“Stunning ”

128 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 239 helpful votes
“Stunning ”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We regularly take a walk along the canal from Copley to Sowerby Bridge. There is always something of interest to view from the canal side. Wildlife is in abundance, ducks, geese, and the occasional heron can be seen. Well worth a visit.

1 Thank Fueng2768

Halifax, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Lovely place to walk”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great place to walk if you are wanting a general stroll, probably the only place you can walk without hills! Great for kids and bikes

Visited May 2014
Halifax, United Kingdom
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Pleasant walks and a slice of history”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This is one of our local attractions. There is some good level walking on the canal towpath with good scenery as it is set in the valley bottom surrounded by the pennine hills. There are some excellent pubs and eating places within Sowerby Bridge itself which is a busy and thriving small community. The canal itself is surrounded by history it being the former transport route for the barges delivering to the mills during the Industrial revolution. The mills although most now in ruin can be seen along the towpath if you care to walk in any direction. Well worth a visit if you are just a walker or a history buff from outside the area

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Lorri855
Cheshire, United Kingdom
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Sowerby Bridge to Selby 96 locks there and back.”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

With my previous navigational skills gained on the Norfolk Broads, I elected myself as captain, my wife was vice captain and my aunt was chief cook and bottle washer.

The Calder & Hebble Navigation is 21 miles long and finishes at Wakefield there are 27 locks and some flood locks. Every half mile there is a canal side pub serving food too numerous to mention.

We chugged along at 4MPH after a mile we came to our first lock I steered the boat to the canal side to allow my boatmen to run up to the lock so our progress was unimpeded, they did a fine job.

After a couple of miles we came across a pub and had lunch and a couple of beers. after 14 locks I gave my boatmen a rest and we moored up overnight. The narrow boat had a shower and all mod cons,
although the TV had a blanket thrown over it, whilst the girls got showered I went off to find a local newsagent, I did'nt find one but I did find a PYO field of strawberries and raspberries, I thought farmers got up early to milk the cows I suppose 5.0am was too early for them but we did enjoy the fruit.

We continued our journey to Wakefield and after 27 locks I rewarded the girls with a pub lunch The Jolly Sailor Thornes Lane Wharf, Wakefield,
and very nice it was too after an hour of walking around Wakefield we returned to the boat. I had left the boat moored next to an oil bunker
and rather than start the engine and manouvre into position I used a boat hook slipped on the wharf and fell headlong into the water when I
serviced I was covered in black oil the boat was in the middle of the basin my two crew members were on deck doubled up with laughter at my demise, another passing boat retrieved our boat and moored it for us.
My crew members were still weeping with laughter and disappeared behind a building after a few seconds I heard them shout me as I went
around the corner I was met by by a torrent of water from a hosepipe they had found. One of the guys at an industrial unit allowed me to have a hot shower.

This is the end of Part 1 from Sowerby Bridge to Wakefield part two will be through to Selby.

Visited May 2013
Halifax
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Refurbished and Vibrant”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Thirty years ago, this area was dirty, neglected and a place to avoid, but, thanks to the regeneration of the Rochdale Canal and the canal-side buildings, it is now a clean and vibrant area, with bars and restaurants, along with much pleasure traffic using the canal. The restoration has led to the return of much wildlife, which was lost in its industrial heyday. Well worth a visit.

Visited December 2012