“An awesome little gem!!”
Review of The White Lodge

The White Lodge
Ranked #3 of 99 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
“An awesome little gem!!”
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Jean & Eddie and George gave us a very warm welcome, especially George (very enthusiastic & obedient). The bedrooms were tastefully decorated and very comfortable comfortable. And the breakfast.... very, very good. Well done!!
PS: I would suggest that visitors come bearing doggie treats for George :D

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Latifah J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Coventry
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband and I booked The White Lodge for a last minute overnight getaway stay from the Midlands. We were greeted on arrival with such a warm welcome by Jean....and George the staffie who was adorable! We were given a tour of the facilities and any questions answered. Our room was wonderful, the bed very comfortable and the en suite facilities more than sufficient. The breakfast provided was outstanding with nice touches like home made cake to take away with you for the day! We would definitely stay again...

1 Thank DanLouCoventry
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We have a two night weekend break and booked the White Lodge after it was recommended to us. A warm welcome awaited us from Eric and Jean and George ( the family dog). The bedroom was huge with two windows overlooking the sea. Full tour of the house was given on arrival along with details of a local taxi firm when we mentioned we were going Greyhound Racing on the Saturday evening. Breakfast room was also very light and airy and food was cooked to a very good standard and hot. There was no restriction's on our comings and goings and Jean even booked us a taxi to go racing. An good B&B with excellent service which we would have no hesitations in booking again.

London
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My husband prefers staying in independent Bed and Breakfasts to impersonal hotels and since this was a treat for him I booked the White Lodge. I found it as a result of checking the reviews on Trip Advisor. I contacted them to let them know we would be arriving early and Jean was very accommodating about this and met us at the door. George, their infamous dog, was having a little snooze when we arrived but soon popped out to greet us. Jean explained everything at length and gave us our menu cards to order breakfast for the next morning. My husband does not eat pork products so it was nice to see fish being offered on the breakfast menu.

We were exhausted having been on the road since very early that morning so we went for a nap. Unfortunately this was disturbed by some other guests arriving but we were so tired we nodded off again. When we got up we took a wander into Great Yarmouth having first taken a stroll across the road to the beach. We walked through a small park called Waterways which is very sweet with all the little bridges. We took in the sights of Great Yarmouth. Scroby Sands wind farm can be seen from all along the beach and we checked out the visitor centre close to the pier. We took a stroll down the pier and took the obligatory strong man photo while watching a young girl having a ride on one of the donkeys. We got on the tourist train which went further down the seafront and when we got back to our starting point wandered down a street full of quite tacky merchandise to the shopping mall. On our way back down the street we stopped into a restaurant for a bite to eat before heading back to the White Lodge.

Breakfast the next day was wonderful so good I was not able to finish it all. You can help yourself to as much toast, fruit juice, tea and coffee as you like. There are also cereals on offer.

The cleanliness is first rate better than almost every place I have stayed in previously. The towels were the softest, most luxurious ones I've ever had the pleasure of using.

There were three reasons why I did not give the White Lodge full marks. Blackout lining on the curtains would have helped especially during our afternoon nap because while the window was small the curtains let in a lot of light. As I mentioned the towels were fabulous but I would have liked to have had a bath sheet rather than a bath towel but I understand with economies of scale and the amount of laundry that needs to be done this might not be possible. The shower head was large and the water plentiful the only problem was that it was a fixed shower head and I like to be able to shower all of me so if a shower with a hose could be introduced that would improve the showering.

My husband and I would like to say a massive thank you to Jean for her wonderful hospitality and we would definitely recommend this Bed and Breakfast for anyone visiting Great Yarmouth.

1 Thank LondonIrishlass
georgeGreatYarmouth, Owner at The White Lodge, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Hello LondonIrishLass
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. Thank you also for all the lovely positive comments you have made. We are very grateful to you.
You are absolutely right about room 4 curtains needing extra linings. I have only just made the curtains and although I have lined them, It's clearly not enough. I will add blackout linings as well just as soon as I get time.
I'm afraid it's not possible to put flexible shower heads on our shower system as the system is pressurised straight from the mains and it just wouldn't work well.
I do put bath towels in all rooms as standard. As you say, the ecological side of washing dozens of bath sheets is prohibitive to us putting them in the rooms. However, if you stay with us again and just ask me, I will supply a bath sheet for you, no problem :-)
It was lovely to meet you both and I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in the area.
Kind Regards and thanks again.
Jean
Burton on Trent
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We have just had a short one night break in Great Yarmouth and were lucky enough to book into The White Lodge. Jean was straight out to greet us and gave us a full welcome detailing the public areas, introducing us to George and advising us of timings etc. we had room 1 which was very large, huge bed and two windows on to the front (sea view). It was off season, so very easy to park and we left the car for the whole duration. The room was clean, with lovely 1920's features and tea/coffee making facilities. We were able to come and go as we please and had a key to get back in as it was the early hours.
Woke up to a delicious smell of bacon being cooked! Breakfast was plentiful, and yes, we popped our own bread into the toaster (if it's good enough in a 5 star hotel, then it's good enough here!), helped ourselves to the good selection breakfast goodies whilst waiting for our cooked breakfast. Breakfast is selected the night before along with an approximate time that you would like to go down for breakfast.
Jean is a very pleasant host, but....George completely steals the show!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank The_Simnetts
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Well Jean and Eddie you have excelled yet again.
The White Lodge in Yarmouth, offers comfort, cleanliness, peace and quiet, excellent service, Jean goes the extra mile to ensure her guests have a great time.
We return here year after year and to keep the standard as high year after year is an amazing feat well done to both of you.
I feel I have already covered, how spotless the rooms are, the wonderful home cooked breakfast,the wonderful decorating of each and every room, the wonderful sea view, ample parking, in previous reviews, but when you write a review, these are all the important things so worth saying again.
Looking forward to our next visit in December already!!!!

Room Tip: We always have room 7, our favourite sea view. The trees that blocked some light from the premises...