“Better than I was expecting but not The Ritz either.”
Review of Fawlty Towers

Fawlty Towers
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Hadleigh, England, United Kingdom
“Better than I was expecting but not The Ritz either.”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My boyfriend booked a room here because it was cheap. I hadn't read any reviews prior to him booking, and when I did, it was with an ever sinking heart. So when we arrived, it really wasn't as terrible as some reviews would have had me believe. That said, however, I certainly wasn't bowled over either.
I would have minded the shiny, woodchip wallpaper and the oppressive, dark, patterned carpet and bed linen less if the room had been clean. But it wasn't. I found several raisins on the floor in both the bedroom and the bathroom and there was a thick layer of dust on the skirting boards. The bed linen was clean, but I was very relieved that I had taken the advice of another reviewer and taken our own towels. The hand towel I picked up to use when we first arrived had stripey toothpaste smeared all over it, as if somebody had wiped their mouth on it after brushing their mouth after brushing their teeth!
We were in the paperboy's room, and on arrival it seemed unbearably hot. We soon discovered that the bathroom radiator was on and the bedroom window would not stay open. We eventually wedged it open with a plastic coat hanger from the wardrobe (The radiator was off when we returned later in the evening). We had requested a cot for our baby, and there was one, complete with bedding already up when we got there and there was also an iron and ironing board, a hairdryer , 3 bottles of water in the fridge and lots of tea, coffee and milk as well as 3 packets of biscuits.
Breakfast was very nice, with big jugs of milk and orange juice on the table, cereal, fruit and yoghurt laid out for guests to help themselves to, lots of toast brought to our table just after we had come down, and full English, cooked to individual requirements.
I have to be honest and say that I probably won't be staying here again, and I won't be recommending it to anyone.
If you're in Great Yarmouth for one or two nights and you're looking for a place to rest your head and have a nice breakfast, then Fawlty Towers will probably be absolutely fine (take your own towels though!!!), but if you're staying for longer- on a family holiday for example- then I would suggest perhaps looking elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
essex
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was really dreading staying here after reading the reviews.however I was prepared for the worst so pleasantly surprised . Yes the hotel is in need of renovation,but our room..the paperboy had a double bed and single. the carpet has seen better days but curtains looked new and furniture better than I expected .toilet clean, sink clean but the shower base could have done with a good clean .The room had an iron and board, hairdrier, tissues , more teas and coffees and milks than anywhere weve stayed also packets of biscuits and a fridge with 3 bottles of water. I would advise taking your own towels though... plenty of pillows another nice touch that often you don't get. The breakfast tables were set with plenty of cereals, youghurts. jugs of orange juice , plenty of milk.A very good full English breakfast, lots of toast and tea or coffee.found the staff very pleasant.. the hotel is only minutes from the pier and right by the shops.Yes the entrance needs a coat of paint and carpets need renewing and yes you can smell a greasy cooking smell, but...for £60 for the three of us with breakfast it was far better than I expected.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Paperboy room on the first floor please be very careful not to fall down the step...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank martysfan
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Based 30 seconds from the bech front.
Rooms are dated and dark but they were fine for how long we spent in them.
Breakfast was lovely and we even had a man knock at our bedroom door asking if we needed clean towels etc.
For £25 per person per night (including breakfast) it was worth every penny!

• Stayed August 2013
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Nice comfy room near the town and beach not far from the pier and cafes nice place to stay if u want to be near the town and beach would recommend staying there the staff and caned people the the hotel is clean and tidy

Room Tip: Excellent service nice room good hotel to stay good location near the shops and the beach would stay...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Me and my Family were planning to stay in a different Hotel to start with but they sent us a email saying that they doubled booked us. So we had to quickly book another place as we were worried that other places were going to get booked up fast, so we didn't think to read the reviews. What a mistake that was! The next day we decided to read the reviews and were in shock at what people were saying. We choose to the ignore the reviews and hoped that people were just being fussy. But man we were wrong again. So anyway we got there and waited at the door for a while until this old man greeted us with a 'oh il get someone' no hello, welcome. The greeting of the fatty scummy smell was more welcoming than anyone there. We got our keys and had rooms 1, 7 & 14. Room 1 was my mum & dads room and it had the worst smell of fat and Greece. The carpet was black and nothing looked like It has been cleaned in ages! My sister and her boyfriend had room 7 and the carpet was also black and they had a shoe lace has the pull cord on the fan! Me and my younger brother had room 14 and that wasn't as bad as the others. The only thing was the shower fell apart when I got in it the next morning. We went for breakfast the next morning and all they said was were full at the min come back in a bit! No good morning or anything. The time I spent in the b&b I felt dirty and grossed out. I took the risk and had a full English and surprisingly it was nice! But I wasn't very impressed with the smell of the ladys armpits as she kept leaning over me to place things down. None of them seam to have any personal hygiene at all but that's no surprise if they live in that place! There is so much more I could say about this unhealthy place but you have to be stupid or dumb to go anyway after all this reviews! Everything you read is true don't think were being fussy or anything because were really not! If you don't care about your cleanliness then go ahead knock yourself out with the fumes but all im going to say is you have been warned.

Room Tip: Sunny side hotel is very nice!! Nan and granddad stayed there and the rooms are beautiful and the pe...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Tash S

Travellers are raving about these Great Yarmouth hotels

Reviewed 7 August 2013

My family and I were looking for accommodation in Great Yarmouth and regrettably ended up in this B&B. We arrived tired and desperate for a good nights sleep. My mother was struggling through the door with her case as the bare footed landlord sharply told her, "watch out for my feet"! Perhaps an offer to help may have been a better greeting. The shabby, filthy room was smelly and unclean. My son and I were so disgusted by the dirty bed linen and stained towels that we used our own towels to lie on. The bathroom door didn't close and the sink, shower and toilet were unclean. In the morning we left as fast as we could, having not slept a wink for fear of being eaten alive by bed bugs! Disgusting, overpriced and the worse place I've ever stayed in my life! Didn't dare to sample the breakfast, as we were quite sure we'd end up with food poisoning! Don't bother with this place, it's disgusting.

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank Jodykate
Trowbridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The "warm welcome" at Fawlty Towers consisted of "mind my feet" as I struggled past my host carrying heavy bags (hubby having gone to move the car). The place has an air of total gloom and despondency. The décor is tacky, worn-out and shabby. The carpets were grimy and the whole place looked in need of good old dusting, cleaning session followed by a total redecoration. We did not trust the bedding, so slept (very fitfully) on top of the towels which we placed on the duvets! None of us could face the thought of the breakfast, so left the premises at the crack of dawn.
At £50.00 per room per night, no-one expects 5-star accommodation, BUT you should be able to expect the bare minimum of cleanliness and comfort, neither of which were on offer at this establishment.
I have stayed at quite a few hotels in my time, but Fawlty Towers, for me, hits an all-time low!
I would advise anyone to take their £50.00 and spend it elsewhere!

Room Tip: Try the nearest Travelodge!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family