“Ok, probably wouldn't stay again.”

The Old Post Office
Ranked #12 of 15 Halifax B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Basic accommodation, if you have trouble with stairs this place may trouble you up to the first floor. The stair are fine until the last few steps then they get narrow and steeper. The room was clean, lino flooring I was about the bar area so noise was there but not that bad, as long as the windows were closed. Didn't eat there. Staff were really friendly, no problems with them. Didn't have a drink in the bar as I was shattered. All in all wouldn't book again other than for the reason of it being well priced.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Gregg W

Reviewed 23 May 2013

i have stayed here a few times and to begin with i thought it was a great find but the more often i have stayed the worse it has become. Firstly it is not a B&B but a number of rooms next to a pub. There is no breakfast and no one is available if the pub is not open.

The rooms have been done up to a decent standard and the despite being on a road it is quiet and a good location for Halifax.

Some of the rooms have had a few teething problems - hot water and heating not working and the beds are a bit spongy but on the whole they are ok for the price.

The biggest issue is NOISE. As they expand and do more rooms the insulation between rooms is non existent so u can hear the upstairs person going to the toilet etc. Also the front door cannot be shut quietly so last in and first out will wake the whole place up and i mean everyone regardless of what room you are in.

Then there is the pub. Quite nice and quiet but then they just play music at random times and have midweek late parties. You cannot offer accommodation and then play music until 2am!!! If you have kids etc do not stay here (although family rooms are a good size). If you are happy to stay in pub until it shuts you might enjoy it.

With Premier Inn recently opening and doing the same, but better and cheaper

Room Tip: ask when the pub will shut - this is imperative if u want a good nights sleep. I have been then when...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank pat k
Reviewed 4 May 2013

After reading the reviews I expected better. ( unbeknown to us and not influenced in the price we paid) The place was under going renovations so maybe just a bad time to stay but the workmanship was really shoddy and the shower was almost hanging off the wall, the radiator was leaking (they did change our room when told them) we where woken at 8.30am by construction work going on above. For the price we paid I think next time we are in the area we will just stay at a chain hotel as at least you know what your getting.
Take away the fact construction was going, on then I would have to say the rooms are cramped and and there was mold around the window. This place would probably be better suited to contractors more than couples and families. We would not stay again and would not recommend to friends or family.

Positives to this place:
The pub down stairs was a nice place to have a drink and the bar staff are really nice and made the stay much nicer.
Its pretty central and still not to noisy outside.

Room Tip: Double check no construction or renovations are going on.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Ups:

The location is perfect for visiting or working in Halifax, 5 minute walk to all of the shops, bars and restaurants and there's not a bad selection!

The bar staff are so friendly, made us feel really welcome, chatting away and interested in us and why were in Halifax!

The Thai food, absolutely amazing! Paj is a legend! Probably the best Thai food we've ever had. She even made a child friendly stir fry for our daughter!

The price, can't beat 60 a night for a room!

The downs:

The beds and bedding weren't the best, the bed was lumpy and the quilt cover was too big for the quilt so not very comfy!

The radiator in our room kept making a clanging noise and we had to get out of bed and turn it off

The restoration work was disruptive on a Saturday morning before 9am, loud music and banging .

Overall we enjoyed our stay though

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank sarahw81
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Never stayed in the Old Post Office but had many drinks there, everyone is friendly and all the barmaids are gorgoeus especially Fran who loves a jaeger bomber and her friends also,so if your in the area pop in you will have fun.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank POMPEYGEEZER
Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst working on a restaurant in the town centre. The guest house is within reach of the train station and minutes from the city centre.

The bar is friendly and I was warmly welcomed by the landlord/owner and barstaff.

My only criticisms- although they shouldn't detract- was that my room wasn't cleaned after my first night (i stayed 2 nights). My cup still had coffee in it from when I left for work and my bag of rubbish had not been cleared. Also, the microwave (which was hidden away in the wardrobe) wasn't very clean at all. I used the microwave as I'm on a budget and bought some food from Sainsburys (practically next door) and needed to warm it.

Overall, It's a very convenient & friendly place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank englishpunk
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Single woman staying by herself. Couldn't have been made more welcome. Staff very friendly and the locals too! The room was lovely and warm, and the tea and coffee making facilities very handy. Had a Thai meal on the second evening of my stay and it was really good and tasty. They are undergoing a refurb but still the standards were very high. Highly recommended and I will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: I had room 6 which looked out over the main road, but it was fine.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Gill M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halifax
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
#1 of 1 in Sowerby Bridge
The Rock Hotel
The Rock Hotel
#9 of 10 in Halifax

Been to The Old Post Office? Share your experiences!