“Brilliant place to eat”

Price range: US$7 - US$24
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were visiting the area so we decided to use the groupon deal, didn't know what to expect.....
Well what a lovely surprise! The staff were great really helpful and friendly, it was a sat night and we hadn't booked but they squeezed us in which was kind. The food arrived quick, it was all home cooked and tasted wonderful! I had the potato and leek soup, it was the best I had tasted, we had the steak meal, my partner couldn't get over how yummy the homemade onion rings were! If we lived in the area we would certainly be regular customers. 10/10....perfect. we left full and very happy!

1  Thank heavycat

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This old pub with food is perched on a steep hill with views over Halifax town and obviously has an interesting history. There were only two cars in the car park but the pub was fairly full of drinkers watching the football so it appears to be a " locals" pub. The Sunday menu was very limited (I don't know if it is more extensive during the week) and consisted of four starters and four mains all written on a blackboard or alternatively on a receipt book kept behind the bar and shown to us by the bar man, who was polite and very helpful.

I chose vegetable lasagne because I love veggies and often cook Italian so I expected aubergine, courgettes (and pine nuts on a good day), however, the veg element was tomatoes and a tiny bit of red pepper, change the description to " tomato lasagne" My partner had Hunters chicken which was chicken breast wrapped with bacon and cheese which he enjoyed, both meals were served with a lovely mixed leaf and diced salad with a very pleasant dressing.

My meal, although not as expected tasted lovely and I enjoyed it and the pricing was very reasonable. OK for a quick pub lunch, but, for me, only for a regular visit if I lived down the road. There is a lot of competition in Halifax.

2  Thank missdixon
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Had a lovely big breakfast there this morning. Everything was freshly cooked and served hot, as it should be. The place looked clean and was decorated tastefully. Will definitely go back and would recommend it to friends to go there for breakfast. May be they could go there for for a fab breakfast before heading off into town to do their shopping. Thank you.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I went to this nice little pub restaurant last week using a Tastecard, it was very nice and both me and my friend enjoyed ourselves. I had Black Pudding with Bacon in a wholegrain mustard sauce. For my main I had Lamb Shank with mashed potato, peas and carrots. There was plenty to eat on both items that I had and did taste very nice. There were other guests that we got talking to on Groupon offers and they said they had enjoyed there Steak offer meals. The restaurant could be much better if it had more items on the main menu and a more selective wine list. The wine we had was mediocre and we would have enjoyed a better range of wines to choose from. Overall because we used an offer we were very happy and would return if there were more choices available.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We visited on saturday 26th April.
Bought this steak deal after going for the breakfast deal which was lovely.
The starter was gorgeous. We had the pate...
The main which was the steak deal was just as nice. Proper home cooked food. Proper chips n proper onion rings....Gorgeous.
Friendly staff. The owner is a real nice genuine guy and puts his customers first.
Defiantly worth a visit.