“Highly Recommended”
Review of Bay Carlton Hotel

Bay Carlton Hotel
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We came with Shearings for a four day break and can only say - Please ignore the moaners and groaners who are giving terrible reviews. We are entirely impartial and have had a wonderful holiday. The staff are the Hotel's best asset, they are friendly, happy and nothing is too much trouble for them. Yes the hotel has seen better days and the price reflects this. If you want 5 star accommodation then you must not be disappointed when paying so little to stay here. The food was excellent, lots of choices and served hot and tasty. We paid extra for the sea views and it was worth it, we also took the advice of other reviews and requested the top floor so we didn't hear any noise at all !

Room Tip: Book the top floor and avoid listening to the disco and creaking floor boards.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Robert P
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for your most positive review, it’s so refreshing to hear that you have had an open mind,
Came and stay with us and found that we are truly a wonderful place to have your holiday! I will certainly look forward to your return.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed at the Carlton 27/01/14 to 31/01/14 and generally found the holiday compared very favourably with previous Shearings holidays, and the double bed was extremely comfortable
The gala dinner, with the 4 complimentary drinks each during that day was very enjoyable. Any query was dealt with swiftly and the staff were very helpful.
The only problem really was in the evenings after dinner. My husband uses a walking frame and so could not cope with the 14 or so steps down to the entertainment area, and so spent his time watching TV.
As I didn't want to leave him alone too often it meant I could not participate in as much of it as I should have liked, but enjoyed bingo, which I don't normally play, and the quizzes, which we'd have won every night if my husband had been with me, as when I took the quiz sheets up to him he was able to supply the answers I hadn't known or had got wrong!
At this point I must mention the Entertainments Manager, David Austin. He was a terrific compere and his singing voice and sheer professionalism made my evenings!
Might I suggest that you have his CD displayed on the front desk so guests can surprise each other with it as a gift? It's excellent value at £5 for 13 excellent tracks and is a super souvenir of the holiday. And I got mine autographed!
One more point - could there be a little more variety in the choice of postcards at reception, such as views of Gt Yarmouth itself? Being on a self drive holiday we didn't go on the coach trip to Norwich, and I had to allow myself to be borne on the wind to the post office to get some with local views.

Room Tip: Try not to be too near the staircase as people say their loud goodnights at the top of it before goi...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linda19482014

Thank you for your review, I will pass on your praises to all mention and have taken note of the comments about access to the entertainment room, with the spring looming we will have a full range of freshly printed postcards available at reception.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Just returned from a 4 nights 5 day at the Carlton Hotel Great Yarmouth with Shearings.As usual the coach journeys via Normanton was excellant.The tour coach driver very good.The hotel was warm,clean,the staff very good and obliging, however the first impression was not up to standard,this being the worn edges of the stair carpet leading to the first floor,it,s like an accident waiting to happen, otherwise excellant.The entertainment was first class.I was surprised that there were no self service at breakfast with cereals etc, if so this would had reduced the time you had to wait being served.(this appears to work well at the Windermere hotel, and no fixed seating arrangements,sit where you like.I was seated at table 4 .there were 6 of us ,no space to spare.!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Gordon R

Thank you for your review, I will pass on your praises to the staff, as we speak "New" carpet is being ordered! we have limited space in the dining room, so sorry we have to allocate seating and we count H & S high on our agenda, I do hope this clears up these issues and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We booked our holiday in June last year for a midweek break which consisted of a twin room and two single rooms. We paid £145 for the singles after our discounts and £125 for the twin which we were happy with, this included a discount of £25 each, bit miffed that some only paid £89 last minute booking but thats life. The journey was nice and relaxed and arrived about 4.45, I must say I was impressed with the fact that Micky the manager came onto the coach with our keys so no check in was necessary. I arrived in the room which was nothing more than a cupboard, had to open the room door and go into the bathroom to close the door. I went down to reception and was given a bigger cupboard, the heat in the room was overwhelming and I turned the radiators off and opened the windows which remained open for the duration of the holiday. The service was outstanding in the dining room, our waiter was James, nothing was too much trouble and he was always happy. The food was exceptionally nice, plenty of choice and always hot, compliments to the chef. The entertainment was varied and something for everyone, to be honest we had a great crowd and everyone got on and mixed and had great fun. The staff at the Carlton are a great, very professional whilst having a sense of humour. The trips were nice, I particularly like the half day to Norwich, plenty to do. Would I go again, sorry a definite no. I was disappointed with Great Yarmouth, thought it was a bit of a dump.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank BernieBarwise

Thank you for your review, Shearing’s offer many fantastic value holidays and priced accordingly to suit individual choices’ will pass on your praises to all the staff and really hope you will give Great Yarmouth another try! It’s really is a beautiful place!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Just returned from our third visit to the Bay Carlton in Gt Yarmouth.
We drove ourselves to the hotel and free parking was easy, right in front of the hotel. Check in was simple and quick, we found our sea view room easily. The hotel appears to have had a partial makeover since our last visit, the public areas in particular. As always the restaurant food was wholesome, varied and served in our case very promptly by Marta. We did not venture to entertainment but understand it was very good. The added bonus of the four drinks vouchers each for the 'party weekend' was very good value.

Room Tip: Although we had a sea view room [ 121 ] it was very noisy in the evening as it is above the Bar
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LTNJET

Thank you for your informative review, I am so pleased your you had a pleasant stay and hope you return to the Carlton very soon in the near future.

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

myself ,sister and friend returned yesterday from a five day coach stay and had an overall great stay,staff were hsppy and we felt well greeted from our arrival.Rooms were clean and comfy just right for what we needed,yes floors are rather creaky but hey its an old building and adds to charactor certsinly did not upset our stay.
And on to the things that made a stay superb-food and staff
Foot was great plenty to fill you up and the salads were huge and exelent,we were catered for very well.overall staff were all great but waiting staff topped it all,always big smiles and brnt over backwards to ensure we were happy with our food even changed my desert when noticing i wasnt really into the first one and asked me what id like instead and as i replied wuth an order for ice cream i recieved a huge bowl of lovely choc ice cream big enough to share.special mention to the heavily pregnant lady serving us all week very attentive and so friendly always msking sure we were happy,,she is definstley a credit yo this hotel..thankyou for a great stay ...mrs Tonge\Beet

• Stayed: January 2014
7  Thank raclourose

Thank you for your wonderful glowing review, it’s great to get positive responses like yours!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Just had a midweek break at The Carlton with family. Warm welcoming feel as soon as you enter the hotel. All members of staff very friendly. Very clean hotel and food fine .Waiting on staff work very hard. Trips out where just enough and our driver did a brill job. We had a fabulous group of very friendly and fun loving people on our couch. Bingo and quizzes whilst we travelled made it a very pleasant journey. Entertainment was fab each night and the compere was great. Just wish he had used more than one CD for the dancers later on in the evening.
The only couple of picky things I would like to point out is that we where sat in the dining room in the very back small area and it was very cold all week. Heaters very near the tables but could have been popped for a short while to make it feel warm on entering. Also although the beds where clean and comfy the mattresses could perhaps have more a of a thicker cover on. You could really feel the springs . Thank you Carlton for a great holiday, Norma Derbyshire (Bolton)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Norma D

Thank you for your wonderful review, I am very pleased you found my staff to your liking and I agree they work hard, I will off course take on all your comments, once again thank you for choosing the Carlton.