“Lovely food”

Inn Cognito
Ranked #155 of 298 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Italian, Mexican, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Shrewsbury UK
“Lovely food”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Visited last Saturday night as part of a party of 20 – which is probably half the seats of the place in one go.

Cons:
Décor has seen better days, Beer selection was terrible – only Carling on draft

Pros:
Warm friendly welcome. Really good menu – but perhaps too many choices for size of kitchen. Trying to be everything for everyone does not always work and leads to a lot of "from the freezer" solutions. That said my starter was very unique, homemade and very nice I chose the corned beef hash on black pudding with a poached egg on top. I also has an amazing Sirloin steak Rossini, OK I know purists say it has to be filet for Rossini and given there were 20 of us at once, I was not expecting too much – . My steak was cooked perfectly, with the proper garnish of crouton, chicken liver pate, mushrooms etc… It was good size and quality. Served on a warm plate. By a smiling waitress. As an ex chef I was impressed. the two courses came to about £20 which is good value...

Amongst the rest of the crowd opinions were as divided as the other reviews here. It became obvious that the guy who runs this establishment should stop, step back and rethink his strategy. Just do what you do well and stick with it… Homemade, fresh cooked.
You want find dining this is not the place, you want a large selection for a lot of mixed tastes – then it maybe. Choose carefully and there are some real delights to be had.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Still_living-Life

Rochdale, United Kingdom
“Lovely experience”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and I had a lovely home cooked meal with excellent service. We would certainly recommend Inn Cognito and will be back.

• Visited August 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Poor Value”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Went here on a Thursday evening and we were the only people in all the time we were there. We shared Nachos for starters and as this is a favourite starter of ours we have lots to compare with. It was a child's size portion. For main I had Paella. It was £12.95 so was expecting a decent size portion given that the staple ingredient is rice! My stomach nearly got up and walked out when it saw my main course arrive in a tiny starter type dish. It wasn't even dressed up to make it look bigger! My partner had another favourite of hers, Chimichanga and again with plenty to compare with she said it was very tasteful and not crispy on the outside as it should be. I think the problem with inn-cognito is that it's trying to be all things to all men. It's a Jack of all Trades but definitely a master of none. I agree with other comments that the place looks a little scruffy now and certainly not up to charging big city nicer surroundings prices. It was also cold in there with no heating on - another gripe of mine when eating. Needless to say we won't return.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Javier H
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Stuck in a timewarp....... dreadful, wont be going again... ever”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Oh my goodness me... this sad establishment, has deffo seen better days! Décor drab, dreary, and old fashioned. Toilets, 70's style, in need of total refit. Food, confused, dated and poor quality. We had nachos. They were a plate of mush and cheese. Two pizza's, looked nice, but tasted like cardboard smothered in cheap cheese and meat. Red housewine, cheap and tasteless.

Saturday night, and the place was all but empty... (that should have been a warning sign!)

Sorry but it is completely awful, TIMEWARPED !!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank solotwa
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Best Calzone ever!”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

great food lovely atmosphere good value always consistant and the best calzone pizza I have ever had! Tried many but none come close!

Visited February 2013