“Brilliant Staff night out” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Shoulder of Mutton
Ranked #217 of 292 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
Description: Beautifully situated in Shelf, the Shoulder of Mutton is an iconic pub serving great food, with a sunny beer garden and a warm & comfortable interior. The team strive to create and environment that everyone can enjoy and their aim is to keep up to date with current trends with food and drink. All food is prepared freshly on the premises, using only the very freshest, locally sourced ingredients. A warm welcome awaits you from Luke , Stacey and team at the Shoulder of Mutton.
Halifax
“Brilliant Staff night out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I attended a staff night out at the Shelf Shoulder of a Mutton recently. The staff were very gracious of the group arriving reasonably late in the night and greeted us with smiles. The selection of ales and bottled drinks were brilliant, all reasonably priced! Everyone attending the night had a great time as the pub has a pool table, a wii console set up and also provided a DJ who was happy to take requests. Overall the staff were extremely polite, friendly and courteous, I would recommend this pub to groups looking for a fun night in a lovely pub.

2 Thank Jboo19

Wakefield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food in a great yorkshire pub.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Went recently on a works night out as original venue let me down. Great food and service really nice atmosphere and music. Highly recommend it .

1 Thank sjluz
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Disgusting Food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Me and my friend ordered food at this pub. I ordered Chilli ,rice and Garlic Bread. My friend ordered Ham, Chips and Eggs. When the meals were served it was extremely over cooked, infact it looked like left overs that had been there all day. The rice was like pellets and I asked for it to be changed, I was offered chips with the chilli instead which I said ok. When he took the meal away he dropped the garlic bread on the floor. When it arrived for the second time the chips were that badly burnt they snapped in half and who know s if the garlic bread was changed. I complained and told him I couldn't eat any of this was never offered anything else just said he would knock it of the bill ,I laughed at this and said I wouldn't be paying for it anyway,
My friend said her meal she has never seen ham like that before, say no more.
We were offered a discount of 25 per cent of the next meal we said if you offered 75 we wouldn't come back. The pub is dirty and needs a good refurb and a good chef if you want your customers to return. Its a shame because it was a really nice pub a few years ago .
No wonder your always empty now we know why

3 Thank cubaluba
“Heinz tomatoe soup not home made”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We had tea here this evening, we used to come here often but have not been for a while would not go again . The soup was advertised as home made tomatoe and parsley. It was Heinz in a tin. Gaelic mushroom ok but lots of black pepper. Home made chips warmed up .. Sorry don't go .

2 Thank Dianeyorkshir
Bradford
“Sunday meal with friends!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Where do I start! Hardly anything left on the menu to order, and it was only 5.10pm! What did get served, was extremely late (3 hours from starters to desert) over cooked, un boned fish, extremely tough sirloin and mutton. Hairs in my daughters main course.

Food served without the right sauces from the menu (they said they ran out) a total embarrassment, from a poorly run kitchen with a poor quality chef.

This is before the bill came, where they tried to charge for all the courses they couldn't serve as they had run out, including drinks we hadn't had, and it wasn't even busy!

After showing them the bill, they did remove over £45 for meals we never had.

Lesson learned. It looks nice from the outside, the pub is ok, but I would not encourage anyone to eat a meal there unless it's crisps behind the bar!

2 Thank Christopher S