“Awful experience”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Hampshire
“Awful experience”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

The rooms are not clean, the beds are uncomfortable, no mattress protectors, the towels & bed linen are grey & in need of a change. There is no bath mat so when you step out of the bath or shower the floor is slippery & cold. There is no hair dryer , the furniture is dated not particularly clean. I had to change rooms as the 1st room was cold due to the radiator not working. The 2 nd room was quite shabby & the worst part was the right hand door on the shower cubicle was hanging on by only 1 set of rollers at the top so the door actually hanged away from the shower base, hence I could not close the door, which meant the floor got incredibly wet. Also the1st time I used the shower, the fittings at the bottom of the rod that holds the shower head to the wall fell off, which meant I had to shower holding the shower head. They provide the smallest tube of cheap shower gel. The light above the bed did not work & the paint was peeling off the radiator. There were also cobwebs around the ceiling. Inside the very dated wardrobe there is a green blanket for your use that is so disgustingly dirty it looks like it had once been the
dogs bed. Also in the first room I had the curtains were hanging down obviously from where a hook/s had come off from the curtain pole when you pulled them. There is a kettle which is never emptied, & the base unit was dusty & covered in tea/coffee splashes. The whole interior of this place is in need of a serious makeover & some money spent on it. I feel they cater more for male contract workers who maybe are not so bothered by cleanliness as even the corridors & hallways are in dire need of some decorative restoration. I honestly cannot relate to any of the reviews already on here, as it was on the strength of these that I decided to book into The Wool Menchant for 4 nights. I cannot find anything nice to say about The Wool Merchant apart from the very nice lady who is on reception in the morning. She was very helpful & very apologetic.
I travel a great deal both in my working & private life, & found the standard of accommodation at The Wool Merchant very poor, hence I would never stay here again & I think at £175 for 4 nights you're having a laugh!!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank PussycatHampshire
babyshek, Manager at Wool Merchant Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2015
Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your recent stay at The Wool Merchant Hotel, I am really sorry to know that on this occasion your stay with us was less than satisfactory. My staff and I follow each review and try to improve our services accordingly. We greatly appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience for future guests. We invite you to give us another try and we’ll make sure you have a fantastic experience with us.

We have 55 en-suite bedrooms including Single/Twin/Double/Triple and Luxurious Suites. All these rooms are recently refurbished including new carpet, fresh paint, new duvets, new pillows etc. In addition to this each bedroom has tea/coffee making facilities, mint chocolate, still water bottles and independently controlled heating. Iron/ ironing board, extra pillows, hair drier and extra heater are available at reception.

The hotel is situated within 5 minutes walking distance to town centre, railway station and bus station and offers easy access from M62. We provides FREE onsite car parking facility on first come first serve basis.

The Italian / Mediterranean restaurant serves best freshly prepared food in Halifax. Along with all that you get complimentary full English breakfast of very good quality.

Look forward to welcoming you soon.

Ravi Jain
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We had a wonderful meal here last night - the best Italian Food I have tasted in years. Lovely ambiance, very friendly staff, and a cracking location in the heart of Halifax. Perfect for a relaxed night out.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist Debbie who allocated us room 406 and answered all our questions on things to do in the local area. Our room was very clean and warm and much more spacious that we expected. There was plenty of hanging and drawer space and a good size flat screen TV. The bathroom was great, we had a bath and separate corner shower and it was decorated with victorian style tiles - lovely. Breakfast was much better than we expected for the price and we got fresh orange juice, a small selection of cereals, make your own toast and a buffet cooked breakfast - fabulous. This place is a real bargain, okay it may be looking a little tired but you will not beat it for value and very pleasant staff.
In the evening we went to the indian buffet at Ziggis which was 11.95 each which also included dessert (on the other side of town a 3.00 taxi ride away) followed by a great time in the Upper George pub which sells real ale and have a rock band on every Saturday night. There are also 2 Wetherspoon pubs in Halifax now, one which is brand new and called the Percy Shaw and is in the Broad Street Plaza. All in all a great weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SnorkelAddict
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I regularly stay at this hotel, usually only for 1 or 2 nights, and find the staff extremely friendly and efficient. The location is great for my workplace and also allows me to get out running in some great country.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel. The first was a good experience and this was too. The staff were friendly and helpful, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good.There is ample car parking just across the road.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Martin S
ibiza_rox
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Very central to halifax. Large spacious rooms with big flat screen tvs with plenty of channels. Staff are excellent, especially one man who almost seemed to be running the hotel by himself, I saw him day and night, checking people in & serving in the bar & restaurant. He was very friendly and helpful.
The rooms are clean with a good size bathroom and decent shower.
The food in the restaurant was excellent & my dad was particulary pleased that when he asked for a certain brandy during dinner the night before & they didnt have it, the next night the chef had gone out and got it in in for him. What great service!
The rooms per night are so reasonable especially as its so nice!
We travel to west yorkshire often so this will be our new family hotel of choice!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank ibiza_rox
Darlington
Reviewed 16 March 2014

A clean, comfortable hotel close to Halifax town centre and railway station. The staff are friendly and efficient. The restaurant's quality and value are unbeatable. The chef always manages to exceed my expectations. I work away from home, and eating at this restaurant makes Mondays a little more bearable! It's really like a home away from home.
Only downside is that the building was converted at a time when disabled access was not a priority and so is not wheelchair-accessible.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are cooler, good in summer, not so good in winter.