“Don't look up”
Review of Halifax Minster

Halifax Minster
Ranked #6 of 41 things to do in Halifax
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed 4 April 2014

All right, it's really St John's, or the Parish Church, don't know where the Minster bit came from (I believe Leeds Parish Church, the blackest hole outside Calcutta, is also a Minster now). But it's a big old church, wide, long, quite low, full of old bench-ends and monuments to local dignitaries, beautiful windows, a regimental chapel. And Old Tristram, the alms-box. For some reason the last time I went there when I tried to take a picture of the old bosses in the ceiling the deputy acting assistant sub-verger told me I couldn't take pictures of the ceiling. Anything else seemed OK though. So as long as you don't look up you should be OK. Maybe you could put mirrors on the toes of your shoes. Interesting grotesques on the outside and good graves in the graveyard too.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband I stopped off in Halifax on our way home to the Midlands and I was intrigued to see a sign for Halifax Minster, not having been aware that there was such a building. I'm so glad we did! It's a smaller Minster than most, so please don't be expecting York, however I actually have to say I prefer it to York Minster. It's black facade is in keeping with the industry of the past and although I have no doubt at some stage it will be cleaned up, it is lovely to see it thus. Inside it is very welcoming and we were greeted by a rather young and enthusiastic cleric. The stained glass is stunning and the interior suitably gothic. The excellent homage to their past regiments and fallen soldiers is humbling and very moving. There are plenty of plaques and stones to be read and wondered over, and the tomb of the archdeacon is a work of art!
I like that they have a donation box, unlike York where you have to pay to enter. It doesn't sit right with me to have to pay to enter a house of God, and I was more than happy to make my donation to the upkeep of this little gem.

5  Thank AlexandraS699
Reviewed 8 March 2014

A lovely anglican minster, so much do see packed into this lovely house of God. Stunning stained glass, a lovely minster.

1  Thank Bazonian
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Don't be put off by the filthy black exterior of this building. Perhaps they have decided that one building in this town should keep the filthy colour of years gone by, whilst all the others have seemingly been blasted back to their Cotswold stone (beige) colour, making the town´s architecture now a delight to view. Inside the church is a wonderful array of memorials and history, so allow a good 40 minutes to view it. My parents married here - alas it all ended acrimoniously 15 years later!.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Well it is a church so you would have to be into churches to enjoy a visit. It was recently elevated in status to a minster and has a regular programme of events throughout the year mainly pertaining to the arts. The architecture however is very interesting and you must not miss the gargoyles on the outside of the building

1  Thank Lorri855