“Good stay although much needed re-vamp”

Burlington Palm Hotel
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Being a hotel in Great Yarmouth, those who are familiar with typical British seaside resorts know what to expect. There are a few rooms which have been updated and the majority have not. Unfortunately we were given a room with a view of a wall was not a great start. Luckily I could just about see the sea as long as I looked down the side of the building as the Wall view felt quite imposing as the hotel next door was a lot taller so it made the room feel quite dark. The room was in badly in need of remodelling but I am assuming this is on the cards. One of our party was lucky enough to have a re-modelled room and this was quite pleasant.

There was also a pool but quite small so when there is over 4 people in there you cant really do much swimming but this is great for children although the water was quite cold. There was a hose left in the pool which had freezing cold water coming out of the end! There was a shower and one large changing area upstairs which I was reluctant to use as it was communal for anyone so no privacy in getting undressed. I ended up running through the hotel in my towel.

The bar food in the hotel was not bad, although I felt this was very overpriced. There were much cheaper places to eat in the local town although after spending all day out it was nice to eat and then not have to travel too far to your room. The children's menu in particular seemed overpriced at £6.50 for a main course which one consisted of a pizza which I am sure was a Chicago town deep dish pizza. The chips were not good on any evening but again it was nice to have to travel too after a tiring day so I guess you put up with it although these were not cheap!

The restaurant menu looked even more overpriced at £20 for a 3 course meal so just for 6 of us would have cost £120 not including drinks so needless to say we did not order from this menu. You can try to use the grandest of words for some food but it is still what it is, and not worth that kind of price!

The lady in the bar area in the evening was a great staff member, she was very attentive and helpful so this was a bonus.

There was also a pool table and a darts board above the pool which was something to keep the children entertained. The owner often walked around too chatting to the guests which some people love but I am not sure whether I did to be honest. I found it a little uncomfortable.

I was surprised to see each morning that glasses from the night before had not been cleared away and when we came down for breakfast in the morning the floor had not been vacuumed so we had a floor covered in crisps and sadly a dirty tablecloth from the day before so I think the hygiene and cleanliness could be improved.

Also the breakfast is only served from 7.45am until 9.30am which seems quite early to me as if you are on holiday you may not wish to get up so early. Luckily we usually are up early during the week so was not too much of a problem but it would have been nice to have the option of sleeping in a little if you fancied.

The hotel has a lift but as the lift is very old fashioned and unfortunately if someone does close the lift door after use the whole lift does not work. This is terrible if you are disabled as you have no way of coming down the stairs. This happened quite a lot when we needed to use the lift for one of our party members in a wheelchair but we were lucky as we could run up and down the stairs to check to see which lift door had been left open but you could not do this if you are alone.

Overall we did have a good Bank Holiday weekend, and I think when the whole building has been re-vamped it will be really good. At the moment it is a pretty dated but hopefully it will improve over time, but the hotel is very big so this will take some time! I would still recommend visiting this hotel as the location is great, very close to the beach and close to the town, just as long as you know what to expect you will have a great time!

Room Tip: Ask if you can have a re-modelled room with a sea view if possible.
1  Thank Sarah G

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The first thing that comes to mind about this hotel is that it was somewhat old-fashioned and tired-looking. There was nothing wrong with it but it also didn't make you think it was something great or special. Rooms were absolutely fine although I found the bed slightly hard. Breakfast was also OK with fish dishes on offer (kippers etc.) which was a nice change for your standard hotel/B&B breakfast. There is an inside swimming pool which is small but nevertheless, you can have a little morning or evening swim in it so nice to have. Staff were reasonably friendly and we ended up having a lovely meal due to a recommendation by one of the bar staff so thank you for that. Head somebody shouting at 4am but that's Great Yarmouth for you, I guess...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HanneleD
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Being a bit of a snob I dont usually stay in anything but a five star but this hotel looked very clean so gave it a go. I am so glad that I did. The staff where very helpful especially Jess, the receptionist and Kevin the bar man. When we had a problem with the wifi the manager sorted it straight away, breakfast was very tasty overall an enjoyable experience and would certainly return again

1  Thank Julie L
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Lovely hotel, great breakfast. The staff were so nice - even though they were really busy.

They were good with us being total airheads and locking our keys in the room.

Its great - lovely view accross the sea - maybe a little bit of blackout lining on the curtains would be good.

Thanks for a great stay

2  Thank Bonnieplummer
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Having been let down by a hotel. (A Room had been booked for weeks at another hotel and on the day I was told the room was unavailable) my company booked a room at the Burlington…what a find! Even though I was a business traveller there for one night the staff could not have been more welcoming. After being met with smiles and good old fashioned courtesy I was shown to a spotless room with a view of the sea.
The room was well supplied with toiletries and coffee/tea making facilities. Not just the usual tired tea bag and two portions of milk. There was a range of teas and coffee and plenty of milk. There was more than an ample supply of towels and extra bedding is required.
The bed was very comfortable and I had a great night’s sleep. Although the hotel fronts the road along the beach, it is very quiet at night with little traffic.
The restaurant provided a quiet dining experience with impeccable service and good fresh food. If you like fish then the breakfast is for you…plenty of fresh local fish to choose from.
My lasting memory will be the lovely courteous staff. This hotel is an oasis of old world charm. A real break from the modern rat-race. But a reminder of what we have lost in today’s bland and clinical hotel chains.

Room Tip: A room at the front and on one of the upper floors will give you a quiet nights sleep with fantastic...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Nicola R
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was a hotel we were directed to after being let down by another in Great Yarmouth. The staff are exceptional , friendly helpful and knowledgeable. Hotel is a mix of traditional and some modern fittings but typical of the private hotels found in he area. Family run with a lot of pride giving it just enough traditional personal service to make it stand out from others. Used by older residents on this basis I would assume!

Food was excellent , fresh cooked and good value.

Hotel has a small heated pool which looks great and is very unusual for the area.

Hotel is situated in nice area of town, far enough to be quiet close enough to walk to town facilities. Free prat parking supplemented with large public parking.

Room Tip: Get a sea view!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Markthedancer
Reviewed 30 June 2014

A traditional seaside hotel, situated in a good position, with a clear sea view. The hotel is well maintained, with adequate rooms to relax, and a bedroom with sufficient faclities including Coffee/Tea making replenished daily, to provide a comfortable stay. Family run, with cleaning etc to a high standard on a regular basis. The Dining Room provided excellent service during the six days of our stay, with a very good choice of menu, and the food was always served hot. The Silver Service completing a very enjoyable dining experience, with helpful staff looking after us.
All the Staff contributed to an enjoyable stay, which is easily recommended.

Room Tip: Sea View well worth the extra.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple