“Worst holiday I have ever had”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Great Yarmouth
California Cliffs Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Belvedere, United Kingdom
“Worst holiday I have ever had”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

We have been to this park many times so we know what to expect and wouldn't return if we were not happy with our experience. This year we opted for a GOLD caravan which was more expensive, but we were getting a decent caravan with central heating. The site was as expected and the facilities on site were the same as they'd been previously. Polite, efficient service no complaints there. However, the chip shop needs to get its act together. very expensive and the chips are not real fresh potatoes, they looked and tasted like frozen/oven chips....WHY? I would've though this made them more expensive...perhaps that's why they are more expensive than the ones I get from my chippy in LONDON!
On our penultimate night I woke up at two freezing cold. The central heating was not working and to make it worse it was extremely cold outside. I didn't want to spend all morning waiting for it to be repaired so we packed our bags and went home (now nice and warm). I very much doubt we'll go back. The caravan was OK, but was not as good as the silver caravan we had had last year. There was no TV remote control, the TV switched off if you moved it too much very frustrating if you were without a remote control. There was also no scissors, no fruit bowl and the oven only worked if you first turned the grill on. as this was meant to be atop of the range GOLD caravan I expected better.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Park R, General Manager at California Cliffs Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
It is not often I have to answer a 1 star review, and can only apologise that you were disappointed with your recent holiday at California Cliffs. Firstly Thank you for your comments regarding the team and that you received good service.

We have not altered our pricing or any suppliers for the chip shop from last season our chips are fresh potato’s, I have asked our Complex Manager to look into your comments to see if we can make any improvements which I will personally keep an eye on.

We had very cold weather in recent weeks and have had some boiler problems but prominently gas demand. Within our welcome packs we have a 24 hour hotline whether you need a pair of scissors or a remote control our team are on hand to ensure that any issues are fixed quickly however I apologise these items should have been in your caravan before you arrived.

The whole team were disappointed when reading your review, the items you have listed have been highlighted on their checking sheets to ensure this does not happen again.

We try to learn from every review, yours is as valuable to us as a 5 star review so thank you for taking the time to write it and we do hope that you give us the opportunity to restore your faith at California Cliffs in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Braintree, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

This was out first experience at a caravan park so really didn't know what to expect, it started off a bit shaky on the first day checking in was very easy and quick we had booked a gold plus so the van was ready when we arrived. The lady who checked us in was very polite and helpful and gave us a map to find the van. On arrival at the van the key we had would not open the door so I called the number on the key and that was quickly sorted, (wrong key) the van was big enough for the 7 of us and very well equipped.. I had booked the gold plus for the heating as I knew the weather wasn't great in April. We tried to put the heating on but the boiler just wouldn't work so again I called down to reception and they sent someone to see us within 15mins. He looked at the boiler and said the gas cylinder was empty so needed replacing. By now I'm thinking what else could go wrong.. I have to say thou he was very polite and promised to have it working again within 30mins which he did and we were able to put the heating on in all rooms. I did have to phone reception again as the pull out sofa bed didn't have a pillow or duvet cover, was promised one would come up to the van. They hadn't come by the time we left for dinner.
We went to the bar area around 4.30pm for some dinner as a treat for the first night. I have to say that was the only night we went in there after that. I ordered burgers and chips x 7 for us all and drinks nice and easy. The ordering took ages as till was playing up, not enough glasses were ready for the drinks and card machine kept switching off.. A simple ordering which should of taken about 5 mins took 35mins and to top it all off when I returned to the table my husband took a look at the bill and I was charged £15 more than I should have been.
This then took another 20mins to sort out as manager had to be called and bill looked over, i was refunded the money in cash and if that wasn't bad enough I over heard the staff member who had served me telling another visitor
"she's been over charged so she says" that wasn't nice to hear and I did mention it to the manger who just shrug his shoulders.. Like I said that was the last time we went there for a meal or drink or even anything all week. By this point I wasn't happy and I just wished we hadn't come...

The evening entertainment was spot on kids show was fab, the staff were funny and friendly they kept the kids busy dancing and playing cant fault them at all it was a lovely ending to a not so great first day.
The pillow and duvet I was promised didn't come that night so we made do, the next day I called again but this time I got the linen not actually a pillow or duvet. They didn't come until Thursday morning. After 2 more calls and a call from my husband too.
I have to say even though we had all this trouble the staff at the pool and the evening entertainment staff more than made up for it, the kids loved it. The place is very clean and there is something for them to do all the time with the playground and pool. The kids had a great time and already they want to go back again. I'm not sure if I would go to the same place again but kids loved the evening staff they want to go back there. Thank you Jordan, Chloe, James, Laura and Sophie you were fab and kids are learning the dances for the next time which may actually be this summer (haven't made my mind up yet)

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing California Cliffs as your first experience, however I was disappointed to learn that it wasn’t up to your expectation.

I am really sorry we got the key wrong for the caravan, neither can I offer an explanation I am as baffled as you are as to why this happened and can only apologise.

We did have large gas demand issues at the start of the season due to the weather and I am sorry you arrived without 2 full bottles in place. We seem to have got hit with this problem over a 5 day period but can assure you we have learnt some lesson and this will not be repeated.

With regards to the till system we have invested in a new system over the winter period to speed the process up when ordering but it crashed over the weekend of your stay and I can assure it was as uncomfortable for us as it was for you, all of these issues have now been rectified however I am sorry that you had to experience this. Our new wireless PDQ machine was linked to our new till system which increased the problem and again this has now been rectified.

Thank you for your comments regarding the Entertainment it sounds like it took the sting out of your first impressions and sounds like the kids had a ball.

We identified the problem with bedding and put a process in place to ensure this does not reoccur, as a team we hold weekly meetings and go through every review so we can improve our business and to ensure these problems don’t happen again.

The team do work very hard to create great experiences unfortunately we let you down due to some system problems but we do learn very quickly by our mistakes and I am sure our 2014 opening will be smoother.

I certainly hope you do give us another look and I am positive we will exceed your expectations on your next visit. Thank you for all your feedback and taking the time to write this review.
Watford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

Just arrived home after a week away 29/3-05/4 2013 despite the cold weather we had a great time, the park is very well equipped if you want to stay on site 24/7 although so much to see and do locally. The park is very well looked after and all the staff are extremely helpful and polite too. The entertainment is fantastic!! they have a great selection of acts and shows by the crew and have to mention Jordan in particular as he is funny as hell and I couldnt stop laughing :0), the rest of the crew are fantastic also. I highly recommend this park and will be going back ! Debbie from Watford.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Hi Debbie

Thank you for your comments the Entertainment Team they thrive on positive feedback and they are all an asset to the park and their commitment to their roles do not go unnoticed.

Sounds like you had fun, we do take pride in our park and everyone that works here like nothing better than creating amazing memories for all our guests.

Thank you for the recommendation and the review and we hope to see you again soon.
Basildon, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

we had a great time here over easter weekend enjoyed every min of it and the young lady at the front desk helped us very well with everything and did her best to help us she was a great help and the hoilday was great as well look in forward to going back of lots more

Room Tip: just turn up lol
1 Thank Rodney P
Hi Rodney

It is great to see one of our reception team getting a mention they work so hard in ensuring our guests get into their caravans quickly and are the first port of call for most things, they are delighted to be recognised so thank you.

We certainly look forward to seeing you again back at California Cliffs and thankyou for taking the time to review the park.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

we went to california cliffs monday to good friday and what a great time we had. we arrived at 2pm and was told the caravan was ready. so that was a great start. on entering the caravan we realised it hadnt been cleaned. we went back to reception told them and they couldn,t apologise enough and said they would get it sorted straight away which they did came and told us it was now ready and the lady whose fault it was also came and apologised i also got a phone call later to ask if everything was ok. when we run low on gas i went to reception and it was changed within 30mins so the service is superb. now to the rest of the holiday the staff are all polite and the entertainment crew the best we have ever come across especially sophie and chloe as the boys took a bit of a shine to them. but all of them were brilliant and took time out from their busy work load to stop and talk to us even sitting down with us at the end of the evening for a chat. all the best for the rest of the season hope to get back before it ends. chris ,jan ,frankie & alfie

2 Thank Chris O
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

Just Got back from a week at California Cliffs.

I booked a week for myself and my 4 year old daughter
£79 for 4 nights in a bronze caravan with all the gas and electric you can use plus the beds all made when we got there.
worked out cheaper than the Sun Newspaper deal.

The caravan

Bronze caravan was cold and drafty but this wouldn't be a problem if the weather was a bit warmer.
we took a couple of fan heaters and a few blankets and the gas fire was handy.
I managed to put a blanket over the doors as the wind whistled through the gaps.
just poked it in the gaps with a spoon.
We left the fan heater (thermostat controlled) on low all day which kept it warm for when we got back from exploring.
all the mod cons you need and the tv had a built in dvd player which was a bonus.

The Park

a bit out of the way and all the sea front shops were shut when we went but it was freezing
Can't comment on the shop as we didn't use it (there is a Tesco in Caster) cant comment on the chip shop either as I never saw it open.
there is one round the corner at green farm but I would avoid it the chips were small and greasy and my pie was stone cold, the heavens for a microwave, would sort of understand if they were busy but only 2 people in there

parts are looking dated and in some parts its falling down with a leak between the pool and main building.

The pool is nice and warm and the lifeguards are always on hand.
bit odd to have to take your shoes of to walk to the changing stalls that are in the main pool area so no changing rooms.

the waterside is nice and fresh and the show bar is well stocked ( Bud and Becks on tap yum yum)

Entertainment

Its the Kids Entertainment that made the holiday for my little girl (and made me laugh)
Mr Boiled Egg, Jordan, Sofie, Chloe, James and the other teamsters were fantastic and made the whole venue fun.
with so many Parents and teamsters and the lay out of the show bar made it feel safe that i could take my eye of my daughter (very protective dad) and watch madness and mayhem or go to the bar and not have to make her come with me, as i have had to do in the past at other places we have visited. (probably helped that It wasn't very busy)

They had a UV Puppet show on one night that was amazing and funny a must see. and the Chaos crew was fun and well played out.

we will be booking again as you cant beet the value for money hope fully be a bit warmer next time.

If the park management or park resorts read this

yes the park could do with up dating but its the staff that are the real asset to California Cliffs

All the best for the rest of the 2013 season

1 Thank lilys_dad1979
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

The weather was freezing the carivan was freezing but very clean - the entertainment was amazing - family friendly - Jordan was brilliant with our kids - we took 2 teenagers with us thought they would be bored but Jordan and the rest of the team got them involved up and dancing it was a great time for all so much so the kids are already planning our return trip - they really wanted to stay for a few more days - everything you need is right at the park - cant say enough it was brilliant!!! - don't have parks like this in Nebraska really loved it

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Princess716
Park R, General Manager at California Cliffs Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
I normally only call my daughter Princess! Hehe. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It was cold and normally when we clean the caravan our team pop all the heating on so you should arrive into a lovely warm caravan. If this was missed I do apologise. As some of our caravans do not have heating in the bedrooms you can hire oil filled radiators from our main reception 24 hours per day. Sounds like the Entertainment Team are super focused and are already a credit to the park! This has certainly inspired the other departments on park. I had a quick look at the weather in Nebraska and today they are feeling the snow. No snow in California.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Yarmouth
Furzedown Hotel
Furzedown Hotel
#5 of 21 in Great Yarmouth
Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to California Cliffs Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!