“Your Part of The Family Now”
Review of The White Lodge

The White Lodge
Ranked #1 of 99 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2009

We have just had our second stay at the White Lodge this year, and when I said to Jean and Eddie that we would see them again soon, Jean just smiled and said of course "your part of the family now". This is a very typical response from a couple who treat everyone as old friends and why my wife and I will stay at the lodge whenever we are on the coast. George is the third member of the family and just loves to welcome visitors with his wagging tail and lovely nature.I often tell people that we have found a lovely hotel on the sea front and have to remind myself that the Lodge is actually a bed and breakfast such is the level of decor and finish in all the rooms. Nothing is too much trouble from the excellent breakfast to the advice of where to visit.The beach and the boating lake are opposite the Lodge and the beautifuly kept waterways are very close to the Lodge and are a real treat to see. The coffee shop is also very close making a relaxing afternoon possible for those who do not like to travel too far from the Lodge. I have added this information as Jean and Eddie always tell their guests about them, and after reading the reviews you will already know the quality of the White Lodge. This is a lovely quiet home from home, in fact I planned to get up early to photograph a sunrise but always slept in which just shows how relaxed I am when I visit.

Reviewed 25 August 2009

We first stayed at The White Lodge in May following recommendation from my Mum and Dad. We found Jean, Eddie and gorgeous George so friendly and welcoming, they even decorated the breakfast table for my husband's birthday! The cleaniness and breakfasts are excellant. We returned last weekend with my Mum and dad and enjoyed another great weekend. Cleanest and friendliest B&B i've stayed in!

Reviewed 18 August 2009

I would just like to thank Jean, Eddie and especially George the dog! for such making our stay in Great Yarmouth so wonderful. I have stayed at lots of guest houses in my time but the White Lodge is by far the best. The 1930's decor throughout the house is absolutely stunning. We were shown round quite a few of the rooms and every single room was spotlessly clean, newly refurbished and, as I said above, the decor was beautiful. Our super king-sized bed was very comfortable and I had the best night sleep in ages. Jean and Eddie were really friendly and helpful and I felt that we were saying goodbye to friends at the end of our stay! The breakfast was excellent and should not be missed. We totally fell in love with George the dog - especially my 2 children. We could not believe how well behaved he was! Now we have stayed at the White Lodge, we would never stay anywhere else in Great Yarmouth. In fact, we are going to be booking up another short break in a few weeks' time!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2009

A lovely place to return to after a five day boating trip. Jean and Eddie (and George the dog) really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. After so many meals out on the Broads we just wanted a quiet night and to cater for ourselves. On enquiring about taking a disposable barbecue onto the beach Jean packed us up a hamper of plates, barbecue tools, a rug, an ice bucket and even stakes to stand your champagne glasses in the sand. The rooms are really tastefully decorated with really comfy beds and I can thoroughly recommend the smoked haddock and poached eggs for breakfast - Yum!

Reviewed 13 August 2009

The White Lodge is a beautifully appointed 1930s built guest house run by Jean, Eddie and George (the dog). Upon entering Marine Drive we were struck by the unparalleled views of the quiet part of Great Yarmouth's beach; being situated about 3/4 mile from the town centre, The White Lodge was able to give us free street parking for the whole of our stay and quiet nights. The guesthouse is spotless and the panelling in reception, which also goes up the stairs, is stunning and adds to the general feeling of warmth and homeliness of the place.

Jean and Eddie are perfect hosts, attentive and knowledgeable. The room we stayed in had yet to be refurbished to the same standard as the rest of the house, but nevertheless was spacious and spotlessly clean. The extra touches were priceless and very appreciated: fresh flowers in our room; white towels folded on each bed; shampoos and shower gels; coffee/tea tray and activity books for our children.

The breakfast was astonishing. Every day a menu was left in our room for us to select our breakfast for the next morning. Jean and Eddie even added lovely stickers for our children to brighten up the menus for them. The choices included a full English (emphasis on the full!), which comprised of bacon, sausages, eggs, black pudding, tomato, beans and fried bread - any combination of these can be chosen via a simple tick list system. Alternatively, we could choose eggs on toast, beans on toast, smoked mackerel and poached eggs or the best kippers we've ever tasted. On the morning, when one of our daughters chose kippers, Jean was able to provide boneless ones especially for her. Fruit juices, cereals, hot drinks, yoghurts, fruit, as much bread as we wanted, brioche and waffles are left out in the dining room and are freely available.

Nothing is too much trouble, on a day when I was suffering from a bad back Jean and Eddie sent breakfast up to my room. Like the title of our review says, this is truly a home from home.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Sensational guest house run by a fantastic couple. Rooms are immaculate and lovingly
co-ordinated . The breakfasts are beautifully cooked and set you up for the rest of the day. Eddie and Jean will happily direct you anywhere, discuss real ale or great places to dine, while George loves everyone who gives him attention.
Had a superb two days here at the races. Lots of our fellow guests were racegoers too, so many hard luck stories were exchanged over breakfast! Wholeheartedly recommended........

Reviewed 9 August 2009

From the warm welcome and george's friendly tail wagging when we first arrived to when we said our goodbyes, jean and eddie made us feel as though we were visiting friends and not just having a holiday. We've already been telling friends and family about our stay and hope to be able to come again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple