I stayed at the Carlton this weekend for a 2 night trip. The staff were lovely and very accomodating. However the hotel was not what was sold. The pictures show a lovely, bright and slightly modernized hotel. This is the case downstairs!. The bars and entrance are lovely and bright despite the lack of disabled access. The stairs are warn showing lovely spots of bulging and torn wallpaper as you ascend. The lift is very bumpy.
The rooms are not the same as pictured, which was to be expected, not to the extent we found. Room 231 featured
- Sticky head board (informed the cleaner with no improvements)
-Leaking bath (informed reception)
-Wardrobe that did not shut
- Extremely hot room despite turning off the radiators and opening the only window
-Blocked fan in the steam room of a bathroom
-Lights that couldn't light up a shoe box no matter how hard they tried
The hotel next door provides a lovely breakfast served until 11, instead of the 8-9 breakfast slot offered at the Carlton.
An alternative was offered to go to the restaurant before 9am and return to our room with the food however during a holiday I dont want to need to set an alarm to be up before 8am to make it to the restaurant in time. A holiday should be for relaxing!!
Despite our problems our visit was enjoyable yet disappointing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of Great Yarmouth’s premier hotels, the Carlton is centrally located at the heart of Great Yarmouth’s recently modernised promenade. This elegant 97 bedroom Victorian hotel can accommodate most holiday requirements and all rooms are en suite, with hot beverage making facilities and colour Television. There is the opportunity to upgrade to sea view and Superior rooms in order to make the most of your stay at this hotel, and a comfortable and quiet lounge bar to relax in. For those looking for something livelier, there is a separate entertainment suite and dance floor with a programme operating most nights of the week. Like many of our hotels, the Carlton enjoys an enviable resort location and it is just a short stroll along the seafront to reach the town centre which offers a bustling market and plenty of shops to browse. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Bay Carlton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel Great Yarmouth
- Carlton Great Yarmouth
- Bay Carlton Hotel Great Yarmouth, Norfolk