“Basic but good service, spotless and well located”

Wool Merchant Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
London
“Basic but good service, spotless and well located”
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Very welcoming and infomative receptionists which led to very smooth check in and out. Rooms are basic but very clean with analogue TV, tea and coffee facilities and en suite shower room. Bed was comfortable and no issues with noise either from the road outside or other guests.

Located a short walk from the station and centre of town.

Would happily stay again.

Also ate in the restaurant which was ok, although the pasta looked very good so I should probably have gone for that! Breakfast was very basic but sufficient given the price.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Scotland
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I was recommended this hotel by a colleague although she hadn't stayed there before. Upon arrival the receptionist was extremely friendly and nothing seemed to be a bother at all. She took me up to the room herself and made sure I had everything I needed. She explained where I could get something to eat and advised I could also have in my room at no extra charge if I didn't want to go down for dinner. The food was very good. The room was immaculate as was the bathroom. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Ravenglass
Reviewed 29 December 2009

On arrival at the hotel there was no receptionist to greet us and no bell to ring to summon one...not a good start. After a few minutes wait someone turned up but the service was poor to say the least. We were given our own towels to carry up to the room and put in a lift and not told which floor to get out at. The room was OK for the money we paid but on inspection of the bathroom we noticed that there were no toiletries, the cup in there had toothpaste in the bottom, the shelf above the sink was dirty and the waste bin was full of rubbish...the bathroom had obviously not been cleaned from the last guests. I went to reception but again no one was there and so went back to the room and called but had to call a few times before someone answered. They apologised and we were moved to another room. We own a Bed & Breakfast so expect a certain standard and even in the new room the attention to detail was poor...I don't call 2 bars of soap toiletries and it certainly wasn't spotlessly clean.
The breakfast was OK but again lacking in attention to detail...table cloth not clean and there was no tables set until you sat down.
The only good thing about the hotel was the location but would certainly not stay again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Halifax hotels

Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed 6 September 2009

I booked this hotel partly on the basis of the other Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed.

The hotel is in a converted woollen mill / warehouse - converted around 30 years ago - but has clearly only recently been completely refurbished. All the bedroom furniture and bathroom fitments appeared virtually brand new - no recycling apparent from before the refurb - and of a very acceptable standard. The level of cleanliness was outstanding and could not be faulted.

The staff were all very friendly and I was pleasantly surprised to be shown to my room, not something one expects in a hotel at this price. The hotel incorporates an Italian restaurant which I did not try, though from the range of choices on the "specials" board, the food looked good. Breakfast was cooked to order, rather than the usual "help yourself", and of a perfectly acceptable standard for the price of the hotel, though not otherwise outstanding.

Parking is available across the road from the hotel, who were happy to allow me to park there all the following day at no charge, another nice surprise.

Overall, a very pleasant experience and I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Pigman58
Arbroath Scotland
Reviewed 28 December 2008

It is 30 years since I lived in Halifax so making the return to the town of my birth with my wife (also a former local) and our grown up children for a family funeral posed quite a problem - where to stay for two nights? Since leaving I have visited the town regularly but always stayed with family.
I had noticed that the Wool Merchant Hotel was well located for the visitor and had good car parking for its town centre hotel location. Having seen a favourable review on TripAdvisor, I phoned and was pleased by the enquiry/booking process but still had slight apprehension since I had committed my family to something I would readily have done on my own for a business trip.
On arrival the same receptionist greeted us warmly and we were well pleased by the standards of our rooms; a good, modern level of comfort easily exceeding that offered by the budget chains. We ate dinner in the restaurant and were delighted by the quality and price of the Italian food on offer, they even modified one order to accommodate my daughter’s dairy intolerance. It transpired that the business is run by a local Italian family and they run the business in the same way I have experienced when travelling in Europe - none of the impersonal British chain hotel nonsense - they care about whether you will be a return visitor. The staff were all motivated by concern for the customer and it showed.
Satisfaction continued in the morning when we had breakfast which was individually cooked by the proprietor exactly to our liking.
Overall a lovely experience at a time of family sorrow and we shall return when we next visit Halifax.

• Liked — The owners and their attitude to running the hotel
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
6 Thank seasoned_traveller44
norfolk uk
Reviewed 16 April 2007

We stayed at the hotel for one night in April as part of a Grand National coach package.
We found this family run hotel to be clean and the staff very friendly. The food was excellent, even the breakfast was cooked to order. The hotel is not far from the rail station. We would recommend this hotel.

4 Thank alg555