“Won me over”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Bath, United Kingdom
“Won me over”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Booked last minute because my hotel of choice was full, but will definitely be staying here again next time! The location is great for the city centre and railway station, the staff were very friendly, and the room was nicer than expected for the start rating. I even got upgraded to a double, even though I only booked a single for myself. The new Indian in the basement was over priced for the quality of the food, but since it was snowing and I didn't want to go outside, I was grateful for the option. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 29 is on the top floor has a great view of the Halifax Minster, and you don't hear the road...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank mvoneye

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Alexandria, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed in quite a few places last year through work. Most of which were average. This one was very nice, if anything I found it extremely hot overnight. The food and drink was pretty decent quality. The bed was very comfortable. I had a room off the main road but could still hear a little traffic noise so having a room on the main road could be pretty noisy. Best if you're light sleeper ask for a room away from main road.

Overall an above average rating.

Room Tip: Away from the main road would be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gordon M
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We booked this hotel because of its good location to the railway station and easy access to Hebden Bridge. Whilst most of the staff were extremely friendly there were those who were downright rude. A little maintenance in the bedroom would have made so much difference, eg TV control was worn out, lavatory seat broken, door lock iffy, poor lighting. Pizzas in the restaurant were unedible and the restaurant is closed on a Sunday night. We were locked out of the hotel at 8.15pm and had to phone them to gain entry. We most certainly will not be returning nor will we ever recommend this hostelry.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank AUD_555
babyshek, Manager at Wool Merchant Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2015
Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your recent stay at The Wool Merchant Hotel, I am really sorry to know that on this occasion your stay with us was less than satisfactory. My staff and I follow each review and try to improve our services accordingly. We greatly appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience for future guests. We invite you to give us another try and we’ll make sure you have a fantastic experience with us.

We have 55 en-suite bedrooms including Single/Twin/Double/Triple and Luxurious Suites. All these rooms are recently refurbished including new carpet, fresh paint, new duvets, new pillows etc. In addition to this each bedroom has tea/coffee making facilities, mint chocolate, still water bottles and independently controlled heating. Iron/ ironing board, extra pillows, hair drier and extra heater are available at reception.

The hotel is situated within 5 minutes walking distance to town centre, railway station and bus station and offers easy access from M62. We provides FREE onsite car parking facility on first come first serve basis.

The Italian / Mediterranean restaurant serves best freshly prepared food in Halifax. Along with all that you get complimentary full English breakfast of very good quality.

Look forward to welcoming you soon.

Ravi Jain
Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Halifax hotels

Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2012

A great hotel, just outside of Halifax city centre (10 min walk) or £2.80 in a taxi. Was really suprised with standard of the rooms, the free wifi and the price - £40 for a Saturday night including breakfast. Reception staff were really friendly and helpful. Oh and always a bonus free Wifi and free parking. There is a restaurant and bar also attached. Perfect place to stay for a night out in Halifax. I would definatley use this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank UkPeteD
Wesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

Read some of the other reviews of the Wool Merchant and guess I was staying in one of the refurbished rooms. It was clean, light and airy. Breakfast was nothing special, but the biggest stars were the staff who were welcoming and extremely helpful even opening their conference room for a colleague and I to have a short meeting ... several hours after we had checked out.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank helene1000
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I have visited the hotel 4 times in total this year and I now disapointed with the changes..
Breakfast in April was still the cook to order as guests arrived but by August it is what I call a "Plastic breakfast" cooked well in advance and left in hot trays for self service, I never ate breakfast that visit. I did mention that the breakfast was in the hotplates too long to which I was told it was a quick turnover from guests. In the 40 mins I was getting 2 poached eggs (if you could call them that) a few people came to breakfast and none of them ate the breakfast, so they knew that was a lie, the morning workers were in and out by 7:30am and the breakfast left to stagnate for others following.
The breakfast Maid, who like the previous owner prided herself in the personal service
retired because of the lack of personal service and fresh cooked meals.
Now the Bistro going downhill. Firstly I must add the chef's still do produce the excellent meal the hotel and Bistro used to be fame for.
The wine list was excellent with a list of choices from 18 wines. In April I could not get my Amerone, something I had drunk for over 11 years at the bistro, by August They still did not have the Amerone nor any of the other wines on their list, except the Merlot (house wine)
The clientelle in the bistro had gone from busy to hardly anyone. I am not surprised, take away the wine choice and people drift away very quickly.
My last morning at the hotel in early November, because the workers had gone home after friday work so we should get fresh cooked meal. Alas the time it took to cook 2 eggs, they had cooke a few sausage and grilled a tomato. rubbish it was, the sausage was from the previous morning, as I found to my cost later that day when I got home.
I have in previous reviews recomended the hotel yet this review is to suggest to people, that if you want excellent service then do not go to this hotel. Can anyone suggest any other hotel in Halifax for me please, I need to be close to town centre for disabled reasons.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Bill D
Dear Sir

Look forward to welcoming you soon.

Ravi Jain
Operations Manager
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This hotel is good value for money. The rooms are clean and well appointed. Breakfast is good and there is plenty of variety. We also had an evening meal in the restaurant and that was similarly good value and quality. There is a private car park opposite and it is in a quiet town centre location about 5 minutes walk from the railway station. We were each given a free fruit juice on arrival. There are some excellent pubs in the near vicinity. What's not to like?

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple