“Good - Recommend”

Burlington Palm Hotel
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed at very short notice. (Our original booked hotel was terrible so we decided to stay somewhere else). The room was clean, breakfast OK. Hotel reception staff were good the reception area was grand and modern. For a big "quality" hotel on the Yarmouth Sea front this was good value and it was pleasing to see it buzzing in late August. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed at hotel for one night with grandson. Staff were really friendly and made us feel very welcome, room was very clean with lovely views of the sea. Used swimming pool just the right size. And breakfast was the best we have ever eaten. We will definitely be going back hopefully for longer stay next time. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 24 really nice room.
1  Thank Paula H
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Brilliant hotel, staff treated you with respect, went the extra mile to do anything for you, greeted you as Sir and Madam. The room we had room 4 was of a good size, as big as my lounge at home. Been to Yarmouth many times this hotel had the most comfy bed ever. The hotel always had a lovely floral smell. Breakfast was always piping hot and there was plenty to have. The cost was reasonable although restaurant slightly expensive.
Regarding what other reviews have said I cannot find any faults with this hotel and I am hoping to return next year.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in was very spacious and comfortable. (Room 4)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank june m
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My father in law decided to book this hotel for his wedding reception and we were invited to stay the night to make the day more of an event.
As we have three children my wife and I booked two rooms with interconnecting doors. Both rooms were clean but basic. They were fine for our needs though.
The hotel is pleasant and seems well kept. There is a small swimming pool and games area which the kids made use of.
The night went well and was enjoyed by all. The next morning did ruin things somewhat. Breakfast was a real let down. Maybe because we were a large-ish party or perhaps some of the staff were having a bad day, but the service was terrible, perhaps the worst I have ever experienced. We arrived for breakfast about 8.50am and helped ourselves to the cereals while waiting for tea or coffee to be served. The staff seemed oblivious to our presence. After about twenty minutes we finally got someone to bring us some coffee. Next maybe a cooked breakfast?
Again not one member of staff seemed to want to help us. We finally got an order in at 9.40 after watching other tables being served before us. On complaining to the girl who was serving ,we got a very forced apology. She was clearly upset by our complaint, so much so that when she brought our toast it was thrown onto the table. That was the last we saw of her. The lad serving us after that had far better manners.
Anyway our cooked breakfasts started to arrive around the hour. They were not great and not worth the wait. The whole breakfast thing really did spoil what was a nice evening before.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

As the title suggests, I got an immediate sense of warm atmosphere on our arrival. This was echoed throughout the staff and made the place seem that much more friendly to stay at.

I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room; the en-suite bathroom in particular was quite spacious and we enjoyed a huge bay-window of sea-views that led to us having to draw four separate huge curtains after nightfall! Beds are quite firm and comfortable enough, and the room itself was clean and had no musty odours. The only negative with the room was the fact it got so warm in there - but with a sea view room it's going to get the sun on it for the best part of the day.

The pool was pleasant enough although despite having no strong chlorine smell, my eyes were stinging considerably afterwards for several hours which is unusual for me as I'm a regular swimmer. This resulted in a headache from hell later in the evening - so maybe it was something else. The only way to tell for sure would be to go swimming again in that pool - something I didn't want to risk after Saturday night. Elsewhere the staircase over the pool leads to a very pleasant sun deck which is away from the coastal winds and provides a lovely relaxation spot.

The decor could do with uplifting in some areas - for example the corridor leading to the communal toilets on the ground floor has some brown plastic panelling lining the walls; this was also peeling off in some places. 1972 will be calling soon to ask for it back no doubt. On the flipside, the bar and lounge areas are a lot more up with the times with modern seating that hasn't comprised on comfort. I could have fallen asleep on one of those sofas!

Like other reviewers on here, I too was disappointed with the COOKED breakfast. Let me just make this distinction now... The cereal, fruit, yoghurt, juices etc are FIRST RATE for choice. But the good old British builder's brekkie; sorry but that is a big fat fail. One thing us Brits love (especially by the sea side) is our calorie-busting indulgences. Fish & Chips, rock and honeycomb - and a GOOD fry-up. One economy sausage, one rasher of bacon, half a tomato, one fried egg and a rather pathetic looking deep-fried third of a slice of bread just isn't going to cut the mustard in anyone's eyes. Burlington staff - if you're going to heed any of the reviewers comments on Trip Advisor - then please take this one. Get the brekkie right and your reviews will soar I'm sure.

Because everything else is everything I'd want from a stay at one of our sea side resorts. I don't want fashionable decor and clinical staff that recite lines from plays when you're checking in. I don't want exactly the same room everyone else has and a rule book instead of a warm welcome booklet. I just want a warm and friendly place to stay that's clean and acts like a home from home. And this hotel ticks all those boxes.

Oh and if you're going to advertise WiFi - it's probably a good idea if it actually works (even after it's been pointed out a number of times that it doesn't). Not knowing about these things is really not an excuse! Otherwise, thank you for the stay - I will certainly stay again and my daughter loved it too.

5  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We spent 5 nights at this hotel on our first visit. The location was excellent being on the northern edge of the town with large car park, spacious lounges, excellent food and within easy striking distance of the Norfolk Broads. The town centre was a 15 minute level walk away and across the road were bowling greens, tennis courts, miles of wide promenades to walk dotted with cafes.
The hotel boasts a heated indoor swimming pool.

Room Tip: In hot weather rooms at the front will be cooler at night as rear rooms get full sun all day.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

On arrival in Yarmouth, I called to get directions (because Google maps had failed me) and someone answer "Hello" then mentioned something about being after 9, when I asked if I had indeed called the hotel. Our room had a terrible musty smell that just never went away; damp, dirty and stale air all in one. The decor was straight out of the 70's, and every time flushed the toilet water would come back up the sink and bath hole, yuk! There was nowhere to hang the 'do not disturb' sign so we put it up against the door on the floor, the maid still let herself in door wide open...then a delayed 'oops' But all that could have been forgiven if it wasn't for the awful 'award winning' breakfast. On day one I had the kippers and they were so unbelievably salty I could eat no more that two bites, day two the "full english" 1 economy sausage, bacon, egg, half a slice of oil saturated dry 'fried' bread and half a foody tomato, list price £13! If you wanted beans, mushroom and another item it was £19!!!! Shockingly expensive and shockingly poor quality food! The 'freshly ground'coffee certainly wasn't! The hotel was functional, a place to sleep and the staff were OK, but it was well overpriced for what's on offer! I'm 28 so I supposed it's probably not aimed at my generation. But I did like the funky old fashioned lift:-D

• Stayed: June 2013
#3 of 21 in Great Yarmouth
The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick

Been to Burlington Palm Hotel? Share your experiences!