“Disappointing in comparison to other B&Bs”
Review of The Elmfield

The Elmfield
Ranked #16 of 98 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing in comparison to other B&Bs”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We had a bad start when stuck in traffic driving to Yarmouth, so when I called the owner to say we might have a problem arriving between 4 and 6pm - check-in time according to their website - we were told that they could wait until 8/8.30 at the latest, as they have to get up early to start preparing breakfasts. When it became clear that we wouldn't meet their 8.30 deadline, I called again, and was told that there wasn't any leeway on this and they wouldn't leave a key anywhere for us. While lucky we had family staying in the area who could go and retrieve the key for us, they also felt they were met with a frosty reception, plus it cost us a fortune in taxi fares just because of the inflexibility of the owners.

The following morning when we went down for breakfast - 8-9am according to their welcome pack - at 8.30, we were told that they weren't ready for us so we needed to go back to our room and they'd call us when they were ready. We were asked to complete a form with our choice for cooked breakfast, which we did, then returned to our room and sat waiting for our call. This came at 9am, so we made our way back to the breakfast room, where were then waited another 20 minutes for our cooked breakfast with no explanation for the delay. We, like other reviewers, were puzzled by having no option to change our breakfast choices on following mornings, so didn't even bother with breakfast by our third day.

In fairness, the room itself (room 9) was very clean, and was cleaned every day, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The shower was pretty poor though.

The B&B was full the weekend we stayed, and given the good reviews from others, we may have just caught the owners at their most unprepared. My review may therefore appear unfair against other recent ones, and I take the point that the owners are new so may be finding their feet, but in comparison to other B&Bs my husband and I have stayed in, we were rather disappointed with the Elmfield.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clmbeck
molly071267, Owner at The Elmfield, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
It is our wish that every guest receives the best service that is possible, so we are always
very disappointed when a guest leaves dissatisfied.
Out guide line for check in is between 4pm and 7pm. This is only a guide line.
We do realise that especially on a Friday night people find themselves held up in traffic.
Frequently we will receive a call from a guest informing us that they will not be with us till 10 or 1030pm and then we will wait up for them.
It is only when a guest has no idea when they will arrive that I cannot guarantee we will stay up.
With regards to our breakfast we do our best to cater to all tastes.
Most people when staying for more than a few days will want to vary their breakfast and this is not a problem. We have blank menus at our desk on the ground floor and now have blank menus in our welcome book in each room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

We required a family room in the Yarmouth area for the weekend as we were going to spend the Saturday at the Bewilderwood forest adventure park.
Found The Elmfield after a search on hotel.com then a review on trip advisor.
We arrived late on the Friday and were greeted with a warm welcome. There is off street parking available all be it in a narrow driveway.
The room had a double bed plus a bunk bed which our six year old was more than happy with. There was a small en suite shower. The room was impeccably clean and quiet at night although prepare for a morning chorus from the seagulls.
The breakfast was excellent. Full English if desired with the owner happy and courteous but not obtrusive.
For the price of £140 for 2 nights you cannot go wrong. My advice would be to book direct with the hotel.
Finally, I managed to leave my pullover in the cupboard, after a short call to the hotel, it was posted back to me the next week free of charge, now that's service.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary, lovely and clean, very friendly. Comfy beds! Will take an extra tea bag or two next time as only two provided! Very nice full English brekkie! Would defiantly go back.

• Stayed September 2013
UK
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This B & B is on a Street just a short walk from the sea front and a few minutes from Regent Road and the main holiday shops and restaurants. Parking on street isn't too bad and is free. Didn't use the free parking at the B & B due to its layout.

At check in you're asked to fill in breakfast requirements which you are then assumed to want for the remainder of your stay which is a shame. As a grown up I could have queried this but as a previous reviewer states I felt I didn't really have opportunity to. Unfortunately I did lose interest in breakfast after the first one. It was good wuality and portion sized but with no variation I didn't want it on my last day.

Rooms were clean on the whole with just one or two minor details with crumbs on the carpet and dust in the drawers.

Beds were comfortable which is important and the shower was hot when we needed it.

The room I was in Unfortunately was massively affected by what it backs onto.... the coach park. I was woken arpund 6am each day with various companies allowing their drivers to sit with engine's running which is bad practice. The Council should also deal with the matter as a point of urgency. If I popped back mid day for a freshen up before heading back out, the coaches were there again.

Check out, like others comment, left me puzzled about key handover and farewell discussion as no one was about.

The complimentary tray was replenished each day and beds made which I thought was a lovely touch. Guests have access to an iron and ironing board too which is good.

I'd stay again due to the value for money compared to others and the location but I'd stay in a different room.

Trip Advisor needs to have its 4 grade as 'good' not 'very good' as then I'd have given this a 4. A few tweaks as above would make it a very good even without the coach park being shut down.

London
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed for a 4 days and overall was a good stay. Very close to sea and restaurants, pier etc, so pleased about that. On arrival we were given a list of breakfast items to choose from for the following morning. The breakfast was ok but bacon had to picked up and eaten as so hard. One of everything so looked quite sparse on plate. Also, for the remainder of the stay, you had the same breakfast everyday, you wasn't given the option to change which I thought was a bit strange and to be honest, didn't feel I could ask to change !
Room was very clean, but I feel that there should have been more than 1 tea bag each. I understand it is complimentary but good customer service would have been nice to have a cup of tea at night and one in the morning when you woke up.
also the morning of departure we had to look for someone to take key from us and as check out is 10am you would think someone would be there or at least say thank you for staying.
Small changes would make big differences ..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My husband and I enjoy coming up to Great Yarmouth this is the first time we have stayed at the Elmfield and we would recommend it to anyone the owners are really friendly and make you feel so welcome the breakfast is amazing we found the bed so comfy its also very clean. It's not to far to walk to the beach and town about five to ten mins if that. When we come to Yarmouth again we will stay here again as its good value and well worth every penny.

Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night so we could spend a couple of days at Yarmouth. The owners were friendly and helpful and breakfast was good. We arrived early and was allowed to park our car whilst we spent the day out and about. Would stay again. Good value.