We stayed at the carlton easter monday while friday 13th april.
Our first room was very disapointing, we had requested a room on a higher floor although shearings state that requests are not gauranteed,altough talking to other guests that paid the same has we did and booked a lot later than we did got higher floors we felt this was a little unjust as our room 4 was on the lowest floor available below and somewhere behind reception down some stairs and some more stairs it was very dark gloomy and icey cold and closterphobic, we went straight to reception to request a change the only rooms available where sea views on the top floor at a £5 each a night suppliment total for stay £40 extra we had not budgeted for so this was a bad start to our holiday.
However the room although was dated and snugg was lovely and warm and much brighter and a very uneven floor surface it was badly tilting so much so a large piece of wood had been placed under the wardrobe to keep it from tipping forward, as you walked you felt as though you were being pulled forward which altough it was funny to us as it felt as though our bed was always pulling us forward it could be a big problem for some people with mobility issues..
The food at the carlton is really lovely and large choice of different menus the salads are lovely and so fresh crisp and clean on the palette all meals were served nice by our waiter Samual he was very professional and efficient he had a lot to do however nothing was to much trouble for him and always had a welcome for his guests, a credit to the hotel.
The entertainment was not to our liking although we do like country and western in fact we like a wide selection of music the singer was disapointing he sang kenny Rodgers with no feeling or soul no warmth or life.
Atmophere in the entertainment room was poor it is below stairs this could be a real problem for anyone unable to manage stairs as the lift doesnt go down to basement.
Drinks were expensensive £3.60 a pint of carling we dont mind paying if it was a good pint however the pint was extra chilled and terribly gassy it may have been old stock that had been super chilled and extra gas to disguise this fact an old trick of the trade.
The hotel its self was right on the front although it was a flat walk along the front it was about a good 20 minute walk to the town centre plenty of shops in town if you like shopping.
We did the trips with Shearings to Cromer and Wroxham which was very enjoyable days out Wroxham was a really pretty place and a nice walk along the waterway very pretty.
Norwich Cathedral not to be missed was is very worth while visiting Norwich very impressive as was Bury st Edmunds Cathedral and grounds very beatiful with gorgous kept gardens.
This hotel is not for people that have any major mobilty issues due to number of steps,stairs and uneven surfaces in the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of Great Yarmouth’s premier hotels, the Carlton is centrally located at the heart of Great Yarmouth’s recently modernised promenade. This elegant 97 bedroom Victorian hotel can accommodate most holiday requirements and all rooms are en suite, with hot beverage making facilities and colour Television. There is the opportunity to upgrade to sea view and Superior rooms in order to make the most of your stay at this hotel, and a comfortable and quiet lounge bar to relax in. For those looking for something livelier, there is a separate entertainment suite and dance floor with a programme operating most nights of the week. Like many of our hotels, the Carlton enjoys an enviable resort location and it is just a short stroll along the seafront to reach the town centre which offers a bustling market and plenty of shops to browse. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Bay Carlton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel Great Yarmouth
- Carlton Great Yarmouth
- Bay Carlton Hotel Great Yarmouth, Norfolk