“Disgraceful waste of money”

Sea Life Centre Great Yarmouth
Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
More Info
US$12.91*
and up
SEA LIFE Great Yarmouth General Admission
More attraction details
Owner description: The magical marine world of Great Yarmouth SEA LIFE Centre will introduce you to many beautiful and fascinating creatures of the deep. Prepare for astonishing close views of everything from humble starfish to mighty sharks and giant sea turtles, all in displays which carefully recreate their natural habitats.
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The worst place I have ever visited, used a Kellogs voucher but still paid £15 for 20mins of cramped viewing a few fish, small sharks, cramped turtles and suicidal penguins. The toilets are so filthy I wouldn't take a dog in there .
My advice is don't go it will be a waste of money and the advertising is a false representation of the reality.

3  Thank Judith H
sealifeuk, Manager at Sea Life Centre Great Yarmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Dear Judith H,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on here and also contacting us directly.

As we explained to you, our toilets are checked hourly and any uncleanliness would have been dealt with as a matter of urgency once that hours check had been conducted. We can only apologise that this was not picked up sooner.

If you used a Kellogg's voucher, the £15 spent would have been for two people. We think £7.50 per person is outstanding value for what can be a full day out. Especially if you get to experience the numerous talks, feeds and demonstrations throughout the day.

We hope that you give us another try. The majority of our guests have an excellent experience with us and we hope that we can change your opinion of us.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Kind regards,
George

Write a ReviewReviews (1,706)

Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is a good Sea Life Centre, but effectively the same as others such as Newquay. Effectively, it is an hour's worth of entertainment, so please don't think otherwise. On a positive note, it is always wonderful to see these creatures, and they appear to be well looked after. However, due to the short amount of time that it would keep your attention, it is best to look online or for a voucher to reduce the entry cost, as for the three of us, it would have cost near to £50. By using a voucher, it was just over £20 which made it more viable, and worth spending on a cold, wet August day in Great Yarmouth.

Dear Timetravellerandcom,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

We have never charged nearly £50 for entry to the centre for three people... Without a voucher, the maximum you could have paid would be £38.70. We suggest our customers book online in advance or use a voucher like you have done which always offer the best value. On average this year, our customers have paid under £10pp which we think is outstanding value.

We think you must be mistaken about a centre in Newquay, the nearest one we have down there is in Gweek so perhaps you visited a different aquarium brand? SEA LIFE is the largest aquarium brand in the world and we offer a varied experience in each of our centres and sanctuaries. These also change yearly to ensure our guests get a different experience every year.

We hope you spent your time enjoying the numerous talks,feeds and demonstrations throughout the day and we're glad you enjoyed the creatures.

We do hope to have you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

All of our family loved the range of different animals, scenery and fantastic lighting walking around the sealife. The staff were always on hand for any questions you had and there were some great talks at certain times about some of the animals. Fantastic to look at and great for a family day out.

Dear Pinkladyew,

What a great review - thank you! We always appreciate when people take the time to review us and especially when they have had an enjoyable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Using the 2 for 1 vouchers my daughter and I spent a good couple of hours in the aquarium. I especially enjoyed some of the new exhibits and my daughter (6) enjoyed being able to get up so close to the starfish and jellyfish. The staff inside the aquarium were knowledgable and friendly. However, it rapidly went downhill when we left after our second trip round. The soft play area is badly run. There were too many children and my daughter got hurt. No-ones fault but if the number of children was policed perhaps this wouldn't have happened. Then when we went to buy a small souvenir in the shop the price at the till was more expensive than the price tag. When I complained I was spoken to so rudely by the staff who served me. I have made a complaint but apparently this happens a lot as they have a policy about this so be careful! I won't be returning as I don't pay to be insulted or shouted at. Such a shame as this greatly outweighed the positive start to the visit.

Dear LJG23AUG,

I was shocked to read your review and hope you understand that we pride ourselves on outstanding customer service. I really want to get to the bottom of your review so would really appreciate it if you could send me an email to george.paige@merlinentertainments.biz so that I can resolve this with our team as a matter of urgency.

This is the first complaint that I have had that says our staff shouted and insulted a guest. Please accept my sincere apologies if this is the case.

With regards to the soft play, the signage outside of the area clearly states that it is not policed. It is the parents responsibility should they want to let their kids play in the area as we cannot monitor this.

I am pleased that your experience in the centre was good and that you got good value to visit but am saddened by the fact that this was ruined at the end.

I look forward to hearing from you so that I can further look into this.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Visited this Sealife centre with my wife and 6 year old grand-daughter on the 20th August 2014.
Nearly £40 to get in to what can be only be described as a very poor attraction. Apart from the rays and a few small sharks there is little else to see, I know you can enter as many times during the day as you want but frankly why would you bother.
The whole attraction is very small and with the amount of people they were allowing to enter it was almost impossible to get near some of the tanks, the walkways are small and get congested when you get pushchairs, wheelchairs in them.
They really need to consider what they are trying to achieve here, it was very disappointing and very expensive for 20 minutes.
If you are going to go I would strongly recommend you try & find discount tickets from somewhere, alternatively go and try & find a garden centre with an aquatics area, would arguably be more interesting.

Dear IanC55,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Did you know that if you had booked online you could have saved £11.70 on your ticket? On average, customers who have visited us so far this year have paid under £10pp. We think this extremely good value somewhere that offers an all day experience.

Our customers that use their tickets all day are the ones that get the most out of their experience as they go to the numerous talks, feeds and demonstrations that occur throughout the day.

We are really sorry that it was busy, unfortunately during peak season, as I hope you can understand, we get a lot of customers. We need to process them so as to not leave them waiting out in the rain. This does sometimes mean that the centre can get a bit congested but we do what we can to ensure a constant flow throughout the centre.

We do hope you give us another go, and hopefully it won't be as busy now we are out of peak season.

Thanks again for the review.

Kind regards,