“We already look forward to coming back!”
Review of The Elmfield

The Elmfield
Ranked #16 of 98 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
London UK
“We already look forward to coming back!”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed for three nights at the Elmfield, and was well looked after by Chris and Suwanee, and I have to say this was one of the best B&Bs we have stayed at before. Many B&Bs in the area did not welcome babies so we were glad to find the Elmfield. We booked directly with the B&B after speaking to Chris on the phone, and it is the same price as booking sites - so book direct!

We were travelling with a baby and we got a complimentary upgrade to a family room so that we had a bit more room. Room 9 had a double and bunk beds, and was extremely clean. Sure the shower wasn't super strong, but it was adequate and meant we were able to take the baby into the shower with us. There was also a kettle and cutlery which helped when making up bottles/preparing snacks. The double bed was slightly too soft for our liking but that is a personal choice.

The location was great, 5-10min walk to pretty much everywhere and closely located to the beach which would be handy for summer. We used free street parking as the B&B parking was a bit difficult to get into, but there was plenty around and was not a problem.

Breakfast was fantastic - full english breakfast was so well cooked that I didn't feel it was unhealthy and we cleaned our plates 3 mornings in a row which is rare. It wasn't greasy at all and everything was fresh and yum. There was also a good selection of cereals on the side.
If I was staying for a long time I would want maybe a "light" morning with yoghurt and cereal so maybe this is something that may be introduced - but we had this for 3 days in a row and were happy.

Having read some of the other reviews - I don't understand the confusion with breakfast. There are menu sheets at the front desk where you fill in what you want - daily if you want as you can fill in the date. We filled one in each day - switching between scrambled /fried eggs and veg and meat sausages. There was no problem with this at all! And i am sure if you woke up with a strong aversion to what you ordered the night before, if you spoke to Chris something could be done...

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Norfolk and the Elmfield was a great base to explore the area.

Thank you Chris and Suwanee for taking such good care of us (especially Lachlan!)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The friendly owners of the Elmfield gave us a professional warm welcome and were available without being intrusive. In a busy street [not noisy but parking is limited] it offers off road parking, which takes some worry away. The cleanliness is also second to none.They are also doing a refurbishment of the rooms, which can only add to the already positive atmosphere [but we enjoyed it anyway]. You can choose your breakfast when you book in, which is cooked in a healthier [less greasy] way and presented nicely. We stayed two nights and I would recommend it strongly, to couples especially.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Chris and his wife hosted six of us guys for 3 nights during the Caister Soul Weekender. I speak for all of us when I say the this was the best B&B we have stayed in. The beds were comfy and rooms were supplied with tea, coffee, hot chocolate, water and.....biscuits! The breakfast was freshly cooked and was the best English I've had in all the hotels I've stayed in, including the breakfast served in the executive lounge at the Hilton.

We will definitely be booking this B&B for next years Weekender.

See you then Chris!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2013

After booking with Chris he said if I called the day of arrival he would give me a check in time I did and got in my room at 12 midday brilliant
Was met by a lovely warm welcome had bags carried to my room
Breakfast in morning was more than enough and set me up for day
I will be going back have no hesitation in highly recommending Chris and suwanne on their wonderful hosting

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank claire7171
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We had a bad start when stuck in traffic driving to Yarmouth, so when I called the owner to say we might have a problem arriving between 4 and 6pm - check-in time according to their website - we were told that they could wait until 8/8.30 at the latest, as they have to get up early to start preparing breakfasts. When it became clear that we wouldn't meet their 8.30 deadline, I called again, and was told that there wasn't any leeway on this and they wouldn't leave a key anywhere for us. While lucky we had family staying in the area who could go and retrieve the key for us, they also felt they were met with a frosty reception, plus it cost us a fortune in taxi fares just because of the inflexibility of the owners.

The following morning when we went down for breakfast - 8-9am according to their welcome pack - at 8.30, we were told that they weren't ready for us so we needed to go back to our room and they'd call us when they were ready. We were asked to complete a form with our choice for cooked breakfast, which we did, then returned to our room and sat waiting for our call. This came at 9am, so we made our way back to the breakfast room, where were then waited another 20 minutes for our cooked breakfast with no explanation for the delay. We, like other reviewers, were puzzled by having no option to change our breakfast choices on following mornings, so didn't even bother with breakfast by our third day.

In fairness, the room itself (room 9) was very clean, and was cleaned every day, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The shower was pretty poor though.

The B&B was full the weekend we stayed, and given the good reviews from others, we may have just caught the owners at their most unprepared. My review may therefore appear unfair against other recent ones, and I take the point that the owners are new so may be finding their feet, but in comparison to other B&Bs my husband and I have stayed in, we were rather disappointed with the Elmfield.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clmbeck
molly071267, Owner at The Elmfield, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
It is our wish that every guest receives the best service that is possible, so we are always
very disappointed when a guest leaves dissatisfied.
Out guide line for check in is between 4pm and 7pm. This is only a guide line.
We do realise that especially on a Friday night people find themselves held up in traffic.
Frequently we will receive a call from a guest informing us that they will not be with us till 10 or 1030pm and then we will wait up for them.
It is only when a guest has no idea when they will arrive that I cannot guarantee we will stay up.
With regards to our breakfast we do our best to cater to all tastes.
Most people when staying for more than a few days will want to vary their breakfast and this is not a problem. We have blank menus at our desk on the ground floor and now have blank menus in our welcome book in each room.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

We required a family room in the Yarmouth area for the weekend as we were going to spend the Saturday at the Bewilderwood forest adventure park.
Found The Elmfield after a search on hotel.com then a review on trip advisor.
We arrived late on the Friday and were greeted with a warm welcome. There is off street parking available all be it in a narrow driveway.
The room had a double bed plus a bunk bed which our six year old was more than happy with. There was a small en suite shower. The room was impeccably clean and quiet at night although prepare for a morning chorus from the seagulls.
The breakfast was excellent. Full English if desired with the owner happy and courteous but not obtrusive.
For the price of £140 for 2 nights you cannot go wrong. My advice would be to book direct with the hotel.
Finally, I managed to leave my pullover in the cupboard, after a short call to the hotel, it was posted back to me the next week free of charge, now that's service.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary, lovely and clean, very friendly. Comfy beds! Will take an extra tea bag or two next time as only two provided! Very nice full English brekkie! Would defiantly go back.

• Stayed September 2013