“Good value rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Yorkshire
“Good value rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We had a weekend rate at £98 for 2 nights b&b, which was really good value.
Positives: Staff were some of the friendliest we've ever come across, breakfast was cooked to order & very nice, well placed for the town, nice decor in the public areas
Negatives: no aircon (will be very stuffy in summer), only 9 car park spaces (first come first served)

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room at the back as they're quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to hear the staff meet your expectations. It is great to hear you find our weekend package good value for money. If you ever find the rooms to be warm please do not ever hesitate to contact Reception we have plenty of fans available upon request. We hope to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I chose this hotel out of the list of company-approved hotels based on its Trip Advisor score, and was not disappointed!

Firstly, the decor of the 'public areas' of the hotel is... interesting. It seemed to have that 'Overlook Hotel/The Shining' vibe to it.. you almost expected the twins on the trikes to be around the next corner. It is pretty 'grandiose' - but a bit dated.

The next kicker is that the room key... is an actual key! I've not had an actual room key that was a key in... at least 10 years. Though, judging by how easy it is for hackers to spoof electronic keys (a la Hyatt), maybe it's not a bad thing.

The 'bad thing' about the key is, it is pretty bulky, and so you are asked to leave it with reception whenever you leave. Again, that is more than fair - but I did find that you can simply wonder up to the reception to a member of staff you've never seen before, give a room number and they'll hand you a key. I'd like to see them demand your name to match it with the key next time - especially as I had probably about £3k worth of stuff in my room.

The room I had was a 'standard' room, and it had clearly recently been refurbed. It was very nice inside, though already the carpet seemed a bit tatty to me - it seems they didn't chose a very hard wearing carpet. And it's quite thick, so it seems to hold dirt - I wanted to get my Dyson in and give it a good hoover. 3.5/5 on the room and cleanliness.

The Bed was incredible - one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever laid on, and I've stayed in some pretty decent places - 5/5 on the bed is an easy score.

The Bathroom was very tastefully done and modern, and very similar to my bathroom at home (lol), all the fixtures and fittings are nicely installed, and they've used decent kit. No bath though. If I'm being picky, I'd just point out that the drain cover in the shower is not very good and kept coming out. 4.5/5

Breakfast was included, the dining room staff were lovely and the food was better than average and individually prepared. a solid 4.5/5.

Location is perfect (well it was for me!), I was working just up the road, you're 5 mins walk from a shopping arcade with most typical high-street stores, just over the road is a brand new Vue cinema and all the standard entertainment complex food establishments (Pizza Express, Nandos, TGI etc...).

The only downside is I found overlooking Princess St, it was pretty noisy at night - lots of shouty and screamy imbeciles who have fallen out of some pub or another. Not much the hotel can do about that though.

Car parking was a bit awkward - they only have 9 spaces in a tiny off road area - so if you're 'lucky' and they can fit you in there, you have to give them your keys and they'll put your car in. So you've got to be pretty trusting! But I guess you either accept that, or find somewhere else (I guess you could always park in the Vue Cinema/APCOA car park...)

All in all, I'd have no reservations at all about recommending this hotel, at least for a short business stay or perhaps even a romantic weekend break (would people come to Halifax for that?).

Room Tip: If you can avoid being over Princess St, that would probably be better
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write your in-depth thoughts on our Hotel. Thank you for choosing our Hotel to stay with on your recent business trip. With regards to your concern with handing out keys the reception team are excellent at knowing guests and their room numbers, if they have any doubts they will ask. I am delighted you found the bedroom to be of good standard and appreciated the new beds and bathrooms. I note your point about the carpets and will ensure Housekeeping are aware. We pride ourselves on our traditional English breakfast and all our staff and are glad you enjoyed this aspect. We hope to see you again if you ever work in Halifax again.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Friendly staff, pleasant and clean rooms, a massive and brilliant breakfast – this is a really nice hotel and I’d happily recommend it to anyone coming to Halifax for business or pleasure. Bang in the middle of town and full of a certain old world charm.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us recently and thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. I'm glad you found the staff to be friendly and pleasant and the rooms to be clean. It's also great to know you enjoyed your breakfast. I will pass on your lovely comments to the departments mentioned. I'm delighted to hear you'd recommend us and we look forward to seeing you again, if you are in Halifax.
Keelby, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Spotlessly clean hotel in the centre of town, close to all restaurants and shops. Comfortable rooms, toiletries included. Loads of tea/coffee. Wonderful breakfast. Friendly staff. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda S
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your lovely review. I am pleased you found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. Also that you found the benefits of our location. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your breakfast with us and found all the staff to be friendly. I will pass on all your comments to each department. We hope to see you in the near future if you are ever in Halifax again.
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed here on a 3-night special booked direct via the hotel's own website - card details required to reserve the room - no charges were made until departure.
We reserved a Superior Double which together with a small dressing room area, had the largest bathroom (wet-room) that I have seen in a hotel.
The staff at the White Swan are a significant factor in making a stay at this 3-Star property, extra special. Everyone from the front-desk, waiting staff, maintenance and cleaners seem to always have smiles on their faces, and possess a can-do attitude.
This historic hotel makes a pleasant change from the anonymous chain hotels that predominate in this sector of the market. Book the White Swan for your next trip to Halifax, I promise you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LuddendenTurk
Dear Guest, Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted to hear you liked the refurbishment of the superior room. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I am pleased the staff did not let you down. I will pass on your kind words to all the staff. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just stayed the weekend at the "The White Swan Hotel" a very warm and friendly welcome, rooms very clean and smart very tastefully decorated. Staff very friendly and obliging. Food excellent and a great variety. would be pleasure to stay there again, and we will .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DIANNE H
Dear Guest, Many thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts on trip advisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us hear at The White Swan. I will pass on all your kind comments to the staff.
Ely, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Was also at the Hotel for the Road Roller Association AGM and would like to echo the comment about how friendly and helpful all of the reception staff and breakfast team were to us over the weekend. At all times it felt as if we were being looked after by friends rather than someone "just doing their job".
Breakfast was very good and suitably filling - and they coped well with a large number of us turning up at the same time.
The room was fine and the bed comfortable.

The car parking arrangements at the hotel and with the nearby carpark worked fine.

Finally the two young ladies in reception can make one of the best pots of Earl Grey Tea that I've ever had the pleasure to drink. If I was closer to Halifax I'd probably be visiting them regularly purely for the tea.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tony B
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Tony, Thank you for writing a review on tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to meet you and your fellow road roller members. I will inform all the staff that their work was appreciated. Hope you got home safe and hopefully see you again in the near future.