“A real find”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Guildford, United Kingdom
“A real find”
Reviewed 19 November 2010

Stayed here recently and can only say good things about the place. Great welcome from reception and an excellent meal in the bar. We all hope this kind of hotel exists and very pleasing to find it does. Got a good rate on their website.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Stayed at Holdsworth House with colleagues in the first week of November. Real nice country House, lots of character and real warm feel to the building with its small fire lit rooms.

Not the best of locations, surrounded by an industrial area (and a nightmare road to get there), but can't fault the grounds which were clearly very well looked after.

The restaurant we dined in on the evening was super, next to the much needed fire, the food & service was exceptional. Certainly one of the best food offerings in Yorkshire.

Would recommend

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a very nice break. We had one of the suites with the upstairs room which gave you a bit more room - lounge area with settee and 22"lcd tv, and a mezzanine floor with bed and 2nd Tv upstairs. Nice breakfast in lovely oak panelled dining room, and an oak panelled bar lounge with a big log effect fire and cosy seats. We dined out at the Il Gusto italian restaurant about 5 minutes drive away in halifax town centre and had a fantastic 2 course italian meal with wine for £8.99 each.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Have to admit I wasn’t looking forward to spending a couple of nights
in Halifax. The drive there didn’t do much to raise my sprits either.
When I eventually pulled off the M62 and made my way to my hotel I was
getting more and more apprehensive. I began thinking of illnesses I
could fake that would prevent me from attending the conference but
leave me well enough to turn around and drive home.

I was still lost in my thoughts as the Sat-Nav guided me into the
hotel drive. Within moments I’d forgotten where I was, what a stunning
building! And things just kept getting better. Met with a glass of
wine and shown to my room by incredibly friendly, but not overly so,
staff. A quick shower to wash away the road, relaxed in front of the
flat screen on big comfy bed in my well proportioned room.

Then to dinner, absolutely delicious. Great service, wonderful menu
and a truly relaxed old world atmosphere in a beautiful wood-panelled
dining room.

Breakfast was just as good as dinner. I found myself sitting though
the conference just waiting to get back to the hotel and planning what
I was going to have for dinner! Not something that I usually do when
staying a travel-lodge!

Next time there’s a conference in Halifax I know who’s going to be the
first to volunteer..

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Its very good by Halifax standards, but mediocre by global hotel standards. Still your alternative options are some dodgy looking places in Halifax (the sort of places you need one of those alarmed hotel security door stops), a run-down Holiday Inn on the way to Leeds, or below-average hotels that are 30 minute taxi rides away in nearby towns.

If you have to go to Halifax on business then this is the best place to say, it has some character and the rooms are nice - just don't expect the Intercontinental! The hotel restaurant is actually pretty good, and would be acceptable in London.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Snobs_Travel
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We attended a wedding at Holdsworth House in September & stayed over in the hotel on the night. A terrific wedding venue was made simply pefect by the friendly, attentive staff working on the day.

As previous reviewers have commented the gardens are delightful & we left with some great pictures and memories. The food during the meal was excellent & the buffet on the evening much needed after a day of drinking! We must thank the staff on the bar who stayed open till 5am so the more rowdy of us could continue drinking!

The room was great, with a very comfy bed (which made us sleep in!!), but even though we missed the breakfast cut off time the breakfast staff let us grab a bite to eat before our long journey home.

Overall a great day enjoyed by everyone, thank you Holdsworth House :)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2010

My boyfriend and I returned to the hotel for one night in September, having been to the hotel for a meal earlier in the year.
The food was exceptional; perfectly cooked and presented. The best restaurant meal I have ever had!
The staff we spoke to were friendly and welcoming, the lady on the bar even lent my boyfriend her own lighter when he had forgotten his own, which was kind.
The grounds are stunning and the room was so lovely with a big comfy bed. We have since been telling all our friends about the great time we had.
I would definately recommend this wonderful hotel to others, it is worth going even just for a meal.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halifax
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,493 reviews

Been to Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!