“Fantastic weekend break”

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Norfolk
“Fantastic weekend break”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Having seen the varied reviews for this hotel we were slightly hesitant as to what we would find when we arrived with some friends for a Valentines weekend break but from the super friendly and efficient reception staff, the immaculate cleaning in the rooms, the fantastic dining room staff ( plus excellent fresh high quality food ) and the nightly entertainment programme ( starts with bingo followed by a quiz then a quick dancing interlude before an hour long cabaret act and then a final disco session ) I can honestly say it was one of the best weekend breaks we have had and that includes many more upmarket establishment.
Sure there are a few areas that need attention i.e. a threadbare carpet here and there, some basic furniture in the bedroom but hey, at that price one cannot grumble.
We came away vowing to return for another break there later in the year and recommending it as a must visit to all our friends

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AvidtravellerNorfolk
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for your glowing review, I am so pleased you enjoy our hotel, the staff all like to give their very best in service and hospitality, with reviews like yours, we know we are getting it right!
I look forward to your speedy return, in the mean time , take care.
kind regards
Paul Betts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Six family members stayed on a 4 night break. The food was excellent with a good choice for both breakfast and evening meal. The added bonus for us was waiter/waitress service. So nice to be pampered when on holiday and no queueing up for buffet service, Such a change.We all had to pay extra for seaview rooms as National gave no alternative but our twin bedded room was spacious with a large bathroom. The other 4 of our party were satisfied with their accommodation also except as follows:-The rooms were red hot and required a bit of messing about with the radiators and an open window in order to make a comfortable temperature - but much better than being cold. For us all the beds were too hard and the pillows also. Suppose we should have 'complained' nicely to see if anything could be done but we put up with the situation. Floor boards creaked a bit !! and I suppose like a lot of hotels these days certain areas could have done with an update. But everywhere was clean and tidy. The entertainment with MC David Austin every night was first class - bingo, quiz, music for dancing, a lady singer, a male singer/comedian who had us in stitches and not a swear word used, and Dave himself singing. We felt there should have been some access to the concert room available for disabled people as the stairs were too many for some of the less agile. All in all we had a superb stay and we must mention the photographer. He took some lovely snaps of us at the table and offered photos, fridge magnets and key rings at very reasonable prices. Thank you Carlton Hotel for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Room 201 sea view - 2nd floor - end of corridor so quiet. Room has double and single bed so must be...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Thank you for your most delightful review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Carlton, we like to treat all our guests as one, its so lovely to hear from National guests and I look forward to your return, where you will be given a warm welcome!
Kind Regards
Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We came with Shearings for a four day break and can only say - Please ignore the moaners and groaners who are giving terrible reviews. We are entirely impartial and have had a wonderful holiday. The staff are the Hotel's best asset, they are friendly, happy and nothing is too much trouble for them. Yes the hotel has seen better days and the price reflects this. If you want 5 star accommodation then you must not be disappointed when paying so little to stay here. The food was excellent, lots of choices and served hot and tasty. We paid extra for the sea views and it was worth it, we also took the advice of other reviews and requested the top floor so we didn't hear any noise at all !

Room Tip: Book the top floor and avoid listening to the disco and creaking floor boards.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Robert P
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for your most positive review, it’s so refreshing to hear that you have had an open mind,
Came and stay with us and found that we are truly a wonderful place to have your holiday! I will certainly look forward to your return.
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed at the Carlton 27/01/14 to 31/01/14 and generally found the holiday compared very favourably with previous Shearings holidays, and the double bed was extremely comfortable
The gala dinner, with the 4 complimentary drinks each during that day was very enjoyable. Any query was dealt with swiftly and the staff were very helpful.
The only problem really was in the evenings after dinner. My husband uses a walking frame and so could not cope with the 14 or so steps down to the entertainment area, and so spent his time watching TV.
As I didn't want to leave him alone too often it meant I could not participate in as much of it as I should have liked, but enjoyed bingo, which I don't normally play, and the quizzes, which we'd have won every night if my husband had been with me, as when I took the quiz sheets up to him he was able to supply the answers I hadn't known or had got wrong!
At this point I must mention the Entertainments Manager, David Austin. He was a terrific compere and his singing voice and sheer professionalism made my evenings!
Might I suggest that you have his CD displayed on the front desk so guests can surprise each other with it as a gift? It's excellent value at £5 for 13 excellent tracks and is a super souvenir of the holiday. And I got mine autographed!
One more point - could there be a little more variety in the choice of postcards at reception, such as views of Gt Yarmouth itself? Being on a self drive holiday we didn't go on the coach trip to Norwich, and I had to allow myself to be borne on the wind to the post office to get some with local views.

Room Tip: Try not to be too near the staircase as people say their loud goodnights at the top of it before goi...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda19482014
Thank you for your review, I will pass on your praises to all mention and have taken note of the comments about access to the entertainment room, with the spring looming we will have a full range of freshly printed postcards available at reception.
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Just returned from a 4 nights 5 day at the Carlton Hotel Great Yarmouth with Shearings.As usual the coach journeys via Normanton was excellant.The tour coach driver very good.The hotel was warm,clean,the staff very good and obliging, however the first impression was not up to standard,this being the worn edges of the stair carpet leading to the first floor,it,s like an accident waiting to happen, otherwise excellant.The entertainment was first class.I was surprised that there were no self service at breakfast with cereals etc, if so this would had reduced the time you had to wait being served.(this appears to work well at the Windermere hotel, and no fixed seating arrangements,sit where you like.I was seated at table 4 .there were 6 of us ,no space to spare.!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Gordon R
Thank you for your review, I will pass on your praises to the staff, as we speak "New" carpet is being ordered! we have limited space in the dining room, so sorry we have to allocate seating and we count H & S high on our agenda, I do hope this clears up these issues and look forward to your return.
Widnes
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We booked our holiday in June last year for a midweek break which consisted of a twin room and two single rooms. We paid £145 for the singles after our discounts and £125 for the twin which we were happy with, this included a discount of £25 each, bit miffed that some only paid £89 last minute booking but thats life. The journey was nice and relaxed and arrived about 4.45, I must say I was impressed with the fact that Micky the manager came onto the coach with our keys so no check in was necessary. I arrived in the room which was nothing more than a cupboard, had to open the room door and go into the bathroom to close the door. I went down to reception and was given a bigger cupboard, the heat in the room was overwhelming and I turned the radiators off and opened the windows which remained open for the duration of the holiday. The service was outstanding in the dining room, our waiter was James, nothing was too much trouble and he was always happy. The food was exceptionally nice, plenty of choice and always hot, compliments to the chef. The entertainment was varied and something for everyone, to be honest we had a great crowd and everyone got on and mixed and had great fun. The staff at the Carlton are a great, very professional whilst having a sense of humour. The trips were nice, I particularly like the half day to Norwich, plenty to do. Would I go again, sorry a definite no. I was disappointed with Great Yarmouth, thought it was a bit of a dump.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BernieBarwise
Thank you for your review, Shearing’s offer many fantastic value holidays and priced accordingly to suit individual choices’ will pass on your praises to all the staff and really hope you will give Great Yarmouth another try! It’s really is a beautiful place!
LTNJET
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Just returned from our third visit to the Bay Carlton in Gt Yarmouth.
We drove ourselves to the hotel and free parking was easy, right in front of the hotel. Check in was simple and quick, we found our sea view room easily. The hotel appears to have had a partial makeover since our last visit, the public areas in particular. As always the restaurant food was wholesome, varied and served in our case very promptly by Marta. We did not venture to entertainment but understand it was very good. The added bonus of the four drinks vouchers each for the 'party weekend' was very good value.

Room Tip: Although we had a sea view room [ 121 ] it was very noisy in the evening as it is above the Bar
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LTNJET
Thank you for your informative review, I am so pleased your you had a pleasant stay and hope you return to the Carlton very soon in the near future.