“Weekend stay”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Weekend stay”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We booked via Living Social 2 night (Sat & Sun) B & B deal in early September and found hotel very central with comfortable rooms, as said by other reviewers the hotel is a bit dated but rooms were clean and we found beds and linen ok, staff were very friendly and very helpful. The breakfast was standard English with cereals and toast with fruit juices and if you wanted something other like porridge or omellettes all you did was asked and they would oblige if they could and there was plenty to fill us.The only downside was we came back after 11-30 on both nights to find the front door was locked and you had to ring the bell or ring a mobile number to gain entry which we found rather unusual to say the least and also there was nobody in the bar fo a nightcap !! but it was an enjoyable weekend and we would go back.
By the way we never heard any noise through the night and had 2 nights good sleep, then again it could have been the alcohol ?

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
JohnMasonHalifax, General Manager at The Imperial Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear Reviewer,
I do appreciate these very helpful comments following your short stay at the Imperial Crown Hotel, Halifax.
I have taken the liberty of sharing your kind remarks with my team but at the same time, of course, have highlighted the difficulty you experienced on returning to hotel at night. Needless to say, this shortcoming has now been rectified.
Once again, thank you.
With best regards,
John Mason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed here on the 9th and 10th September. A review by ElisaC 1982 states that she had a view of a brick wall, she was lucky, we had no view as the very small toilet size window was frosted. We didnt complain as I thought at the time the hotel must be full as this would be the last room they would have used. The room was small, clean and comfortable. The bedding was clean and the pillows were new. The towels were large and fluffy. At breakfast there was plenty of choice of food, everyone would have found something they liked. We did stay to have a snack on one evening but had to wait 40mins before we had our food. We did feel justified in complaining as no- one else had placed an order, there was only 1 other couple in the lounge who had yet to order. We had ordered a sandwich and a burger, we were told that the burger was freshly made to order. We were so happy the place wasnt busy we would have starved. We had purchaced a voucher for the stay and would have insisted another room if we had paid full price. I must make a point of stating the staff were all very friendly and proffesional and the hotel is central to all local attractions.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not stay in room 117
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting your helpful comments on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to the Imperial Crown Hotel. I was extremely sorry to learn of the disappointment you experienced with your allocated bedroom 117, specifically the small window. The Imperial Crown is a typical old town centre hotel which was originally a coaching inn where no two rooms are alike. The hotel was indeed busy with all the double-bedded rooms being occupied on that occasion. Nevertheless, I regret that neither my duty manager nor I were given the opportunity to attempt to provide some resolution to your unsatisfactory room allocation.

The hotel’s popular restaurant normally does not draw adverse comment so I have shared your observations concerning the slow delivery of your order with the Head Chef who has personally reviewed the operation of the restaurant service and, hopefully, corrected all processes which may have caused the delay.

On a positive note, your extremely kind comments about other aspects of the hotel, including the cleanliness, the breakfast and the friendly, professional staff, were very much appreciated.

With best regards
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed here on a voucher and were pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfasts were SUPERB!! Some odd things, though. The bedroom had the most uncomfortable chairs I think I have ever sat on. The room had no clock, there may have been radio available on the TV, but there were no instructions so I spent some time trying to find a radio setting, but couldn't. We were on the top floor, and there was no lift which was a bit of a surprise. The room was a bit noisy. It was warm when we were there so we had the windows open at night, and it was a bit noisy - but then this is a town centre hotel and it's alongside a busy set of traffic lights and directly opposite the station, so it was bound to be somewhat noisy. Bear in mind that my review is based on a voucher price, having looked at their normal prices I would go somewhere else if I was looking for a hotel for a quiet break! The hotel is good and central for several of the 'Halifax attractions'.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Geffers1944
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post your comments above... following your vist to the Imperial Crown Hotel, Halifax.
I have taken careful note of all the points you raised and can advise you that, where possible. I have remedied them.
Your generous remarks about other aspects of your stay including the friendliness of the staff were appreciated and have been shared with those employees concerned.
With best regards,
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in the middle of August and would prefer not to again!!
Our room was a small double with views of a brick wall and taxi company from which came the most awful noises at all hours of the night and this was on a Thursday so we were not looking forward to what it was going to be like at the weekend! We requested to change rooms first thing the next morning but were told we couldn't as there was a wedding going on (something that we weren't told when we booked).
The main light in the room went on our first night also and we informed the staff the next morning - it was not fixed whilst we were there.
The TV was fixed so close to the wardrobe that you couldn't open the doors properly for fear of damaging the telly.
The bathroom hasn't been updated since the 80s with a grey suite with a towel rail the only storage so trying to balance your electric toothbrush and toothpaste was a joke. There was no bath, only a shower (although the sign in the room said to 'leave your towels in the bath' - it's little things that you notice). The shower was very small and a shower curtain which constantly gets in the way, and again, no storage to put your shampoo etc on which made things very tricky.
The restaurant was adequate although a little pricey but you had to be prepared to wait for a long time to get your food. The bar staff were pleasant but quite stressed - especially when the wedding was on. We went for food at around 9.30pm on this night and it felt a bit like walking on egg shells when you were around the staff for fear of them getting too stressed and having some sort of breakdown! Considering there were signs outside and inside the hotel about having your wedding celebrations there I expected them to be able to cope better.
The whole hotel was sooooo hot as well which also made it difficult to sleep.
The location of the hotel is ideal. Right opposite the train station and in easy walking distance from the town centre but that is the best thing it has going for it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
JohnMasonHalifax, General Manager at The Imperial Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting your helpful comments on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to the Imperial Crown Hotel. I was extremely sorry to learn of the disappointment you experienced and regret that neither my duty manager nor I were given the opportunity to resolve the problems for you during your stay. Nevertheless, I have spoken at length with the relevant members of my management team and I assure you that we have all taken your comments very seriously indeed.

It is regretted that you found the size of your bedroom combined with limited bathroom facilities (in this typical town centre hotel which was originally a coaching inn) inadequate. Furthermore there can be no excuse for the reported unacceptable noise levels emanating from the adjacent taxi rank office whose occupants have, of course, now been reprimanded. Likewise, the failure to replace a light bulb promptly has drawn disciplinary action for the departmental manager responsible.

The hotel’s popular restaurant normally does not draw adverse comment so I have shared your observations regarding your dining displeasure with the Head Chef who will personally review those specific comments and address accordingly. Likewise, all the restaurant and bar service staff, having been interrogated, have asked that I correct the perception that they were stressed or nervous during your stay.

Although I cannot turn back the clock to put things right, I do hope you may take some consolation from knowing that the issues you raised have been investigated and measures have been taken to ensure that future guests are not similarly disappointed.

Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to bring these matters to my attention. Often it is only when concerned guests such as yourself identify our shortcomings that management is able to maintain, and hopefully improve, standards.

With best regards
John
South Wales
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Stayed here while visiting family in Halifax. It is right in the heart of Halifax opposite the train station and in waking distance to Piece Hall market and the town centre. The staff are all really lovely, the rooms are a little dated but clean and comfy. The hotel has a lot of character and charm. Comfortable bar with big screen tv often playing the news or sport. I really loved the hotel and will definitely book again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer,
Thank you very much for your kind remarks.
My team and I are delighted that you continue to enjoy your stays at the Imperial Crown Hotel and look forward to you next visit.
It is always rewarding when descerning clients express themselves so helpfully because it enables management to verify standards and, hopefully, carry on providing a quality experience albeit at a budget price.
With kind regards,
John
Lancs
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This is the first time I have ever written a 'bad' review for any of the many hotels I have stayed in!! This 'hotel' has to be the worst in the uk!! On arrival, the room we were given smelled of pee!! and looked liked it hadn't been aired since 1940!! The staff at reception seemed sooooo surprised when we told them this, without any apology we were given 'another' room!! Even worse!!! The rooms windows were covered over with plastic!!! The windows wouldn't/couldn't stay open the linings of the curtains were ripped, the carpet was stained the mattress under the bedding was stained and again the room smelled!!!!! We gave it our best shot but by 8pm we told the surprised receptionist that we were checking OUT!! She didn't asked or care why she just stood there like a wax dummy!!! PLEASE don't even bother looking at this 'hotel' and don't EVER stay!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :(

Room Tip: The rooms look like they haven't been used since 1940!!!! Terrible!! Smelly!!
1 Thank a_bleackley
Thank you very much for allowing me to investigate your complaint and I now can say how sorry I was to learn of the disappointment you experienced.
Notwithstanding, I feel no purpose will be served by even beginning to justify why the hotel should have fallen so short of your expectations. Clearly, however, I fully appreciate that this was the case and I can but offer my most sincere apologies, on behalf of the Imperial Crown Hotel, for the annoyance you have been caused.
With this in mind, and as a gesture of goodwill, I have instructed my accounts department not to
require payment from Gumtree for your booking.
Thank you again for bringing these matters to my attention.
York
Reviewed 26 August 2012

.........for whom we booked this break as she is undergoing a difficult pregnancy and needed a rest.
I booked it through LivingSocial so it was cheap - she went with her partner.
She said that the hotel is in a great position and the staff are brilliant and friendly. They had a lovely breakfast BUT only stayed one night instead of two for 2 reasons.
The room was too small and warm (the windows hardly opened) and the bed was uncomfortable.
I asked why she did't ask for a move but, as I've said, she's pregnant and I think she just wanted tio get back to her own bed!
I will go myself one day to give my opinion.

1 Thank smithyYork