekend very special for us.

Thank you!

Stayed November 2006
Henley-on-Thames, England.
Reviewed 31 October 2006

After twenty years as a customer, you'd expect to be treated as a friend, but it was just the same the first time I checked in; great rooms and dining, but it's their nothing-too-much-trouble service that's unique - I put it down to the fact that despite all their success and awards, it's still family-run.

• Liked — Rooms, Food and Friendliness
  • Disliked — Typical mixed Yorkshire weather!
  • Stayed May 2005, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank clivelimpkin
London
Reviewed 26 September 2006

We were really pleased to find this wonderful hotel in Halifax whilst visiting relatives in Yorkshire. From the moment we walked through the door the friendly staff made us feel very welcome. The old house is splendid and as the weather was good we were able to sit in the very pretty garden. Dinner was excellent and I can honestly say breakfast was one of the best I have had in any hotel. The bedrooms are not very big but so well furnished with books and nice toiletries. This may not be the prettiest part of Yorkshire but you certainly get value for money., they charged £170 for 2 people for dinner, bed and breakfast. We can highly recommend it.

• Liked — The old building was very beautiful and the staff were excellent
  • Disliked — The bathroom was a bit small
  • Tips/Secrets — It came as a surprise to find such a good hotel in that part of Yorkshire
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
Shepperton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2006

We booked 2 adjoining rooms for us and our children as we were attending a wedding. Both rooms were small with connecting doors held open by large chairs so difficult to manouvre through.

Wedding was good and service & food was to good standard.
Unfortunately, my wife left her handbag in the function room and although it was handed in to reception, it was given out to someone else! The attitude of the staff left us with the impression that it was our fault! Also my daughter left her camera in the room and this was never found.

Despite numerous phone calls to hotel - no one called back - as Duty Manager was "never available".

I also agree with previous reviewer £100 per night and then ask for another £5 each for a cooked breakfast is extortion.

• Liked — Building and Gardens
  • Disliked — Tired and old Fashioned
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank Bob_Parr1
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2006

Our wedding took place on the 31st March 2006 at Holdsworth house.
It was perfect in every way!

The staff were brilliant and they all went above and beyond for my husband and myself .

Every thing was co-ordinated wonderfully.
The food was fantastic, they even provided at the last minute two different meals for two of our guests that couldnt eat what was being served.

The grounds were beautiful - The resident DJ that we used was also great.

I would reccomend to any one to get married here!

• Stayed March 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Halifax, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 21 July 2006

Planning a romantic getaway?? Then don't stay at Holdsworth House Hotel...I booked my finacee and I in one Friday evening in June 06 and we had a terrible time. A wedding reception was booked in on the same evening, we thought ok not a problem...but how wrong we were.

On arrival, the receptionist was rather less than welcoming but having being advised we were staying in an Executive Room I chose not to comment and risk getting our stay off to a bad start. Having passed through the halls where the sad remains of samosas and other half eaten deities had been abandoned, some on the carpet, we checked in to, a rather tired bedroom. I tried to put my bedside lamp on but the bulb was out. I contacted the reception and asked politely if somebody could come upstairs and change it, to be told, ‘I'll see what I can do but we do have a wedding on’. For a single night’s stay at over £200, I was absolutely shocked at this response.

Dinner didn't improve, our waiter dropped my used soup spoon, a bread roll and even a dirty knife. The starters were fine but no sooner had I placed my soup spoon on my plate than it was taken away and the main course appeared in its place, barely time to notice the change. Our waiter didn't ask us if we’d like to try our wine let alone pour it for us, which we did ourselves eventually.

We decided on tea upstairs in our room, but our relaxing evening didn't improve. At 12.40pm I was still unable to sleep due to the foul language and noise emanating from the car park below. Not very romantic!

Breakfast sadly was no better, we arrived in the dining room approx. 9.30am to find most tables still to be cleared and none set up ready to occupy. We were seated at a dirty table that was eventually set up in front of us, no coffee cups, no teaspoons, we had to request even the simplest of items.

What a shame, we travel a fair amount as I work in the industry and for all the praise and awards this hotel boasts we were so disappointed. It isn't cheap either, I say save your hard earned cash and stay elsewhere.

Stayed June 2006
4 Thank Hols500
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halifax
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
#1 of 1 in Gildersome
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton

Been to Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!