“Terrible everything!”

Ranked #148 of 321 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cooking School Cafe is a lively cafe bar in the centre of Dean Clough Mills, serving up delicious homemade breakfasts, lunches and cakes every day of the week. However, we're a cafe with a difference. Take a look in the kitchen and you'll see our team of young apprentice chefs, learning under the guidance of the professional chefs from The Cooking School at Dean Clough.Because we're training our apprentice chefs to such a high standard, our food is healthy, high quality, locally sourced and affordable. But most importantly, it's homemade from scratch and very, very tasty.
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I've been to this cafe several times purely due to the fact it's next door to my work and the only option sometimes. To say the food is made by apprentice chefs it outprices any other cafe in the area. My food order has been wrong every single time I have been there without fail. Most of the time the food is average at best. My most recent experience was ordering a sandwich order to collect all the bread on all 3 sandwiches was rock hard, the bagel was so hard I literally broke my tooth. The staff are miserable and unhelpful and I've had my last straw with this place and won't be visting again and nor would I reccomend anyone else to!

Matthew B, Manager at The Chefs' School at the Viaduct Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear AC,

Thanks so much for your feedback. The Chefs’ School at the Viaduct Café is a well-respected training ground for young apprentice chefs and is run by myself (Chef Matthew Benson-Smith) and my team of professional chefs from The Cooking School at Dean Clough.

All feedback - good and bad - helps our apprentices’ development, but we are really sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with us. Most customers tells us that our food is better as a result of our apprentices making everything from scratch under the guidance of top chefs. We use good quality, locally-sourced ingredients and work hard to make dishes healthy, tasty and affordable.

Our apprentices have been baking homemade bread and it should be fresh from the oven for you to enjoy. I am so sorry to hear it wasn’t, and I will personally talk to the café team, find out why, and do some extra bread training to make sure it’s perfect. I’ll also sit down with our front-of-house apprentices to make sure that our ordering system is right every time.

We’d love to show you how great our café and our talented apprentices are and to offer an apology in person for your experience earlier this month. If this is something you would be interested in please contact me on matthew@thecookingschool.co.uk

Reviewed 18 August 2013

The food was really good, my husband had the Sunday roast, I had a panini, both were really tasty! The cafe was spacious and clean and the service was very good. The female chef was really helpful and friendly. We highly recommend this cafe!

1  Thank Yorkshiregirl79

Thanks so much for your review and fantastic that you and your husband enjoyed the food and atmosphere! Our Sunday Roasts are a real weekend treat and our apprentices love making them! The meat is locally sourced, our gravy’s the real thing and everything is homemade from scratch. The chef was Caroline, who is a fantastic mentor for our apprentices and we’ll let her know what you said. Thanks again and we hope to see you again in the café soon – we are currently helping the apprentices plan lots of Christmas deliciousness...!