“no pool”

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
“no pool”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

Although the hotel was comforatble my husband and i were very dissapointed with the fact we could not use the pool,the reason we booked this hotel was because of the pool facility,we were not told on arrival that we had to let the owners know if we wanted to use it in the evening,after coming back from our day we asked if we could use it and were told that it needs 3 hours to heat,Our children were very upset as they wanted to go for a swim.I feel the price we paid for this hotel was not justified,I also feel it is very old fashioned decor and needs updating,and the atmosphere is very dull.Sorry but thats they way we felt!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank family52_13
John H, Owner at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Thank you for spending the time to write a review and we are pleased to hear that you found the Hotel Comfortable.

I am sorry that the weather in June this year was not very good and on the day you stayed it rained and was only 15 degrees. Apparently it had a feel factor of 13 degrees so heating the swimming pool would have not been effective. The surrounding air would have cooled it down as fast as it could heat. All we would be doing is help to destroy the ozone layer.

If you and your Children wished to use the pool during the day there was nothing to stop you up to 1730 Hours but as shown on the sign by the pool showing the normal opening hours are 0830 until 1730. For safety reasons the pool is not normally open in the evenings. We even offered to try and heat the pool for you to use the following day even though you were checking out.

I am surprised at your comments regarding the décor as the room you stayed in was only built two years ago and everything is new obviously the main part of the Hotel is of Victorian times and it would be a shame to destroy its character.

I am also very surprised that you thought the Hotel was very dull as anyone who has stayed a few days would disagree with that comment. I note you only stayed on one night and apart from your family and a few workmen the Hotel was quite empty. Most other days that week and other weeks the Hotel is quite full and we have entertainment in the evenings which as anyone who has stayed knows is very lively. I do not feel that to pay £94.00 for Bed and Full English Breakfast in an En-Suite room for five people can be considered expensive and most people are surprised on how cheap our prices are. Even the Bar prices compete with Wetherspoons.

It is a pity you judged the Hotel on a one day visit when your only entertainment was your family but I would have thought that would have been enough not to make the evening dull.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

One of the reasons I chose this hotel was the good reviews it had got, and I was very disappointed.
If you are looking for an 'Old School seaside B&B' you will be quite happy, but if you are looking for a hotel with WiFi and modern facilities this is not the place for you.
The staff were friendly, and the room was clean, but the smell of damp carpets in reception was a tad off-putting.
As well as getting my car trapped in the carpal, and being unable to find anyone to try to track down the owner of the car blocking me in- park in the road if you are going to want to get your car out is my advice.
The hotel is set up for coach parties, and this this is their main trade, so single travellers looking to use the WiFi to do some work in the evening are not the main concern.
Being told breakfast will be at 8.30 was a bit of a shock too, but they did allow me to eat at the early time of 8am after being asked- but they had forgotten this when I came down and nothing was ready. Plus I haven't encountered cheap cereal in Tupperware tubs for a few years
I must admit I should have looked harder when booking, but unless you want to pay silly money Great Yarmouth is not the town to stay on business, so I did have to take what I could find.
But if you boast wifi it needs to work, and if your parking is restricted admit this- as a woman who travels solo safe parking is a major requirement for me!
Oh and even the new wing has paper thin walls- so when the chap in the next room got up for a 4 am stroll I knew all about it......

Room Tip: Take ear plugs...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Mobilekat
John H, Owner at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay.

From your review it appears your main concern was the WI-FI as you keep mentioning the lack of Wi-Fi facilities. I cannot understand this as we have several different servers to try and cover the whole Hotel. Whilst appreciating the fact that it appears were ever you are Wi-Fi signal does sometimes go done we have tried to combat that by actually having five servers in the Hotel. Apart from the Networks Victoria 2 and Victoria 3 we also have TalkTalk, Sky and Belkin servers which as you will appreciate are different carriers. I continually use the Hotel Wi-Fi for many things including the Hotel e-mails and booking system. Like most Hotels some of the systems need a password which we give out freely on request. Unlike some Hotels who charge you for this facility.

I don’t know what other modern facilities you were expecting in a Victorian Hotel but you will have seen that in every bedroom we have modern flat screen televisions with Freeview; some have an inbuilt DVD player. All Bedrooms are en-suite and have a Hair dryer, Tea and Coffee making facilities an Alarm clock. Irons and Iron boards, Fans and Heaters are also available on request. All bedrooms have Double Glazing, thermostat controlled heating and either a heater or towel rail in the Bathrooms. Most of the en-suites have been modernised over the last three years. Any suggestions on what other facilities we could have in the bedrooms, without incurring exorbitant costs, which we would then have to be passed on to guests, would be appreciated. We are always looking for ways to improve the Hotel and our service.

I am pleased like most of our guests you found the rooms to be clean and the staff friendly. I am sorry that you felt there was a smell of damp carpets in the reception. But the day before your stay we had all the Carpets shampooed. Something we try to do on a regular basis to keep them clean. Unfortunately we cannot close the Hotel for a day for this to be done so we have to pick the most suitable times.

I am not sure about the problem you had in the Car Park but we are always available to help and quite often I park guest’s cars if they do not feel confident enough themselves. Ideally it would be nice to have a bigger Car Park but this is not possible without knocking the neighbour’s houses down. I was not aware of any problems this year and the space round the back has only been used once this was during the May bank holiday weekend.

With regard to Breakfast when we have Coaches in they usually like Breakfast at 08.30 hours as they then go out in the Coach. Naturally enough during these times it is far easier for us to serve Breakfast all together so we do ask guests if 08.30 hours is OK for them. As most of our guests are Holiday makers we usually find that that is also ideal for them. However we normally have to prepare some breakfasts at 0800 or earlier as our guests have to go to work or for some other reason have to leave early in the morning. This is not normally a problem as we usually have to get up ourselves before 07.00 to turn the cookers and grill on and start to prepare Breakfasts. I do not know what happened in your case as neither my Wife nor I can recollect any problems. Obviously if we do not know what you require for Breakfast the food has to be prepared. I trust however you did not have to wait to long for your Breakfast. On that day you were not the only one who took an early breakfast.

Your comment regarding cereals surprises me as we only use Kellogg’s Corn Flakes, Kellogg’s Bran Flacks. Our Weetabix is real weetabix (the brand name) and the muesli is Alpen which contains 100% natural ingredients and made by Weetabix. I do not know if you tried every one but they are recognised brands not cheap brands as you state and the containers were not “Tupperware Tubs” they are proper containers to stop the ingredients going soft.

I note your comments regarding prices in Great Yarmouth and obviously this was one of the main considerations that you took when booking. We try to keep our prices very competitive but obviously by doing this there are some standards that we cannot reach and most of our guests take this into consideration. Should they require a very high standard I presume they pay the extra to stay in a higher class Hotel?

I am sorry if the person next door to you woke you up at 4.00am but unfortunately we can not do much to control that. The New part of the building had to meet the high standard for sound insulation demanded by the Building control and had to pass a sound test before it was commissioned.

I would not say the Hotel is set up for Coach Parties but definitely our main trade is tourism rather than Business. Most Business customers prefer to pay the extra amount for a four or five star hotel which naturally offers better facilities.

It is always very disappointing when we hear that our guests are not happy as we try to personally look after everyone. We are a Family run Hotel and give 100% commitment to it. We have put all the money we receive together with my pension back into the business to try and improve it.

I tried to contact you to discuss some of your comments which appear to be assumptions rather than facts and consequently some are incorrect but as you have not responded to me I now have to draw attention to this fact.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Thanks to May, John, Eva, Jackie and all the other staff who made us more than welcome, fantastic weekend. One of our party said the swimming pool was cold, but it would be at midnight. Most of the entertainment was better than expected from a family run hotel. Really enjoyed it :-)

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Evansdarran
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Hosts May and John, and all staff,
Have had a fantastic weekend, we thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our stay, with excellent food 4*, entertainment 4*. Room cleanliness 4*,

Mr & Mrs Dewey, room 29
Will definitely visit again. Would recommend to anyone either Solo to group bookings.

Room Tip: Rooms are ensuite, so rooms a little smaller than normal but well equiped and worth the money.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Derek D
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

We stayed at the Victoria for I believe the 5th time over the easter period, we have always enjoyed our time there and this was no different.

Whilst the hotel is dated in some aspects, it is always clean and well presented. It has had recent investment in a new wing, which suggest that a longer term effort to improve the hotel is already underway.

The building is ideally located opposite the Wellington Pier, and is a short walk from the Pleasure Beach and the town.

The rooms are all clean, comfortable and include all the things you would need for your stay. The breakfasts are good and plentiful.

Overall, this is a really great hotel for any trip in Yarmouth. Everything you need, and the owners John and May will do everything they can to make you feel welcome and to ensure your stay is a pleasant one.

This is our "Go To" hotel when we travel to the Norfolk coast.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rockfordstone
Dover, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

My third visit to John & May at the Victoria. John always comes up with some way to make our conferences memorable, and each year they seem to get better at what they do. We have only ever been off season, but the location and ambiance make me want to try a visit in summer when a bit of sunshine must really make the place. Thanks guys!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

This was my third visit to Hotel Victoria where we held once again our conference. We were well looked after even with a big crowd of 60 plus delegates. All the staff displayed excellent customer service and the welcome was genuine. We ate a lot and then some more. May likes cooking and the fry up is just what is needed after the evening of entertainment. The bar is opened until very late. Give the Victoria a go ! Good for family time, conferences and friends reunions.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business